Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw 31/1 of 12/1(spoilers if you havnt seen it)

• 01-01-2008 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

The show that transgressed 2 days and a year. I'm doing the Gerard.C type of show review, by the way most of this stuff I don't care about.

-Kennedy has one of the most generic finishers ever. Its a Flatliner and it finished HBK off far too easily. The Green Bay Plunge was a good and original finisher.

-You can always predict when Vince and HHH are going to be in the show, tonight no different. A new drinking game could be when WWE backstage announcers say "My guest at this time", drink some beer. But back to the point, you cant tell they are coming up when they have not been on the first half hour of the show.(Vince appearance no. 1).

-Big Dick Johnson, Jillian Hall and an utterly old and stale DAMN. DAMN was funny at the start but by now its as old as Ron Simmons. Turn Simmons heel and reform the A.P.A.(Sarcasm,happy)

-Vince is bigger than all his stars and keeps it that way by always crediting himself for everything on TV. Even if it is him, he should put other people over in promos. (Vince appearance no. 2)

-Washed up Hack on TV, referring of course to 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan. Would he ever retire and stop taking younger stars spots. Sound familiar.

-Where are London and Kendrick, they are pretty over and extremely talented yet the best they can do is a Nick Nemeth vs. Brian Kendrick match on Heat. Horrible waste of talent.

-Oh, Vince and Flair. How lovely. (Vince appearance no. 3 in 45 minutes of the show all within 15 minutes.)

-They lie about the winner of the Royal Rumble getting main event at Wrestlemania, the last 2 years they have not and, in my opinion, those matches have been better "main events."

-God JBL's entrance was very, long with alot of pointless pyro. People near the ramps were more interested in the balloons more than the entrance.

-After the long entrance of JBL, quite good promo and decent brawl, interrupted by the coming of the new year we had a womens title match. It was sloppy, pointless and the crowd were not into it in the slightest. It also made me see how WWE's most talented diva, Victoria, is on Smackdown. The brand with no womens division and no womens title.

-Vince number 4 in the pointless match between Hornswoggle(one of the most over superstars in the WWE and he can barely wrestle, though he is a great actor to give him credit). Regal scheduled to compete but where is the ring gear. He is one of the most talented wrestlers in the WWE, one of the best talkers and yet he never got his chance. IMO, could have been World Champion, hell Khali was. Wasted talent Regal is. Dreadful match and working some form of storyline between Vince and Regal.

-Carlito was checking out Maria as they walked down the ramp, I can see why.

-This was yet another DQ finish in a WWE TV show main event, there has been an absolute ton of those lately. Barely any main event can end by pinfall or submission anymore.

-Flair has got to start winning clean or this entire angle is pointless. He has got to be made look like he can still go and still be the best not win by interference.low blow, count out and disqualification. HHH wouldn't even put his friend over clean.

Thats my Raw review Gerard.C style. See how easy it is to pick holes in absolutely everything. So, Happy New Year to all and may you all have a very prosperous year, as the politicians say.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

To be honest I find most of that spot on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I haven't seen this yet but I plan to watch as one of my mates texted me last night to say that it was the most he'd been into a Raw since before WM. Maybe he was just drunk, but I'm sure I'll have something to say after watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

I have to say, I too found it entertaining. the womens match was nowhere near as bad as your saying. ive been critical of flairs ability to work a match at his age but he was damn good. overall a good start to the year. to say otherwise is to be extremely critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'm not saying anything about the quality of the match. It was quite good for a 58 year old in the ring. I'm just saying DQ finishes and count outs do nothing to build up Flair as a hero who can still go with the best of them. He needs to win clean for the storyline to be the best it can be.

The womens match was poor at best. Leave Melina out, she can do some decent moves but between those she is rubbish. Mickie and Phoenix could have a good feud which is what womens wrestling needs, feuds not just half assed built. The best thing going in TNA is a womens feud.

And it was an end and start of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

-Kennedy has one of the most generic finishers ever. Its a Flatliner and it finished HBK off far too easily. The Green Bay Plunge was a good and original finisher.

I actually don't mind Kennedys finisher. But your argument that it is generic is a bit silly. I mean, the biggest star of all time used a Leg Drop as his finisher. Just goes to show that a finisher can be generic yet great if it gets over. Give Kennedys finisher time before bashing it.

-You can always predict when Vince and HHH are going to be in the show, tonight no different. A new drinking game could be when WWE backstage announcers say "My guest at this time", drink some beer. But back to the point, you cant tell they are coming up when they have not been on the first half hour of the show.(Vince appearance no. 1).

They are two of the main stars of the show. Hardly that hard to predict their appearance now, is it?

-Big Dick Johnson, Jillian Hall and an utterly old and stale DAMN. DAMN was funny at the start but by now its as old as Ron Simmons. Turn Simmons heel and reform the A.P.A.

Why would you reform the APA? You gave out about Jim Duggan being washed up, yet apparantly you want to see Ron Simmons wrestle more often? And why would you reform the APA when JBL is just starting a huge program with Jericho? You're not making any sense here..........just like TNA!!

-Vince is bigger than all his stars and keeps it that way by always crediting himself for everything on TV. Even if it is him, he should put other people over in promos. (Vince appearance no. 2)

Vince is a heel. That's kinda his job.

-Washed up Hack on TV, referring of course to 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan. Would he ever retire and stop taking younger stars spots. Sound familiar.

You'd rather see a younger star get squashed by Umaga?

-Where are London and Kendrick, they are pretty over and extremely talented yet the best they can do is a Nick Nemeth vs. Brian Kendrick match on Heat. Horrible waste of talent.

I agree with you, I would like to see more of London and Kendrick. But in fairness, there are some great angle son Raw ATM, so I'm not going to complain about them not being on Raw.

-Oh, Vince and Flair. How lovely. (Vince appearance no. 3 in 45 minutes of the show all within 15 minutes.)

Kurt and Karen Angle hog more TV time than Vince does. That's a poor argument on your part. You got a total of 4 Vince appearances in the end. I think on one impact there were 9 or 10 Angle appearances.

-They lie about the winner of the Royal Rumble getting main event at Wrestlemania, the last 2 years they have not and, in my opinion, those matches have been better "main events."

This is also one of the few criticisms I would have of WWE. It really undermines the Royal Rumble concept. Hopefully this will end this year though.

-God JBL's entrance was very, long with alot of pointless pyro. People near the ramps were more interested in the balloons more than the entrance.

JBL's entrance was great. It was highlighting his return to in-ring action. I am actually loving the JBL-Jericho angle ATM.

-After the long entrance of JBL, quite good promo and decent brawl, interrupted by the coming of the new year we had a womens title match. It was sloppy, pointless and the crowd were not into it in the slightest. It also made me see how WWE's most talented diva, Victoria, is on Smackdown. The brand with no womens division and no womens title.

It made you see how Victoria is on Smackdown? What? I thought this was an alright match to be honest.

-Vince number 4 in the pointless match between Hornswoggle(one of the most over superstars in the WWE and he can barely wrestle, though he is a great actor to give him credit). Regal scheduled to compete but where is the ring gear. He is one of the most talented wrestlers in the WWE, one of the best talkers and yet he never got his chance. IMO, could have been World Champion, hell Khali was. Wasted talent Regal is. Dreadful match and working some form of storyline between Vince and Regal.

The Hornswoggle thing is the only thing on Raw that I actually don't like. But to be honest, I'd rather watch it than watch a Grown man who loves rats not being able to understand that he wears make-up and black over-alls every now and then.

-Carlito was checking out Maria as they walked down the ramp, I can see why.

True. Kinda sounds like you're sucking up to MNG though ;)

-This was yet another DQ finish in a WWE TV show main event, there has been an absolute ton of those lately. Barely any main event can end by pinfall or submission anymore.

Do you actually watch TNA? This is one of TNA's biggest problems. Ref bump, Run in, etc... It's not a problem in WWE imo.

-Flair has got to start winning clean or this entire angle is pointless. He has got to be made look like he can still go and still be the best not win by interference.low blow, count out and disqualification. HHH wouldn't even put his friend over clean.

This is both right and wrong. Flair could do with a few clean wins, but HHH should not have put him over clean. Just not believeable.

• Advertisement

dont they say the rumble winner gets a wrestlemania title shot as opposed to headlining it? and jbl's entrance was tedious.

