Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Live Connection - IP Address Failed

• 31-12-2007 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Ok, I'll start with a bit of a back story.

My brother got an 3-month Xbox Live membership last Christmas and set everything up...so everything is fine...woo hoo...
    It runs out in March, and I buy a 12-month suscription...woo hoo.

But, sometime around September, the console dies (It was bought on launch day so it had a good long life)...boo hoo

So I go 3 months without anything to play with (shhh), untill last Thursday when I buy my myself a 360 core version...
    And then I think to myself, the hard-drive from the other Xbox still has 3-months Xbox Live membership on it....why let it go to waste ??

But the problem is, since it is a new console....I have to configure the connection. I cant get my brother to do it because he is off galivanting around the world for 3 months.

The connection test keeps failing at IP Address, when as far as I can see, I have input all the information correctly.

Can ayone help ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

sorry mate, but if keeps failing the IP test, you must be doing something wrong. check your ip settings again. who is ypur BB provider? if its eircom, you should have it set to automatic, you dont have to put in ip address,dns and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

collie1 wrote: »
    sorry mate, but if keeps failing the IP test, you must be doing something wrong. check your ip settings again. who is ypur BB provider? if its eircom, you should have it set to automatic, you dont have to put in ip address,dns and so on
    Yes, its Eircom, but when I set it to automatic, it doesn't assign an IP address....

Also, I already tried those support pages but nothing seems to work...I must be missing something :confused:

im not with eircom meself, but i think you have go into your netopia router and configer it. im sure someone will post who is with eircom and give you in depth details. hope it works out and happy new year

im not with eircom meself, but i think you have go into your netopia router and configer it. im sure someone will post who is with eircom and give you in depth details. hope it works out and happy new year

Ok....thanks to both of you.
    Yeah, hopefully someone can give me in depth details....untill then I will have to be content with boring story modes of games :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ok, back to the start.

How is the xbox connected to your router?

zabbo wrote: »
    Ok, back to the start.

How is the xbox connected to your router?

Wireless....network adapter
    Connection test passes first 2 tests...("Network Adapter" and "Wireless Network")

try pluging ethernet wire from modem into xbox. forget about wireless for now and see if you can connect via ethernet cable

try pluging ethernet wire from modem into xbox. forget about wireless for now and see if you can connect via ethernet cable

Er...nope...I dont think so...do I plug the cable into my router or directly into the phone line ??
    It doesn't work if I plug it into the router anyway...

Ok, it's cool, the wireless is easy enough to setup.

Can you scan and select your wireless network ?

• Advertisement

Ok, it's cool, the wireless is easy enough to setup.

Can you scan and select your wireless network ?

Yeah it's picking it up ok....

Ok, thats good.

Now for the IP settings.

Set these to manual.

You need to replicate the settings from your PC.

Open Windows, Start - Run - type in "cmd" press enter

A small black window opens up, type in "ipconfig /all" press enter

this will display your IP settings, copy these for your xbox (Gateway / Subnet Mask / DNS etc.), but use a different IP address, if your PC ip is 192.168.1.5, use 192.168.1.10 for the xbox.

That should ensure you have the correct IP settings, test xbox live connection again and see if you get to the next stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Hey guys.
    Sorry to go off topic...sort of!!!, Im having the same problem but im stuck at the DNS settings.
    Anyone know NTL's DNS server address,? the primary and back up?, just need to input it into the settings myself.
    I called NTL's tech support and the guy I spoke to didn't know what DNS was...!

Cheers for the help.!

Ok, thats good.

Now for the IP settings.

Set these to manual.

You need to replicate the settings from your PC.

Open Windows, Start - Run - type in "cmd" press enter

A small black window opens up, type in "ipconfig /all" press enter

this will display your IP settings, copy these for your xbox (Gateway / Subnet Mask / DNS etc.), but use a different IP address, if your PC ip is 192.168.1.5, use 192.168.1.10 for the xbox.

That should ensure you have the correct IP settings, test xbox live connection again and see if you get to the next stage :)

The info I get through the command prompt is different to the info on router page....is this normal ??
    Neither of it works though...
    I tried changing the ip address on the xbox to something close to both those ip's.....but it still fails...

Is there some way I can get the Xbox to automatically pick up the IP...automatic isn't working for me...

erm.....bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Well i am on Wireless and i sometimes get IP fails. Its either because:

a) Some other device like a PC or Laptop is using the connection and it wont sign in untill the Xbox is the only thing using the connection.

b) The console is just a little to far from the router.

Thats the story for me, hope its as basic for you.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Well i am on Wireless and i sometimes get IP fails. Its either because:

a) Some other device like a PC or Laptop is using the connection and it wont sign in untill the Xbox is the only thing using the connection.

b) The console is just a little to far from the router.

Thats the story for me, hope its as basic for you.

