Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Indicating...

Options
  • 01-01-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Test coming in a couple of weeks.
    Few questions on indicating procedure I'd like to clear up.

A) You're coming up to the left turn you wish to take, but there is another left turn very close to it (junction to an estate and entrance to a filling station, the left I'm taking)....at what point should you start indicating to make your intentions clearest? I mean do I wait until I've almost cleared the first junction before quickly flicking on my flasher, or do I indicate as I normally would for the earlier turn but just take the 2nd turn...and in that case how can I be assured that everyone around me knows what I intend to do?

B) There's obviously such a thing as indicating too late (it's what I'm afraid of with my first question) but can you be marked down, or is it considered bad practice to indicate too early? (For instance, does it look like you are just pulling in or something should you start flashing a good bit back from your turn?)

C) Around town, I need to overtake (well, give enough room for door openers and emerging pedestrians) a line of parked cars. This means crossing several types of roadmarkings depending on where it happens. These range from broken white lines, to unbroken and sometimes road islands/hatching.
    In which cases do I need to indicate? Is it only if I need to cross unbroken or hatching? (I know crossing hatching is a no-no but cars are parked/stationary) or does it depend on if you are crossing into the oncoming lane?
    In certain narrow streets I may need to use the oncoming lane or most of it (provided I have the clear right of way), should I indicate the whole way along until the road is clear again?
    I tend to just indicate for everything; is there such a thing as too much indicating? Again, is it a marks issue?

D) I'm parked/pulled-in, engine running, mirrors checked, about to manoveure out onto the road and get on my way. A line of traffic is approaching in either or both lanes I wish to enter/cross...should I be indicating for them even though I obviously have no intention of pulling off until the traffic has passed? Or should I wait until all relevant traffic has passed, then signal, check mirrors again and then move off? I'm of the opinion that flashing too early makes it look as if I'm about to dart into the traffic flow and may cause other drivers to slow or give me room needlessly. But it's something I see other non-learners doing so just wondered which is correct.

Similarly whilst on an M-way or dual c'way, should I only start indicating once all nearby traffic in the overtaking lane has passed, ie; right before I make my move or should I be flashing my intention to those passing cars even though I hvae no intention of moving out until the way is clear and safe?
    Again, I think it's the former, but I see so many doing the latter, I wondered who is right?
    (yes I know, no L drivers on M-ways, no part of test conducted on them; just curious)

E) Last one. Someone lets you out at a junction or whatever, the customary thing is a flick of the hazards...is this considered bad practice? I'd be unlikely to do it in a test but ti's something I do during normal roaduse. Could it send the wrong message?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wertz wrote:
    E) Last one. Someone lets you out at a junction or whatever, the customary thing is a flick of the hazards...is this considered bad practice? I'd be unlikely to do it in a test but ti's something I do during normal roaduse. Could it send the wrong message?

Don't do it in a test. As for "normal" driving, I think it's a bit stupid myself (I prefer a quick wave) but it seems common enough in normal driving that people are unlikely to get the wrong message.
    Wertz wrote:
    D) ...

Afaik, you wait until it's safe to move out. MSM: Mirror Signal Manoeuvre.

For A, I think if the turns are right next to each other, it's better to indicate early than flicking on the indicator at the last second.

C, I have no idea. I failed one test with a load of Grade 2s for it, but passed the subsequent test without a single mark even though I didn't think I was doing anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

A: Indicate in good time. Just bear in mind that traffic coming out of the estate might get the wrong idea and try to pull out in front of you.

B: Depends on the location and your speed. Indicate earlier if you need to slow down a lot. I'd also indicate earlier if there is traffic at the junction i'm taking (ie to indicate to them that they can join the road safely).

C: If you're passing a long line, just indicate when you're moving out.

D: You're right - only indicate when you actually intend to move out. Not at the last second ofc, but not while a line of traffic is whizzing past.

E: Don't do it during the test. The testers frown on any kind of signalling other than using the indicators. In general driving, by all means. It seems to be universally understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stark wrote: »
    I think it's a bit stupid myself (I prefer a quick wave) but it seems common enough in normal driving
    Flashing the hazard lights originated among truck drivers as it's pointless waving in a vehicle with no rear windows. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

It seems to be universally understood.

Interestingly, in a number of countries on the continent, its understood to mean "you're an ***hole who shouldn't be driving".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Aye but sure those eejits all drive on the wrong side of the road anyhow....what would they know?

On topic; would anyone like to answer some of my questions now? Still some things I haven't had cleared up, specifically, when to indicate when passing parked vehicles beside various road markings. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    C) Around town, I need to overtake (well, give enough room for door openers and emerging pedestrians) a line of parked cars. This means crossing several types of roadmarkings depending on where it happens. These range from broken white lines, to unbroken and sometimes road islands/hatching.
    In which cases do I need to indicate? Is it only if I need to cross unbroken or hatching? (I know crossing hatching is a no-no but cars are parked/stationary) or does it depend on if you are crossing into the oncoming lane?
    In certain narrow streets I may need to use the oncoming lane or most of it (provided I have the clear right of way), should I indicate the whole way along until the road is clear again?
    I tend to just indicate for everything; is there such a thing as too much indicating? Again, is it a marks issue?
    You need to remember that the tester won't be trying to trick you. Everything in the test is 'reasonable' and the candidate is given the benefit of any doubt.

In heavily congested narrow streets/roads you will not be faulted for not allowing space for opening doors provided you exercise reasonable caution.

In the overtaking situation you describe, I would indicate initially and take up my position on the road. i would then cancel the indicator to avoid confusion to following motorists as they may presume that I wish to make a right turn.

If you have no option but to cross white lines or hatched areas, you won't be penalised provided you exercise caution. If you find yourself in a very awkward situation, the tester may give advise.

Thanks for that Wishbone_Ash, one of my main concerns on indicating answered.

One last one: if I'm approaching a T-junction exiting onto a one way street, do I need to indicate since there is only one way I can legally turn? I know it can't hurt to indicate anyway, but s it a legal requirement or a marks issue?
    Simiarlry, if the T-junction had two lanes, exiting into a one-way with two lanes (one for a subsequent right turn 100 yds furher up), should I be indicating that it's my intention to enter the lefthand flow of traffic from the lefthand lane (obviosuly I signal to enter that lane on appraoch)...if so how do I go about it?

Wertz wrote: »
    One last one: if I'm approaching a T-junction exiting onto a one way street, do I need to indicate since there is only one way I can legally turn? I know it can't hurt to indicate anyway, but s it a legal requirement or a marks issue?
    No ,you won't be penalised for not indicating going onto a one-way but I'd be inclined to indicate anyway.

Wertz wrote:
    Simiarlry, if the T-junction had two lanes, exiting into a one-way with two lanes (one for a subsequent right turn 100 yds furher up), should I be indicating that it's my intention to enter the lefthand flow of traffic from the lefthand lane (obviosuly I signal to enter that lane on appraoch)...if so how do I go about it?
    In the above scenario, the tester should inform you in advance that he wishes you to turn left and very soon after make a right turn giving you the opportunity to enter that street in the right lane.

Remember, they are not out there to trick you. If there is any discrepency they will always explain well in advance.

Good stuff, thanks for all the help.

Advertisement