They say the will main event WM. The A.P.A. thing was sarcasm. Kurt Angle is TNA World Heavyweight Campion he would be on TV more than anybody else(maybe a little too much) but Vince is not an active wrestler and an active wrestler could use the TV time he takes up to get over.I would rather see younger talent have a competitive match with other younger talent. The JBL angle is good, his entrance was long and iritating. Ah, but TNA dont have DQ finishes very often, there may be 600 ref bumps but you normally get a pinfall finish but in WWE at the moment all the TV main events and some of the PPV main events seem to be ending in DQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

So what have you proven with your contradictory and inacurate review Machismo Fan? You're convincing no one with your wild claims that TNA is better in any way shape or form than WWE! All you've prove is that you can cut and paste someone else's crappy review and claim it as your own. Sad really.:p

flahavaj wrote: »
    So what have you proven with your contradictory and inacurate review Machismo Fan? You're convincing no one with your wild claims that TNA is better in any way shape or form than WWE! All you've prove is that you can cut and paste someone else's crappy review and claim it as your own. Sad really.:p

I would post the notes I took during the show but THAT would be sad. Ask EdK if you don't believe me as he sat next to me as I took them, even suggested a few.

I never once said TNA was better than WWE. Both have their goods and bads. Basically I believe them to be equal, I prefer TNA's wrestling and WWE's storytelling(most of the time), so don't put words in my mouth.

And it shows me to that you can't find holes in that review because you resorted to insulting me instead of counter arguing my points and who has a review up 2 hours after a show has been shown and before it was on in America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I only saw a tiny bit of Raw but I really enjoyed the Flair/Triple H segment before their match. Also seeing Flair perform in Greensboro for the last time with the reaction he got was special.

• Advertisement

And it shows me to that you can't find holes in that review because you resorted to insulting me instead of counter arguing my points and who has a review up 2 hours after a show has been shown and before it was on in America

There'sno need to counter argue, you contradict yourself so much that you're own points are counter arguments in themselves!:D

On one hand you want Simons back in the ring, on ther other Duggan is too ols and taking up other people's spots!:confused:

If you read a later post I said I was being sarcastic. Simmons is a legend but has no place in wrestling these days. Come on, argue points not my inability to bring across sarcasm in writing.

If you read a later post I said I was being sarcastic. Simmons is a legend but has no place in wrestling these days. Come on, argue points not my inability to bring across sarcasm in writing.

I think you've been owned already by Ger, there's nothing more I can say to show you how wrong you are. You're delusion is as misplaced as your use of sarcasm is I'm afraid.

Oh and Ron Simmons is far from a legend.

First black world champion is quite a thing to have on your cv to be fair

EdK wrote: »

Bobo Brazil has that from the 60's I thought. NWA Heavyweight title

I said world didnt i lol

So his achievement is being black!? That's a ridiculous notion and vaguely insulting to the man might I add. He's a former world champion who was reasonably talented but nothing special whatsoever. That does not a legend make I'm afraid. Words like "legend" and "greatness" are bandied about WAY too much these days. Guys like Flair, Hogan and Kobashi are legends. Ron Simmons is nowhere near.

Stop being a little girl its a fact i made no connection about his race it just happens to be a fact in a sport where not a huge about of black wrestlers exceled at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Being the first black anything is massive in America so I think it's a massive deal

It annoys me when people make an issue out of everything on purpose

• Advertisement

Stop being a little girl its a fact i made no connection about his race

Riiiight i must've been dreaming when you brought the colour of his skin into this when its irrelevant in a kayfabed industry! As for the little girl comment, grow up lad.
    it just happens to be a fact in a sport where not a huge about of black wrestlers exceled at the time

It is true that very few black wrestlers were pushed or even existed at the time. However his being made a world champion in a worked industry doesn't automatically make him a legend just because of the colour of his skin. Surely its more relevant to judge him on his work and not single him out as being a legend for being black!?

As I said he was a decent worker, nothing more, nothing less and certainly not a legend.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Being the first black anything is massive in America so I think it's a massive deal

Its of historical significance, sure but thats it (and as as Fozzy said Nature Boy Buddy Rogers beat him to it by ba good few decades). But that alone doesn't make him a legend in my book, which is the whole point of the argument!

As a wrestler in his own right,(Simmons that is) if you look past the colour of his skin, was pretty forgettable and nowhere NEAR legend material.

