Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i go about Cancelling BT BB + Talk

Options
  • 01-01-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

At the minute i have BB and Talk 1mb from BT.

I'm considering changing to Digiweb Metro's 3mb or 5mb package or maybe upgrade BT to 3mb and avoid hasle.

How do i go about cancelling my BT, is it just a phone call? Does it take long?

What happens if i receive Metro before my BT has been terminated? Will Digiweb sort it for me if i want my number ported over?

Jozi

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you cancel then cancel a month and a day before your billing period ends, see your online bill . Then you have given a full 30 days notice

OTOH if you upgrade do so on the first day of the new billing period, give 30 days notice of your intent

if you make a lot of UK calls you should probably stay put on BT , if you make feck all calls you are better off with Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I get billed a week from now, so i'd have to wait approx 5 weeks then?

I make no calls at all to the uk, make the odd national or local call and thats about it. GF uses them local no's to call home.

I don't really need the phone at all, such a waste paying for a land line really which is my reason for considering Metro (NTL aren't in phibsboro, soon they say :rolleyes:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You have to give cancellation notice in writing. An email to customer.care@btireland.ie should do it, though a registered letter in the post is a better way. I just did both so they can't say I didn't put it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Hi,

Sorry for jumping onto your thread but no point creating multiple threads on the same topic. I am about to move house, my new apartment doesn't have a phoneline so I have to cancel all my BT services.

1) Do I have to give 30 days notice in writing or is 14 days ok?

2) Can I keep the Wireless Router or do I send that back to BT?
    Spotted this in the Terms and Conditions - "Wireless modems purchased by the Customer become the property of the Customer upon payment in full for the wireless modem."

3) Do I need to get the line disconnected or once I cancel my BT Services thats it?

Regards.

1) Do I have to give 30 days notice in writing or is 14 days ok?
    30 days required.
    2) Can I keep the Wireless Router or do I send that back to BT?
    Spotted this in the Terms and Conditions - "Wireless modems purchased by the Customer become the property of the Customer upon payment in full for the wireless modem."]
    That's yours then I take it.
    3) Do I need to get the line disconnected or once I cancel my BT Services thats it?

You're not an eircom customer if you pay your line rental to BT, so once you cancel BT that should be it. If eircom take the line back then they can't really charge you anything as you never signed anything up with them. I'm assuming the line just goes dead unless you contact eircom to start services on it again.

This is just the start of your problems though. BT are so inept that they'll ignore all cancellation notices. They're continuing to bill me on my old account, they're denying receiving the cancellation letter. I've got the copy of the signature from An Post though as delivery proof so BT can go swivel. I've paid them for the 30 days notice and for all calls on the last bill and that's all they're getting.

Make sure to cancel your direct debit too. Write a letter to the bank about that first off.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info....these BB companies don't half try to confuse you while providing a piss poor BB service.

Nice tip on the Direct Debit, I hadn't even thought of that....fingers crossed I'm not back complaining about this in a months time. See you all in a months time then...:D

Well surprise, surprise BT have managed to ignore the Cessation of Line Request form I sent them. I asked them to cancel my phoneline and all BT Services on that line....couldn't have been clearer..CANCEL EVERYTHING!!!!

Received a bill today for the next two months even though I sent the Cessation of Line Request Form in January. This form states that they only require 10 days notice to cancel the phoneline and 14 days notice to cancel broadband, etc. I'm guessing these are cancelled electronically so it takes an extra 4 days for a techie to find the button for cancelling my broadband....no doubt its all the way to the right of the cancel phoneline button:)

Too tired from work and want to relax and watch the footie tonight so I'll call them tomorrow and I'll post whatever amazing story they give me....will probably have dragons and everything in it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Something like this happened to me a year or so ago when I tried to cancel with them. Despite phonecalls, letters and emails, they still kept billing me. To top it all off, even though I had an email from customer care confirming that my account was cancelled, I still got a letter threatening to set a debt collection agency on me. When I rang up BT, the girl said I was OK and that my account was cancelled and that I was in the clear.

The one piece of advice I'd give anyone who tries to cancel with these clowns is to keep records of emails, letters, phonecalls (get a name). You can never assume that they'll manage something as simple as to cancel your account.

I'm having the exact same fun with BT right now too. They claim they never received my cancellation request, and have billed me for the next two months. Thankfully I canceled the direct debit already. As soon as the due date on the bill came, they were ringing me 10 times a day till they finally got me last week, asking if I would like to make a payment on my bill. I told them, nice and calmly, that I would not like to make a payment on my bill. They're now "looking into it".

Don't waste your money or time contacting them. Once the direct debit fails, they'll contact you quick enough.

Well I spoke to a nice polite lady at BT who said my phoneline has been cancelled and that my broadband should be cancelled in the next day or two. Surely they can't be separate, if my phoneline has been disconnected then by default my broadband is also gone. Well thats in the real world.... in Telecommunications-Land you can be charged for those extra few days even though you have no way of actually using your broadband for those few extra days.

The two months in advance they just billed me for will be credited back to me but I will be charged the early cancellation fee (fair enough...part of the contract) and those extra few days broadband charge.

Hopefully thats it.....and I can concentrate on getting broadband in my new place. I'll post again if anything happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement