Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

File and Print Sharing Delay on Wireless Computers

• 01-01-2008 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I've been having this problem with my wireless setup for sometime now and can't seem to get to the bottom of it. I have 3 computers(1 desktop using ethernet and 2 notebooks using wireless g) connecting to a WRT54GX-V2 router. I've configured the desktop to share a large number of small files and folders that I need to pickup on the notebooks from time to time.

My problem is that it can take upwards of 20 minutes for the notebooks to see the fileserver and browse its folders from windows explorer. Windows claims the network is not accessable during this time and my workgroup will show as empty. Searching for computers often gives no results and even if it finds the fileserver it will generate the "network is not accessable" error. Also, if i map the network folders to drives and try use them before the computer shows in workgroup, I get network is not accessable and also little poppup bubbles on startup "some drives could not be reconnected". The connection on all computers is fine during this time, all can connect to the internet and ping each other. It's just file and print sharing that is giving me the trouble.

The delay is annoying at the best of times and infuriating if I'm in a hurry. From searching with google, I can see this is a common issue with wireless and large wired networks. If I connect the notebooks via ethernet the problem does not exist and they see shares almost instantly. However, this defeats the point of wireless connectivity and means i need to be in close proximity to the router.

So, can anyone offer some tips on improving the time it takes for this issue to resolve itself or even info on why this issue exists. All computers are running XPpro, Fileserver is XP64pro with simple filesharing disabled.

I'm guessing i may need to be more patient but would like a better solution :D

Cheers and happy new year.

Advertisement