Hmm, unfortunatley it's not...
    Ive tried with the laptop switched off, and it worked before at the exact same distance from the router...
    Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

I just set up my friends xbox live with the wireless adaptor yesterday. I was having alot of trouble with it, sometimes it would fail on DNS others on MTU and xboxlive. So heres what I did:
    Went to the router settings page eg.192.168.2.1 (Belkin)
    Find and click restore factory defaults
    Then go to virtual servers and open ports UDP 88, 3074 and TCP 3074
    if you have a netopia I think its under port forwarding?
    save changes.
    We were still having trouble connecting at this stage so as a last resort I decided to turn off the xbox and unplug the adaptor. Connected it back again and boom there you go all worked perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Xabs wrote: »
    The info I get through the command prompt is different to the info on router page....is this normal ??
    Neither of it works though...
    I tried changing the ip address on the xbox to something close to both those ip's.....but it still fails...

Is there some way I can get the Xbox to automatically pick up the IP...automatic isn't working for me...

Xlabs,
    Can you post back the settings you got from your PC?
    And also let me know what settings you tried to put in
    your Xbox Ip address?

Each network can have different addresses - the most common would probably be 192.168.1.XXX, but guessing what IP adress chain you use is a waste of time. We need to find out what address you use on your PC.

So do as Zabroo said and run ipconfig (for details how see his post)
    After that let us know what ip address has come up and also look for DHCP and see if it's enabled (all can be seen from the ipconfig command)

Trig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Then go to virtual servers and open ports UDP 88, 3074 and TCP 3074
    if you have a netopia I think its under port forwarding?

Yeah, the correct ports for XBox Live are already saved on the Netopia router. You go to the "Custom Services" menu and you can pick "XBox Live" from a drop down list of games and programmes, and enable it. That'll open the correct ports.

You then need to select the correct machine to the service on, which should obviously be the console and not your PC, but your network already needs to know the IP of the console in order for you to set this.

OP, when you check your network connections on your PC, can you see it picking up a connection to the XBox at all?

• Advertisement

Triangle wrote: »
    Xlabs,
    Can you post back the settings you got from your PC?
    And also let me know what settings you tried to put in
    your Xbox Ip address?

Each network can have different addresses - the most common would probably be 192.168.1.XXX, but guessing what IP adress chain you use is a waste of time. We need to find out what address you use on your PC.

So do as Zabroo said and run ipconfig (for details how see his post)
    After that let us know what ip address has come up and also look for DHCP and see if it's enabled (all can be seen from the ipconfig command)

Trig

Physical Address : Blah Blah Blah
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    AutoConfig Enabled : Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.1.XXX
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server: same
    DNS Servers: same
    Lease Obtained: Blah Blah
    Lease Expired: blah Blah

Then there is completely different info on my router page....

PS. Would restoring my router to factory defaults have any negative effects ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Xabs wrote: »
    Physical Address : Blah Blah Blah
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    AutoConfig Enabled : Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.1.XXX
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server: same
    DNS Servers: same
    Lease Obtained: Blah Blah
    Lease Expired: blah Blah

Then there is completely different info on my router page....

PS. Would restoring my router to factory defaults have any negative effects ??

What do you mean by your router page? (is this the router configuration page?) Taking aside this remark......

DHCP is enabled yet if you allow this on your xbox there is no Address assigned. This leads me to believe it's the wireless settings on your xbox.
    Did you say previously that there's still no internet on the xbox even if you use a cable joining the xbox to the router (a network cable)?

Or it could be that your DHCP lease is limited to a number of addresses (i.e. only 2 items can get an address within a certain period, this could be your computer and a laptop.... these are just examples)

it's hard to say, it usually is something 'small'. The time it would take to resetup Vs the time it would take to find the problem would dictate which would be best (i.e. reset it or not) Do you know how to setup a DSL router/wireless connection (sorry i'm not too sure what tech knowledge you have)?

The best method is to start at the basics and work up.

1) can you get a LAN connection (i.e. by using a cable) if not troubleshoot network settings
    2) if LAN works and WAN (wireless) doesn't troubleshoot Wireless

I find it hard to troubleshoot over the internet - so sorry if this doesn't help.

trig

Triangle wrote: »
    What do you mean by your router page? (is this the router configuration page?) Taking aside this remark......

DHCP is enabled yet if you allow this on your xbox there is no Address assigned. This leads me to believe it's the wireless settings on your xbox.
    Did you say previously that there's still no internet on the xbox even if you use a cable joining the xbox to the router (a network cable)?

Or it could be that your DHCP lease is limited to a number of addresses (i.e. only 2 items can get an address within a certain period, this could be your computer and a laptop.... these are just examples)

it's hard to say, it usually is something 'small'. The time it would take to resetup Vs the time it would take to find the problem would dictate which would be best (i.e. reset it or not) Do you know how to setup a DSL router/wireless connection (sorry i'm not too sure what tech knowledge you have)?

The best method is to start at the basics and work up.

1) can you get a LAN connection (i.e. by using a cable) if not troubleshoot network settings
    2) if LAN works and WAN (wireless) doesn't troubleshoot Wireless

I find it hard to troubleshoot over the internet - so sorry if this doesn't help.

trig

Yeah I mean my router configuration page....

I tried but can't get a LAN connection....
    this could be because the cable is ages old.....I had to pull it out of the shed...

I don't think it's because the DHCP lease is limited, as I only have 2 items....laptop and Xbox360....no PC...

Advertisement