Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pylon Pressure

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Drive around the country and every town is against something. No quarry, no superdump (no such thing as a dump, they're always "superdumps"), no incinerator, no prison, no pylons, no windfarm, no substation, no phone mast, no hospital, no school. No, hold on, people have no objections to the last 2 because they're facilities to make their life easier. Where the same people don't care where they get their electricity. where they dump their rubbish as long as it's not beside them. In one town i was in there was a councellors notice about objecting to a mobile phone mast, and her contact number below was an 086 number!
    Pure nimbys. And it's nothing to do with "health", people just like to get together and moan about stuff. It costs 6-10 times the price to go underground, i reckon if electricity bills went up 6-10 times the pylon pressure guys would have no problem if the line went underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

so i presume the lines are not coming right beside your house, I think you would change your mind if you had to look out your window every morning and see a 100meter plyon staring back at you.

I read in the paper at the weekend that Germany are going to put all theses high powered line underground in future.

Also, remember back maybe 10-15 years ago, electricity cables hung everywhere in towns and it was very unsightly..... now they are all being buried in towns.

An incinerator is being proposed to be developed beside us also, I have no problem with that all long as they use new incinerator technology - the same that is used in Switzerland and France, way better than the 1st incinerators that were made.
    as regards the incinerator
    People would have no problems if the developers specified that they are using the lastest technology to capture the harmful gasses. but Ireland being Ireland its cheaper to just pump it into the atmosphere.
    But they havent come out and said they and that is why there is problems there.

The mobile phone mast were a big issue in our area a few years ago, I bit of a joke really as the protestors were using their mobile to call in complaint to radio stations etc.
    There are base stations in the town and people dont know what they are and I have never heard a complaint from them -

so if you cant see it , its not a problem

abakan wrote: »
    so i presume the lines are not coming right beside your house, I think you would change your mind if you had to look out your window every morning and see a 100meter plyon staring back at you.

As I said, nimby. No problem with pylons as long as you don't have to see them. Cables are put underground in new estates because contractors put in the underground ducts and it makes the estate look nicer, and house easier to sell. Why don't the farmers in the area pay to put it underground themselves?

The farmers have offered to dig the trenches for Eirgrid themselves and group has said they would hire contractors to dig, it would be cheaper and probally quicker but Eirgrid dont want to know, government project afterall

Eirgrid have not even down a soil test of where they will put the plyons, that just take the samples taken from the collite lands and national parks in the area, by no way an indication of the soil test where the pylons will be based.

Eirgrid seem like cowboys to me.

They have already some line buried underground in Dublin, they dont want to make rows of estate house look ugly buy would rather make the country ugly.

The country already looks ugly, almost all the natural forests are gone to make way for pasture lands and crop growing by farmers.

• Advertisement

I know thats not what your saying but Eirgrid could be thinking "sure we'll put plyons up because the country already looks ugly".

that a bad attitude to have in fairness. We should be trying to make the country look better, right some of the wrongs of the past.

Every country in the world has pylons. I think they just have to be accepted. Obviously not everyone likes them, but they understand they're needed. There's a double 220kv pylon and line near my appartment in Parkwest. In dublin!! This happens in everywhere, it's completely unfeasable to put every line underground.

sure well fill the county with plyons and incinerators and nuclear power stations, maybe its people like you that are making these kinds of decisions. I am not against having power lines.

Why completly unfeasable!! an independant study confirmed that it it not that much more expensive.

and no it does not happen everywhere - ready the past few posts again please and come back to here with a sensible argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

sure well fill the county with plyons and incinerators and nuclear power stations, maybe its people like you that are making these kinds of decisions. I am not against having power lines.

Why completly unfeasable!! an independant study confirmed that it it not that much more expensive.

and no it does not happen everywhere - ready the past few posts again please and come back to here with a sensible argument.

who are you to rule that the previous posts were not sensible arguements
    the majority of those who oppose the pylons have views that are based purely on emotion rather than rationale

but what is an arguement that states just because he has a pylon outside his apartment, that it is alrite everyone else to have one.

some of the agruement that were raised were very valid and I take their points onboard.

• Advertisement

but what is an arguement that states just because he has a pylon outside his apartment, that it is alrite everyone else to have one.
    You said earlier "so i presume the lines are not coming right beside your house". Can I not answer you without you attacking me?

At least you've given up playing the health and safety "argument", seems the real problem is you don't want to look at them.

all I saying is I think there are more benefits to having them underground that having them over ground.

there is still a health and safety argement and devaluation of property issue

Alot of other countries are coming to the realisation that they are going to put them underground so why dosent Ireland.

Also these things are massive, have you any idea of the amount of steel involved in constructing the plyons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GenericUser

all I saying is I think there are more benefits to having them underground that having them over ground.

there is still a health and safety argement and devaluation of property issue

Alot of other countries are coming to the realisation that they are going to put them underground so why dosent Ireland.

Also these things are massive, have you any idea of the amount of steel involved in constructing the plyons.

This goes to all of those in the northeast opposed to pylons...not just to the quoted poster.
    When you are sitting in your house posting on boards by candlelight, and worrying that you wont be able to make your post because your laptop battery is about to run out, and wondering why you live in an unemployment blackspot with no major industry, then you will see the 'benefits' of underground electricity transmission.
    No other countries are coming to the realisationyou speak off. Why? Because they dont want to end up in the situation above.
    That is what will happen if cables are put in instead of lines.

Heres a question for you: What makes the people in the northeast different to the people of limerick, clare, kilkenny, tipperary, westmeath, laois?, or for that matter the whole country? These people have had 400kV OH lines in their back yard for over 20 years. In fact there is over 250km's of 400kV lines already existant in this country. Did you ask them how many of thier kids got cancer from the lines? How come those counties havent seen drop offs in tourism? have their properties been devalued? When was the last time you drove to cork? or Galway? Did you even notice those lines draped accross the landscape?
    I bet you didnt. Why? Because it wasnt in your back yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

This goes to all of those in the northeast opposed to pylons...not just to the quoted poster.
    When you are sitting in your house posting on boards by candlelight, and worrying that you wont be able to make your post because your laptop battery is about to run out, and wondering why you live in an unemployment blackspot with no major industry, then you will see the 'benefits' of underground electricity transmission.
    No other countries are coming to the realisationyou speak off. Why? Because they dont want to end up in the situation above.
    That is what will happen if cables are put in instead of lines.

Heres a question for you: What makes the people in the northeast different to the people of limerick, clare, kilkenny, tipperary, westmeath, laois?, or for that matter the whole country? These people have had 400kV OH lines in their back yard for over 20 years. In fact there is over 250km's of 400kV lines already existant in this country. Did you ask them how many of thier kids got cancer from the lines? How come those counties havent seen drop offs in tourism? have their properties been devalued? When was the last time you drove to cork? or Galway? Did you even notice those lines draped accross the landscape?
    I bet you didnt. Why? Because it wasnt in your back yard.

the whole anti pylon campaign is just another example of the petty shortsightedness that prevails in this country , anyways , i havent heard too much about it lately , with the economy having tanked , people have real problems to worry about now , thier is no way people are going to pay extra taxes just so a bunch of easily scared hysterics can rest easy in thier minds because power cables are six feet under as opposed to 66 feet over , the whole thing is an exercise in gombeenery

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Sorry for bringing back an old thread but has anyone any idea how far along these plans are now? Eirgrid website not saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

There's not much on the NEPP website either!

http://www.pylonpressure.ie

Advertisement