Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horses

Options
  • 01-01-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭

"Place Only 3 Places" - what exactly does this mean - if i back the favourite - and he wins, come second or third - i win? or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

You win if the horse comes 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.. its a singles bet, instead of betting each way which is effectively 2 bets (win and place).. however the odds will be alot smaller. Hope that helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Kinda32 wrote: »
    however the odds will be alot smaller. Hope that helps..

Normally 1/4 of odd's.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Leave those nags alone Donal, don't get into it. Also, in future, even though this wasn't strictly horse racing related, there is a horse racing forum if you have more questions like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ace2007 wrote: »
    "Place Only 3 Places" - what exactly does this mean - if i back the favourite - and he wins, come second or third - i win? or what?

The places are 1-2-3.

If you've backed a horse each way and he places 2nd or 3rd you will get the place value of your stake at a certain fracton of the odds. Lets say you had €10 each way on a 4/1 shot and it places 3rd at 1/4 odds; You get €10 place money at 1/4 of 4/1 which is 1/1 (evens) therefore you return €20 (10 at evens plus your 10 stake back). Obviously enough you don't get your win stake back.

General rule is that the fraction depends on the number of runners, < 7 its nearly always 1/4 first 2 places. Its generally a 1/5 in England for most races. Backing each-way, I wouldn't do it if the horse has odds below the fraction, i.e. For a race with 1/4 I would only back e/w down to 4/1 max. Anything below that is not worth it.

Oh and if you back a double or a treble each way and 2 win and 1 places out of it, you won't get as much as you think you should. Your win stake loses. I've had to explain that to customers 4 times this week.

Also, dependent on the race (i.e. Number of runners) the number of places paid out varies.

Generally; (Number of runners in bold)

< 4 - Winner Only

< 7 - 1st-2nd

8-15 - 1st-2nd-3rd

16+ - 1st-2nd-3rd-4th

Check out Paddy Power and Boylesports as well, on the big races (Grand National for example) they usually pay out 5 places. I've seen it sometimes for big-ish handicap races on Saturdays too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jameshayes wrote: »
    Normally 1/4 of odd's.
    cson wrote: »
    Its generally a 1/5 in England for most races.

Let's clear this up, the place odds are determined by the number in the race and the type of race. The same applies to all UK and Irish races, no distinction.

Type of race being a handicap or non handicap.

Details attached.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rather than start a new thread just post here and steal someones thread ;)

yesterday in my local bookmakers I did a reverse forecast and the race finsihed a dead heat between the 2 horses in my bet!

Now my question do dead heat affect forecast calculation? Both horses were 5/2

Its was only a €5 rf and I got back over 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

A reverse forecast is simply two straight forecasts bets (i.e. two €5 bets if bet total was €10) grouped as one bet. For a dead-heat, separate straight forecasts are calculated for each i.e. A 'beat' B, and also B 'beat' A.

Therefore both bets in your reverse forecast were winners and you received a double payoff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cheers Robin! Why did I not put more on it! It was always going to be a 2 horse race!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

yesterday in my local bookmakers I did a reverse forecast and the race finsihed a dead heat between the 2 horses in my bet!

Now my question do dead heat affect forecast calculation? Both horses were 5/2

Its was only a €5 rf and I got back over 40

Did the dead heat affect your payout. Sort of.
    Basically it works on a tote pool system. X amount is put into the pool and the Tote take their commission. They cannot pay out more than is in this payout pool so they divide the payout.

If Kindlelight Blue had won, beating Mutamaasek. You would likely have received €43.2 back and if it was the other way round €37.5. As you had both results it effectively halved your payout on both.

I'm guessing you think you got paid on the double but only effectively at half stakes.

• Advertisement

Had to deal with this yesterday as well. Two different forecasts (4.32 and 3.75 iirc) and the fact that the forecast is a fixed dividend takes a lot of explaining to some punters. I actually thought that Kimberlight King had got up in that race, dunno how they called it a dead heat on first look.

badbrian wrote: »
    Did the dead heat affect your payout. Sort of.
    Basically it works on a tote pool system. X amount is put into the pool and the Tote take their commission. They cannot pay out more than is in this payout pool so they divide the payout.

If Kindlelight Blue had won, beating Mutamaasek. You would likely have received €43.2 back and if it was the other way round €37.5. As you had both results it effectively halved your payout on both.

I'm guessing you think you got paid on the double but only effectively at half stakes.

You obviously seen the race or checked to see the result to know the horses invloved! I was going to back Mustamaasek but decided the f/c was the bet for me!

Advertisement