Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical first loves?

Options
  • 01-01-2008 6:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    What were your musical first loves?
    The first tracks/albums/bands that got you really interested in popular music.

For me i was around 13 before i started to seriously like stuff.
    I remember really loving Bohemian Rhapsody when it was re-released around 1991 (IIRC). After that it was probably REM's "Losing my religion".
    First time i really started to pay attention to lyrics, melody etc in songs.

After that i started to really get into Nirvana's Nevermind and other Grunge stuff like Pearl Jam's Ten.
    GNR and Metallica were big in the early 90's as well so was listening to a bit of that as well.
    After that it was arguably more angsty stuff like Smashing Pumpkins, Therapy, Greenday, Radiohead and The Smiths and later a bit of U2.

Fairly routine fare i guess for a teenager but not without merit i suppose.

Just wondering though what your first forays into popular music were.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Queen were the first band I got into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Queen, The Beatles, ICE T and Radiohead

when I was teenager I guess it would be Radiohead, Beck, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd that I listened to the most

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I bought Legend by Bob Marley & The Wailers on casette in BPM in Wexford having heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Grease when I was 9 years old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Guess it would have been my Uncle showing me some Manic Street Preachers,Sex Pistols and REM when I was about 12. The gangtsa rap ways of my pre-adolescence was thankfully behind me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

seriously started getting into music around 93 when i was seven i remember it well, my brother brought me up on a unhealthy dose of weezer/nirvana/radiohead and metallica.

only really appreciated music when i heard Megadeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Prince was my first big musical love - around the Purple Rain/Around the World in a day era.

Followed by the Smiths and a few years later: the Stone Roses.

Although I still obviously love music, they were the last bands I was a 'fan' of.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Never had much of an interest in music(besides seeing Westlife) till I started playin the drums and then went to my first Saw Doctors concert the same summer, that was 2004. I have since seen them 10 times, have seen the Waterboys and will be going to see Bruce Springsteen. They are my 3 fav bands. I have also taken up the guitar...my love for music just keeps growing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

very first song i remember loving was Living On My Own by queen.

but my first real love of a band came when i got Nirvana's "greatest hits".that album kept me going for years and my metallica phase followed shortly after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

kev_s88 wrote: »
    very first song i remember loving was Living On My Own by queen.

A pedant writes...that was actually Freddie Mercury, solo, although it quite possibly made it onto the abortion that was 'Queens Greatest Hits 3'...(rumours that they'll release a Queens Greatest Hits 4 with just the staff from EMI singing the entire News of the World album are, as of yet, unfounded)

my own first love...Beatles. Got the Twenty Greatest hits on tape in 1982. I was 8. I still have the tape somewhere, but it's unplayable as it's practically transparent so much was it played...

I actually was a Queen fan as well, but too late to be able to do anything about it apart from listen to the albums. They'd stopped touring by then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tricky, the first band who I bought albums by was proberbly the Police (first two) but the first band who's album I could'nt stop playing was Made In Japan by Deep Purple. I was blown away by its sheer hurricane force playing and atmopshere, I did'nt know music could be so loud! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

My first album purchase was Use Your Illusion 1 by Guns N' Roses on tape in 1991. I don't think my brain could really comprehend the masterpiece I was about to unleash on myself and I often wonder what my taste would have become had I wandered down to the Rap or Pop section of the music shop. I knew very little about music at that stage and I only picked it up because I'd seen the band featured in a magazine article and I needed something to play in my nice shiny new red Walkman. The Walkman is long gone but I still have the original tape even if it was superseded by the purchase of the album on CD a few years later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My first album purchase was Crossroads - Bon Jovi.

I had a mate who always played living on prayer.. My god i loved that song!!

Don't listen to them much at all now, but i get phases when i go back to listening to them for a couple of days:) I was a pretty big fan in my early/mid teens it must be said. But my god their last couple of albums were dire!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Seventh son of a seventh son by iron maiden and Master of Puppets by Metallica.

The hair still raises on the back fo my neck when I hear something off of one of those albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Remember hearing ' she loves you ' by the Beatles on irish radio .I couldent have being more than 5 or 6 .The opening drum roll on that song and intro , i was hooked from then on in .I was lucky in that i was introduced to my older brothers and sisters musicasl tastes from a young age which all varied ie, deep purple , led zepp .sabbath ,doors ,cohen ,dylan joni ,mitchel so that was an education .

I also have a childhood memory of my mother singing along to nat king cole and the crooners .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My first album purchase was Crossroads - Bon Jovi.

I had a mate who always played living on prayer.. My god i loved that song!!

Don't listen to them much at all now, but i get phases when i go back to listening to them for a couple of days:) I was a pretty big fan in my early/mid teens it must be said. But my god their last couple of albums were dire!!

How did you know what I was going to write?! Word for word this is my first music love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

At 10 years of age, I saved my pocket money for about 3 weeks or something and bought my first album - Adam & the Ants: Kings of the wild frontier - and proceeded to play it over and over and over...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

A pedant writes...that was actually Freddie Mercury, solo, although it quite possibly made it onto the abortion that was 'Queens Greatest Hits 3'...(rumours that they'll release a Queens Greatest Hits 4 with just the staff from EMI singing the entire News of the World album are, as of yet, unfounded)

my own first love...Beatles. Got the Twenty Greatest hits on tape in 1982. I was 8. I still have the tape somewhere, but it's unplayable as it's practically transparent so much was it played...

I actually was a Queen fan as well, but too late to be able to do anything about it apart from listen to the albums. They'd stopped touring by then...

thanks for that correction.i cant believe i forgot that.and yes it did make it on to the roadkill album GH3.ugghhh i shudder just thinking of its crapness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

was into me hippity hop as a yoof then around 14/15 i remember hearing that bob dylan song hurricane and being blown away. still one of my fave songs...pistol shots ring out in the barroom night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh man, mine's kinda scarlet now; had always enjoyed music, but never really got into it with any sort of passion until i was about 12/13 and heard linkin park's 'crawlin' and 'in the end', and papa roach's 'between angels and insects', 'last resort' and 'broken home'.

went to see linkin park, and metallica were headlining, and got into a much broader assortment of genres from there, and had almost forgotten the passion that linkin park and papa roach instilled in me until i was at rock am ring last summer, where both bands happened to be playing, so i went in to watch, and got completely swept away when they played their old stuff, found myself right back to when i was a wee teen, and shocked myself by crying! :eek:

Advertisement