Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brutal Legend - Tim Schafer's latest brainchild

Options
  • 31-12-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Anybody seen the new game by the dev team that made pyschonauts?

It's due out next year/this year on both the xbox 360 and ps3.

Here's a quote on the gameplay from wikipedia
    Brütal Legend is a third person action game, the gameplay is similar to others in the genre. Eddie Riggs wields a battle axe he found at the beginning of the game as a primary melee weapon, while his second weapon is a guitar that he brought back with him from the real world. A forward attack sends Eddie attacking his enemies with the battle axe, while a wider slash attack takes out a larger quantity of enemies. Using the guitar (which has magical powers in the Heavy Metal Era), Eddie Riggs can play it to cast magic spells. The guitar is used as a ranged assault weapon, when wielded players can perform a guitar solo in response to your combo-styled button presses. Attacks are based upon the combo pressed in, possible combos include a pyrotechnics display where flames come from the ground to burn your enemies. A third weapon is the Deuce, a drop-top coupe Eddie builds out of spare parts he finds. The Deuce can be used to run enemies over, but it is also used to traverse the large game world. Eddie can use his magic guitar to summon the Deuce. Ancient garages can be used to upgrade the Deuce with weapons and abilities. A large part of the gameplay involves controlling an army of metal-themed characters, such as...

* Thick-necked Headbangers
    * Roadies that carry amps that blast killer feedback
    * "Runaways", girls who battle with spears while riding on Eddie and the other characters' shoulders
    * "Fire Barons" that trap enemies in rings of fire left by their motorbikes
    * Large-fisted Bouncers.

When Eddie defeats a type of character, they will then join his army. Each type has its own attributes. Simple commands such as "Defend" or "Attack" are issued to the army by use of the D-Pad.

And here's the announcement trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26524.html

So what do you guys think of it? Personally its good to see a bit of innovation in a game and some risk taking by a publisher , something that seems to be missing from this generation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i never really pay attention to cgi teasers that include no actual gameplay, aand wikipedia can suck it, especially about things that haven't even happened yet, but...

Doublefine and Tim Schaefer? i'm fu cking exited about that. psychnauts is one of the finest games ever made and now with greater resources they can do even better. r rated too, which means the humour can be a bit more adult, i like that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I am quite excited by this game I must admit. It boggles the mind that so many refuse to play Psychonauts even when most people who have played it are full of gushing praise. It was kind of a failure for original, good gaming but good to see them another chance.

Hopefully this will reinvigorate the hack n slash genre like Pyschonauts delivered a surreal jolt to platformers in general.

Advertisement