Grow up yourself man and stop picking at people to make yourself feel better

In a white dominated sport he broke ground at the time i never said he was a legend either did i he just has a couple of decent credentials, I never said he was a legend for being black either just admire the achievement of breaking through the race barrier that existed during that era.

flahavaj wrote: »
    and as as Fozzy said Nature Boy Buddy Rogers beat him to it by ba good few decades

I'm going to assume that you're just tired tonight, unless there's something I don't know about Buddy

Bobo was first, by a good 30 years. I think that it was an achievement for Bobo, but in the 90's I'm not so sure that it's a huge deal. I'd put it down to there being less black wrestlers than black wrestlers being held back or anything like that

Memory-BuddyRogers01-large.gif

Hmmm

Ha thats one of the most glorious typos I've ever made! Wonderful stuff!:o

Grow up yourself man and stop picking at people to make yourself feel better

In a white dominated sport he broke ground at the time i never said he was a legend either did i he just has a couple of decent credentials, I never said he was a legend for being black either just admire the achievement of breaking through the race barrier that existed during that era.

Who's picking at anyone!? Im just debating a point, as is the purpose of a place like this. You're the one firing around petty insults!

As Fozzy says you're overstating the whole race barrier thing. Thats all well and good back in the 60's: Simmons was champion in the 1990's, a far more enlightened time, the days of the black man being confined to the cotton fields was long since over.

True but in wrestling terms it wasnt the same and still isnt, dont get offended by my petty insults:p

Just stop puting words in my mouth about use of the word legend etc

He is definitely a legend hehe

PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year award in 1992: Ron Simmons :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just out of interest, did anyone see ECW yet. Is it just me or did the crowd seem VERY VERY enthusiastic on audio, yet any close up of the fans seemed to show them been rather timid. Could be pulling a Goldberg

True but in wrestling terms it wasnt the same and still isnt, dont get offended by my petty insults:p

Just stop puting words in my mouth about use of the word legend etc

How is it still not the same exactly? Should we put down Bobby Lashley in the HOF because he's a recent world champion who happens to be black!?

I'm not putting words in your mouth man, you're defending someone who made the point that Ron Simmons is a legend! Come to think of it, if anything you're putting words in MachisoFan's mouth!!!:p

i made one small point and somebody blew it out of proportion APA were ok he annoys me now I feel his best days were in The Nation ( that was racist too:p)

Overuse of the tongue smiley...............nah:p

He is definitely a legend hehe

PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year award in 1992: Ron Simmons :p

2003 winner: Zach Gowan. Legend!:D:D:D

True Zach Gowen is a bonified legend and if you dont agree you havent got a leg to stand on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

True Zach Gowen is a bonified legend and if you dont agree you havent got a leg to stand on

Zoom.

• Advertisement

Anyway RAW was good wasn't it?

forbesii wrote: »
    Anyway RAW was good wasn't it?

Yes it was. I would have loved a more fulfilling ending to the main event match but I think I know where they're going with it.

Triple H was great main event too I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just got round to watching Raw. I thought it was a good show. I enjoyed the angle involving Orton and Matt. I only caught the last couple of minutes of Kennedy and Michaels but what I saw was very good stuff. Don't agree with Kennedy winning clean but I guess they're still high on him so what can you do. The JBL return dragged a bit for my liking but it put him over strong and the pull apart brawl was fun. The main event was a good showing too although I agree they need to have Flair win clean if they want to get behind him in a big way.

I would add that if their plan is Triple H getting involved in the WWE title match now at the Rumble that will be such bullsh*t. I hope he just has a one-on-one match with Regal.

Anyway a good Raw overall and it's nice to see wrestling shows put together with thought and logic and that make sense to the viewer...

The main event was a good showing too although I agree they need to have Flair win clean if they want to get behind him in a big way.

They don't want to. I think the Flair angle will end up good. I think it's good right now but they won't go the full way with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I would add that if their plan is Triple H getting involved in the WWE title match now at the Rumble that will be such bullsh*t. I hope he just has a one-on-one match with Regal.
    Nah.
    Next week will be Flair vs Regal with Regal's job on the line if he loses, which he will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

no...Next week is Flair MVP !!!!.. Should be good :D:D..I likes MVP...He is better than you all ;)

Advertisement