Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving

• 01-01-2008 4:24pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems the problem of drink driving is still as strong as ever, at least in Waterford. If I recall, it was said in the Waterford News & Star that its increasing and not going down in numbers. Why? Why do people decide to take the risk and drive home when they have a few drinks in them? Its well known drink driving is the cause of a lot of accidents on our road - yet people still do it, and don't seem to care the risk they are putting themselves and others at?

When I was heading home last night after all the pubs/clubs had closed up, the taxi drive was telling me that there has been a large number of people arrested for drink driving last night in the Waterford area. They had a number of undercover cars (including a Golf!) watching people leave the clubs/pubs and getting into there cars so they had them soon pulled over - and it seems most were over the limit!

I just cant get my head around what makes people do it? The mind boggles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

me and lee were drivin back from the city last night and saw a good few suspect drink drivers....

i dont get it either...... its not an awful big job to get a lift to the pub and leave the car at home or leave the car at the pub and collect the next day.....

i think the cops are still to light about ppl they catch..... why dont drink driver loose their licences..... i think they should cause by doin it they obv dont care about their own lives or anyone elses for that matter! theyre the kind of ppl that we dont need on the roads!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

aye its disgraceful - theres an endless list of reasons not to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Some people use the excuse the drinking causes them to drive more carefully. Which is obviously BS. Some think the fact that they've not had an accident yet means they won't have one. Again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

ye the cops have that golf a while they have a 07 bmw 3 series unmarked in enniscorthy could,nt believe it when i saw it after pulling someone over! as for drink driving a lot of the culprits are being caught the next day as they think there ok to drive when in fact there still over the limit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭manTime

miss enzo wrote: »
    i think the cops are still to light about ppl they catch..... why dont drink driver loose their licences..... i think they should cause by doin it they obv dont care about their own lives or anyone elses for that matter! theyre the kind of ppl that we dont need on the roads!

If your convicted of drink driving you do loose your license, min now is 2 years spa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

manTime wrote: »
    If your convicted of drink driving you do loose your license, min now is 2 years spa

My impression of miss enzo from her posts on Motors is that she has a different view of driving then most other people! ;) (Just kidding with ya enzo!)

Welcome to the forum enzo, don't think iv seen you post here at all since joining Boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

But you can get it back after 12 months. It's ridiculous. 5 year mandatory ban should be the minimum. The authorities in this country are not serious about drink driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

And "but I need a car for my job" should not lead to leniency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Kahless wrote: »
    And "but I need a car for my job" should not lead to leniency.

No it should lead to a taxi!icon10.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Travelling from Ferrybank to Ardkeen last night around 1 (with a designated driver, I hasten to add) and it was amazing the number of people driving slowly along the F-bank dualler and the Quay "so as not to stand out". You could see they had a skinful.

From what Sully said, a lot were arrested, and that doesn't surprise me. It would have been like shooting fish in a barrel. There seemed to be more drunk drivers than sober drivers on the road last night. Just a pity that the Gardaí didn't absolutely flood the place with checkpoints... I suppose they've only so much in terms of resources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

10 year ban compulsory imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

fricatus wrote: »
    Travelling from Ferrybank to Ardkeen last night around 1 (with a designated driver, I hasten to add) and it was amazing the number of people driving slowly along the F-bank dualler and the Quay "so as not to stand out". You could see they had a skinful.

How in your good and great judgement could you tell from someone driving slow, that they had a skinful ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Junior wrote: »
    How in your good and great judgement could you tell from someone driving slow, that they had a skinful ?

Generally speaking with anyone driving slow and being overly cautious there's a high chance they may have had something to drink, might have been only one but their still watching the road alot etc :)

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    10 year ban compulsory imo.

Ditto.

I happened to be in Court one day and a number of licences were restored before the ban expired. All that was needed was a letter from your insurer. They didn't even get a bollicking for it. Weird really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Junior wrote: »

Less of the sarcasm please... there were 5 of us in the car and we could all pick out the obvious ones. It wasn't just that they were driving slowly - people drive slowly all the time. You can generally spot a drunk driver because there's this excess of caution in how they drive... braking wayyyy too early for a junction, coming to a complete stop at a roundabout where there's a good line of sight and no traffic (where ordinarily you'd take it in second or even third), slow to move off from the lights, the odd unexplained steering "wobble", that kind of thing.

