Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed on network choice!

• 01-01-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I've finally had it with 02 and need some advice on where to go (or if to change at all)

I have a lovely new shiny Nokia E65 that I just love. I make a few calls within Ireland and a few to the UK, with the occasional one to Australia. I make about 100 texts per month - to Europe, here and Aus. I have a text bundle so the local ones are already paid for. I also use data a little bit - maybe once every few days to check my email etc. I travel a few days a month, but within Europe.

Somehow with this minimal usage I'm spending 90 euro a month on prepay!

So, naturally I want a cheaper option. I called O2 and the guy there said "wow that's a lot" but couldn't really offer me anything else helpful. I'm already on the best roaming plan etc.

Which is why I'm turning to you guys for help.

O2 - apparently has some of the cheapest rates according to the callcosts website, but I'm not seeing them. Couldn't find any information about their data plans online but I believe it's around 40 a month. They have 24 hour customer service, *if* you can find the numbers for it.

Vodafone - my BF is on this, so the free V-V stuff is attractive, but their data plan is only 500Mb and I'm not sure that this will be enough, although it's only 10 euro. Have heard that they restrict the websites you can access.

Meteor - err, no thanks

Three - the skypephone thing looks good, but I'm not sure if I *need* the handset, would rather use my own, plus I hear that there is no skypeout which rather defeats the purpose. Their customer care guys didn't know about the handset question either. Aside from that, they have unlimited data for 20 a month, but I've heard rumours that it isn't unlimited and that you cannot use Fring or other such applications.

This is only looking at the prepay options - I guess I'd rather find a network I'm happy with before I sign up for a contract, but if you guys can recommend a good contract for me I'd look at it too.

So - what are your thoughts? Any insights that I have missed? Any experiences I should be aware of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Have you thought of moving to bill pay?

I'm currently thinking of switching to bill pay and the o2 active life or easy life plans sound better for you, depending on your call times etc.

But at least you'd have your calls included and your national texts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

kersti wrote: »
    I've finally had it with 02 and need some advice on where to go (or if to change at all)

I have a lovely new shiny Nokia E65 that I just love. I make a few calls within Ireland and a few to the UK, with the occasional one to Australia. I make about 100 texts per month - to Europe, here and Aus. I have a text bundle so the local ones are already paid for. I also use data a little bit - maybe once every few days to check my email etc. I travel a few days a month, but within Europe.

Somehow with this minimal usage I'm spending 90 euro a month on prepay!

So, naturally I want a cheaper option. I called O2 and the guy there said "wow that's a lot" but couldn't really offer me anything else helpful. I'm already on the best roaming plan etc.

Which is why I'm turning to you guys for help.

O2 - apparently has some of the cheapest rates according to the callcosts website, but I'm not seeing them. Couldn't find any information about their data plans online but I believe it's around 40 a month. They have 24 hour customer service, *if* you can find the numbers for it.

Vodafone - my BF is on this, so the free V-V stuff is attractive, but their data plan is only 500Mb and I'm not sure that this will be enough, although it's only 10 euro. Have heard that they restrict the websites you can access.

Meteor - err, no thanks

Three - the skypephone thing looks good, but I'm not sure if I *need* the handset, would rather use my own, plus I hear that there is no skypeout which rather defeats the purpose. Their customer care guys didn't know about the handset question either. Aside from that, they have unlimited data for 20 a month, but I've heard rumours that it isn't unlimited and that you cannot use Fring or other such applications.

This is only looking at the prepay options - I guess I'd rather find a network I'm happy with before I sign up for a contract, but if you guys can recommend a good contract for me I'd look at it too.

So - what are your thoughts? Any insights that I have missed? Any experiences I should be aware of?

Ok Initially I'm tempted to suggest an o2 contract with one of the active life plans. Anytime minutes to mobiles or landlines within the ROI. As of until yesterday they were doing 1000 extra minutes and texts (100 and 100 for 10 months) on top of your standard but I'll need to check to see if that promo has been extended to the new year. With your e65 I'd suggest that you use fring or iskoot software to make your international calls - the latter will allow you to make fairly cheap international calls to landlines via skype out. Add in the AFT software that you can find here on boards.ie and you can send your international texts for under a cent.

For €30 you get 10 gigs of data on o2. According to the rep i was talking to there are going to be revisions to the data charges but who knows when that'll happen. He's promised its on the way though.

Without getting more info thats the best i can suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

O2 on top of things as usual :rolleyes:
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/Pay+monthly/Special+offer/

God knows how long it took me to get to that page as their site is so bad again recently

Advertisement