Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I set my firewall settings to low?

• 01-01-2008 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I have Eircom Broadband with a netopia wireless router. I try connecting it to Xbox live and I cant download the update. So I go searching online and find that if I take down my firewall to low it should work. I have mcafee security centre so do yiu think its ok?

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Set it to low if you want to connect to Live.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207579

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No need to set it to Low, just forward the correct ports....

http://live.tommccann.net/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭hotshots85

Could be just the PPOE settings, have the same set up at home and needed to put in username and password when I was trying to connect for the first time. (theu can be changes on the network setting option)

Think its a standard username:eircom password:broadband1 for most eircom broadband customers. And leave the other option blank

I got those off of an old boards thread and worke for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Thanks guys but I set the ports low anyway my gamertag is bourkey222 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

zabbo wrote: »

A few quick questions on this.

I don't have port forwarding explicitly set up on these ports, and when I do the Connectivity tests on the console the NAT type is set as Open (not Limited, etc.).

However, Halo shows the pop-up about NAT on the Router and Matchmaking takes ages but once I'm in a game it flies along like it's supposed to.

1) Is configuring the Port Forwarding a requirement?
    2) If I configure it will that lead to quicker matchmaking?
    3) Will I see any other benefits for other games or in other Live areas?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

A few quick questions on this.

I don't have port forwarding explicitly set up on these ports, and when I do the Connectivity tests on the console the NAT type is set as Open (not Limited, etc.).

However, Halo shows the pop-up about NAT on the Router and Matchmaking takes ages but once I'm in a game it flies along like it's supposed to.

1) Is configuring the Port Forwarding a requirement?
    2) If I configure it will that lead to quicker matchmaking?
    3) Will I see any other benefits for other games or in other Live areas?

Cheers.

Fingleberries, i had the same problem. The only negative aspect i found was that i could not play ranked matches in pes2008, but i coud still play normal matches. The reason it was happening to me was because im connected by ICS but i figured out how to fix it. How are you connected to live?

Thanks mgsrocks. I connect using the Wireless Adapter directly to my Router (no Internet Connection Sharing)

I'm just curious because I can't say I'd noticed anything wrong until Halo 3 started popping up about it. (And if there's any speed improvements going, I wouldn't say no :))

Hi All, I've some strange behaviour going on here.

I've switched my XBox to using a Fixed IP instead of a DHCP address, and now the Connectivity tests show up the NAT as 'Moderate' instead of 'Open' like it did before.

Not a problem, says I. I'll set up port forwarding on the Ports required for XBox Live, as described by MS Support here
    • UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074

My Router (ZyXel - the standard BT Jobbie) accepts port 88, but when I try to configured port 3074 it gives a weird error "ERROR: FAIL TO UPDATE DUE TO... DUPLICATE PORT NUMBER!"

That sounds pretty self explanatory, but when I checked the Router configuration I can't find any reference anywhere to port 3074.

Any ideas / advice? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

zabbo wrote: »

Thanks for the link.

Before I forwarded any ports my Nat settings was showing up as "Strict"
    I opened all ports mentioned in the link and followed all instructions, now they show up as "Moderate" I'm getting more online games then before just wondering why my Nat setting is showing as "Open" I'm on Eircom broadband using a wired connection connected to the Netopia wireless router Eircom supply.

Can anyone shed any light?

• Advertisement
Advertisement