I drive 70 miles a day, so trust me, you develop an intuition for this kind of thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus wrote: »
    Less of the sarcasm please... there were 5 of us in the car and we could all pick out the obvious ones. It wasn't just that they were driving slowly - people drive slowly all the time. You can generally spot a drunk driver because there's this excess of caution in how they drive... braking wayyyy too early for a junction, coming to a complete stop at a roundabout where there's a good line of sight and no traffic (where ordinarily you'd take it in second or even third), slow to move off from the lights, the odd unexplained steering "wobble", that kind of thing.

I drive 70 miles a day, so trust me, you develop an intuition for this kind of thing.

My father was in the guards, and he used to always tell me how its easy to spot those who have been drinking and driving.

They drive really slow and cautious, thinking they have better control and reaction time if there keeping there eyes pealed and drive slow.

They stand out of the crowd to your general cautious drivers, and there on the road when its rare to see a car (early hours of the morning). So, the guards watch for this type of driving and monitor them for a while seeing how there driving, before pulling them in for a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I thought there was three different levels regarding the minumum ban.

OFFENCE per 100ml - Minimum Period - 1st Offence - 2nd Offence
    Exceeding 80 mg but not exceeding 100 mg - 1 Year - 2 Years
    Exceeding 100 mg but not exceeding 150 mg - 2 Years - 4 Years
    Exceeding 150 mg - 3 Years - 6 Year

Sorry I just noticed if you are convicted of "Drunk Driving" meaning, Where a person is convicted of the offence of being under the influence to such an extent as to "be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle". Its two years on a 1st offence and four years on a 2nd offence.

Whatever about banning people for a first offence I think the sentences are strict enough, but if you get caught twice you really should be banned for life.

Info Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Freddie59 wrote: »
    But you can get it back after 12 months. It's ridiculous. 5 year mandatory ban should be the minimum. The authorities in this country are not serious about drink driving.

not any more they got rid of that about 6 months ago. you have to do the full 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Friend had an accident on Christmas Eve - artic hit the back of her car and sent it careering across the road - lucky to be alive. Gardai arrived and didn't even breathalise anyone involved, I thought that was to be standard at all accidents now?????????

i mean for life.... spa!:rolleyes:

i think everyone knows there is a ban... a ban isnt LOSING summit its more like bein revoked for a period of time. i mean lose as in never to get it again.....

p.s Hey sully! :D

• Advertisement

south wrote: »
    not any more they got rid of that about 6 months ago. you have to do the full 2 years

Good news. I saw this about 16 months ago.

miss enzo wrote: »
    i mean for life.... spa!:rolleyes:

manTime claims he didnt mean "spa" in the offensive term btw. ;)

hmm ive only ever heard it as an insult. ah well im leavin my post as it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Think alot more drink driving goes on in the country than the town.In laws from across the bridge and even though they dont say it, I know they do it the whole time.
    Think the majority of em are too cheap to pay for a taxi.
    Whole thing makes me sick, easy to have one person stay off the drink for the night.I take turns with the wife when ever we go out.
    Worse thing about it is thatusually when there's a crash its always the por ****er thatwasn't drinking that gets killed or hurt.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Think alot more drink driving goes on in the country than the town.In laws from across the bridge and even though they dont say it, I know they do it the whole time.
    Think the majority of em are too cheap to pay for a taxi.
    Whole thing makes me sick, easy to have one person stay off the drink for the night.I take turns with the wife when ever we go out.
    Worse thing about it is thatusually when there's a crash its always the por ****er thatwasn't drinking that gets killed or hurt.

Well, this kinda comment often gets slammed:-

Report them. Who cares if they get banned from driving? At least this way they are not putting other lives at risk.

Sully wrote: »
    Report them. Who cares if they get banned from driving? At least this way they are not putting other lives at risk.

Exactly. Everyone needs to do it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Exactly. Everyone needs to do it.

Have to agree completely, its all fine and well saying there doing something wrong and they could get people killed but if your not going to do anything about it then you might as well shut up and stop talking about it because your not doing anyone any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Can all of you honestly say that you've reported every single person you knew was drink driving? Or for that matter ever done it yourselves?

Flapping gums about reporting members of your (extended) family is all well and good here, but doing it is a different thing entirely.

I have called the cops on someone before.

• Advertisement

Roen wrote: »
    Can all of you honestly say that you've reported every single person you knew was drink driving? Or for that matter ever done it yourselves?

Flapping gums about reporting members of your (extended) family is all well and good here, but doing it is a different thing entirely.

All of my family do not drink and drive. There very careful and leave the car behind. I don't drink so ill often drive them about if im around, else they will walk or get a taxi. If that fails, there will be a designated driver to accommodate those drinking.

Iv never really came across anybody drink driving before. I know people living near me who used to do it, but iv seen them walk now. Habits changing, but not as fast as it should.

Advertisement