Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1/1 New M50 Toll Rates

Options
  • 01-01-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

I can't believe they're putting up the toll rates. I know it's been coming for a while but how can they justify this?

Can they just put the rates up as they feel or have they to get permission from the government?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Ay Cee wrote: »
    I can't believe they're putting up the toll rates. I know it's been coming for a while but how can they justify this?

Can they just put the rates up as they feel or have they to get permission from the government?

They have full permission too and this was in the contract signed by the quality government we have. 41.6% of people still thought it was a good contract last June :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    41.6% of people still thought it was a good contract last June :D
    How democratic is that.. a minority picking a govt for the rest of us.

Anyway, presumeably all the other tolls this govt has give us are going up, ie M4, M1, Fermoy etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JHMEG wrote: »
    How democratic is that.. a minority picking a govt for the rest of us.

They got the highest amount of the vote. Whats the issue? should it have gone to the party with the least votes?

Stekelly wrote: »
    They got the highest amount of the vote. Whats the issue? should it have gone to the party with the least votes?
    Clearly the majority voted against them. That's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JHMEG wrote: »
    Clearly the majority voted against them. That's the problem.

By that logic the majority voted against all parties. Should we have no government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Time for a military coup. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Went thru the M4 toll today, paid the €2.60 and waited for the barrier to open. Then realised the toll was waiting for another 10 cent. That was the first I heard that the new toll was €2.70.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

They will be tolling the shannon tunnel and northern ring road when it opens in Limerick in 2010.. I heard it will cost 1.70 and will be tolled for 35 years.. (i may have heard these figures wrong).. Its infuriating as the jack lynch tunnel in cork isn't tolled so again Limerick people are getting the shaft from Fianna failure.

After 15 years of economic boom with billions of budget surplus each year the fianna failure government really have made an utter balls of everything they have planned or implemented.. The billions of euros that just evaporated in the wave after wave of incompetence should sicken every irish man and woman on the island!

PEOPLE, DO NOT VOTE FF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Don't suppose any sort of petition would make any difference, who am I kidding, of course it wouldn't.

We need to get a few French students over here, they know how to protest :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When is NTR due to cease toll collection on the M50 and hand it over to the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ay Cee wrote: »
    We need to get a few French students over here, they know how to protest :D

Or the French government and equivelant of NTR. Then every road would be tolled and we'd quickly forget about the M50 bridge.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    When is NTR due to cease toll collection on the M50 and hand it over to the state?

I assume when the road and junction upgrades are done. Removing the plaza would be pointless as is without the free flw junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I believe that was meant to be a few years ago, until some Fianna Fail idiot Minister thought it would be nice to let them keep it for another few years with higher rates.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

August 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Did I hear correctly that the M50 is gonna have no toll bridge in 2-3 years and instead every car that uses the M50 will be charged an electronic toll when they enter from the slip roads

so no free journeys anymore. eg 2euro for any distance

more madness

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

abakan wrote: »
    Did I hear correctly that the M50 is gonna have no toll bridge in 2-3 years and instead every car that uses the M50 will be charged an electronic toll when they enter from the slip roads

more madness

no - it will still only be the toll road that is tolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

ok but my point is, will all enteries to the M50 be charged electronic replacing the toll booth there is now

I hadn't heard that!

Tho it will be 3 euro (not 2) if you haven't pre-registered for the electronic tolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

3 euro if you haven't registered at all. 2.50 for those who have registered their details but haven't purchased an EasyPass. 2 euro for those who have, plus an administration charge every time you top up, which you can only do in particular amounts. The tolling itself will occur at some point just north of the current plaza, before the Blanchardstown exit, so in effect it'll occur in the same place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isn't NTR going to operate it on behalf of the government?
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Or the French government and equivelant of NTR. Then every road would be tolled and we'd quickly forget about the M50 bridge.
    The French have a great network. Loads of free motorways there is also a relatively half decent alternative. In my experience, the autoroute tolls weren't excessive for the journey travelled &/or time saved. The fact that people over there use their mirrors and don't overuse the overtaking lane was very helpful for when my car 'occasionally' exceeded the speed limit.
    abakan wrote: »

more madness
    That is a long term goal AFAIK but the current plan is to have barrier free tolling. There will AFAIK still be toll booths there for those who haven't pre paid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Breezer wrote: »
    3 euro if you haven't registered at all. 2.50 for those who have registered their details but haven't purchased an EasyPass. 2 euro for those who have, plus an administration charge every time you top up, which you can only do in particular amounts. The tolling itself will occur at some point just north of the current plaza, before the Blanchardstown exit, so in effect it'll occur in the same place.

Well seeing as the rates for parking in Dublin city centre are around
    the €3 per hour mark and it can take over an hour to travel the M50
    it seems to me that they are pricing the M50 for the car-park it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Your car reg will be scanned by overhead cameras. An invoice will then be sent to your registered address. You have 2 weeks to pay. You can pay at post offices etc. The charge keeps going up and up and up until you do pay it.

Advertisement