Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer Pup - Various

Options
  • 31-12-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

HI ALL,

I HAVE RECENTLY ADDED A NEW ADDTION TO THE FAMILY - A LOVELY FEMALE BOXER PUP.

SHE IS 13 WEEKS OLD AND I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS THAT HOPEFULLY PEOPLE CAN ANSWER.

- SHE KEEPS ON BITING ON HER TAIL - WHICH HAS BEEN CROPPED . IS THIS BECAUSE IT IS HEALING OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE.:confused:

- AFTER COMING HOME FROM WORK TODAY AND FOR SOME REASON ONE OF HER EYELIDS WERE SWOLLEN ? ANY IDEA?

- HAS ANYBODY GOT ANY GOOD TIPS ON TRAINING ETC? I HAVE HER SITTING DOWN WHEN ASKED AND ALSO SHE IS MOVING CLOSER AND CLOSER TO THE BACK DOOR FOR GOING THE TOILET. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

HOPE YOU CAN HELP,

ROB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

She sounds lovely, is her tail completly healed up? It would be great if they stopped docking dogs' tails, they look so nice with their natural tails but thats another thread lol.

as for the eye, maybe she knocked it on something while she was unsupervised?

Is she left alone very long during the day? If she is left alone all day while you are at work you should consider getting her a companion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MOLLY13102007

Thanks For Thats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the eyelid is still swollen off to the vet you go.

Does the dog have toys to chew on?? Kongs are brilliant! Pups need lots of toys as teething is painful!

Training classes would be a good idea - ask in the vet & see if they can recomend someone.

Pups are hard work & like kids get very bored & destructive when they are bored! If you are away all day you may want to consider paying a dog walker to brake up the bordom of being alone & to help tire out the pup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Hi,

I read your other thread about the puppy itching etc and you say her eye is red? And that she is biting her tail, im a boxer breeder so i may be able to offer you advice on this.

Some boxers get conjunctivitis some suffer from an inverted eyelid- get this checked by a vet asap (it may be minor)

Re the biting of the tail, this isnt normal behaviour, at 13weeks the cropped should be healed if it were cropped by a vet and stitiched, are you 100% certain the tail was cropped by a vet and not a cow boy type breeder? Is the hair growing on the tip of the tail or is it red or swollen or scappy like? This needs to be looked at by a vet?

Re the allergies, this isnt a good sign in a young puppy It could be a form of mange inherited from the sire or dam, boxers are prone to skin conditions and not just white boxers as some people seem to think? Or your puppy may have allergies to certain foods etc. A test should be done on your puppy to see what is wrong, a scrap test should be taken and sent away to find out.

It all comes down to the breeder the parents and the tests carried out so on, with so many things happening at such a young age it doesnt seem all that good, usually there all linked and lead to further problems down the line. Contact the breeder once you know what is wrong with your puppy and believe me something is wrong and this isnt normal for a healthy boxer puppy, and find out is this breeder reputable have you an agreement made with the breeder if the boxer is unhealthy etc, a good breeder which give a refund and take back the puppy.

It also could just be stress or anxiety when settling into a new environment either way only a VET can give you a diagnosis, dont delay and get the puppy checked over.

Advertisement