Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best single player shoot em up games?

• 31-12-2007 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hey,

Dont have the net so can't play mutiplayer:(.Are games like cod4 and halo 3 worth buying for the single player modes alone?.I heard the gameplay only lasts about 6 hours...Are there any other games that are worth buying at the moment?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

COD4 has replay value in the higher difficulty settings.

If you're looking for value, get The Orange Box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CoD4 is worth it for the single player alone, its all I can play because I have terrible lag on my connection.

Bio Shock and Rainbow 6 Vegas are good single player shoots aswell. Halo 3 is OK, it's a bit too easy and it doesn't make me want to go back and play it again.

FEAR is good if you haven't played it on the PC when it first came out.

CoD 2 is also worth a look if you've never played it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

that orange box looks pretty neat,great reviews.gotta feeling it would frustrate the hell out of me though as i have the attention span,patience and gaming skills of a 6 year old girl

These games look like bargains on the argos site

halo 3 -34 bucks
    graw -29 bucks
    call of duty 3 -29 bucks

CoD4 is worth it for the single player alone, its all I can play because I have terrible lag on my connection.

Bio Shock and Rainbow 6 Vegas are good single player shoots aswell. Halo 3 is OK, it's a bit too easy and it doesn't make me want to go back and play it again.

rainbow 6 was one i meant to buy ages ago,its defo a game im going to try and get in the futurec t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

try halo,1,2, quake 4 .timesplitters 1,2,3.ts has loadsa levels,weapons,modes with offline bot play,if you have xbox 1.PERFECT DARK zero is a great single player game too.TERMINATOR 3 ,is 360 compatible.Its a great game,if played on hard level games last longer.too many people play throughh them on easy setting,and then say games are too short.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

I dont think any of the Timesplitters' can be played on Xbox 360...

I would highly recommend Rainbow Six:Vegas or FEAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

bioshock is the best game i have played since the original halo also liked the darkness and graw can be picked up for around 15 euro:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

Yeah i second Bioshock for single player FPS.

Orange box is a close second though.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Definitely pick of CoD4. I got it at Christmas and it's amazing. The graphics are unreal and it's a hell of a lot of fun. I dont know how long it is but I've played a good few hours at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Mass Effect is an rpg/fps ,fantastic game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Get the orange box, seriously! It has to be the best value gaming release ever. Each and every game in it is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Dcully wrote: »
    Mass Effect is an rpg/fps ,fantastic game.

Mass Effect is rpg/third person shooting like GRAW the is no first person about it. Still a class game though.

Thats what ruined the Ghost Recon series for me, they went tps its just not the same as a fps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah my bad i meant shoot em up,im used to typing fps :)

The orange box is excellent as mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Totally agree about COD2 if you want a good cheapo. Its somehow better than COD3.I think its down to infinity ward developing COD2 and somone else developing COD3.Since COD2, infinity ward have been developing COD4 so thats the true sequel

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

wouldn't really call any of the games mentioned here "Shoot'em ups"
    they're all nearly FPSs.
    Try Assault Heroes on Xbox Live. A shoot'em up in the truest sense of the phrase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Get Orange Box. One of the best games this year. Almost every game in it I would give 9/10 to except maybe episode one which would get a 7 but episode 2 more than makes up for it.

HL2 is incredible and so is Portal. If you do get online, you will finally be able to enjoy TF2 when you do which is a proper online team game with good humour, graphics and game play.

In short, Orange Box FTW!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Half Life 2 is unbelievably linear.
    You'll find that in cities and in some buildings there are electric generators so you can't go off and have a little exploration for yourself. The combat is also extremely easy, you can just stand in fron of an enemy and and pump away. you have so much health and shielding that you can't seem to die. And there's always loads of topups around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jayteecork wrote: »
    Half Life 2 is unbelievably linear.
    You'll find that in cities and in some buildings there are electric generators so you can't go off and have a little exploration for yourself. The combat is also extremely easy, you can just stand in fron of an enemy and and pump away. you have so much health and shielding that you can't seem to die. And there's always loads of topups around.

You do realize that the difficulty can be increased in most games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

COD 4 on single player is a pretty short, albeit excellent, game.
    You'll finish it easily in a couple of days on hard - you can always
    replay it on veteran difficulty. I really enjoyed it and my only gripe
    was that it was too short. I'd avoid COD 3 and get COD 2 instead.

Bioshock, The Darkness and Orange Box are all worth picking up.

Rainbow 6 Vegas is in my opinion a must-buy for the 360 for both
    single player, split-screen co-op and multiplayer. I'm still playing it
    over a year after buying.

Thanks for the advice.Was going to get the orange box but i couldnt find it in the stores i went to.so i got "call of duty2" and "rainbox 6" in argos for 39.99:).I think they made a mistake at the checkout as it was meant to be the two of them for 55 euro

• Advertisement
Advertisement