Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead man's cheque.

Options
  • 31-12-2007 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

This is hypothetical.

A writes a cheque to me on 01.01.08 and that is the date on the cheque.

I assume the cheque is valid for 6 months.

Before I get to lodge it A dies.

Can I present the cheque to be honoured from A's current account or do I have to present it to his estate for payment ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I would imagine that if you get to lodge before his account is frozen or closed that the cheque would be honoured if in account is in funds as the cheque is legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

As soon as his bank gets informed that he has passed its very liklely that all transactions on his account will stopped and his estate will take care of any unfinished business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭White Knight

The mandate of a cheque expires on the death of the drawer (issuer), even if the cheque was issued during the life of the drawer.

The unpaid cheque should be retained by the payee, as it may be valuable if legal proceedings follow.

Advertisement