Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB gone blank....

Options
  • 31-12-2007 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi guys, wondering if you could give me advise/solutions or answers. I have a usb key USB 2.0 Plus, can't see a company name.

I was using the last couple of days for saving an essay and my friend had here own work on it. I just plugged it in now and it's coming up blank. Everything seems to be gone. Anybody know whats going on?

I noticed recently also that there was a cable with the USB key, vis-a-vi you plug the USB into the cable and then the cable into the USB port and it seems to flick on and off but now I'm just using the usb key itself..

Anyway thanks for listening, hope to hear back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Well the cable is just an extension for the USB key if, say, you were using adjacent ports and your key had no room to plug in.

As for going blank, it really could be many things. Have you tried plugging it in to another computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I've lost the data on my USB stick twice. Both times it was because I had repeatedly unplugged it from the PC without first using the "safely remove hardware" function in windows, eventually it got sick of warning me and decided to take revenge.

If the drive isn't seen on a couple of other PCs, you could try plugging it in and running a data recovery app on it, see if it picks anything up. Can't really recommend a free one, not much experience in that area but theres a demo version of GetDataBack for Fat32 downloadable from http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm, assuming it can scan a USB drive that'll at least tell you if there's data there to be recovered.

Advertisement