Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I have called the cops on someone before.

As have I, but on your own family as is being espoused above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

Roen wrote: »
    Can all of you honestly say that you've reported every single person you knew was drink driving? Or for that matter ever done it yourselves?

Flapping gums about reporting members of your (extended) family is all well and good here, but doing it is a different thing entirely.

ive called the cops on ppl (had to call once after this woman drove thru a fence in my old estate, wrote off her car and nearl wrote herself off 2.... had to have her ear sewn back to the head, and have 20 summit more stiches too) and ive followed a fella in town, saw him drive and pull into a car park so i went up tapped the window and told him to give me his keys that id drop them to the station and say i found them.... his mates came over then and said they wudnt let him drive... i said grand and drove down to a nearby parked guard car and told them what happened...... prob not my best move confronting someone while they are hammered ( and a total stranger!) but when i drove by later the car was still there so mission accomplished!! :D

i have only ever driven with a bit of drink once..... half a wkd and it was 4 hrs later b4 i drove..... since then havent taken a sip of alcohol b4 sittin behind the wheel.... whats the point my licence is too important to me to risk it over drink drivin....

harsh as it may be id report a family member no hassle either....... why shud ur family get special treatment.... if they kill someone could u live with knowin u might have bn able to prevent it???? i couldnt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Its a different thing when its family.Dont see how reporting them would cheer the wife up too much.Agree totally what your all saying though, but sometimes the cops do **** all.Especially when they know the people in a small community and thats half the problem with drink driving in rural ireland.The cops don't want to bring aload of **** on themselves by nicking a neighbour.
    Not saying its right but it goes on alot more than you think.
    A few years ago one of mates and another one decided to head off, we found out the next day that they drove home to tramore.The driver couldn't even stand when we left him and we found out they were stopped at a check point but he knew the guard and was told to get home.No charges at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Meatwad wrote: »
    they were stopped at a check point but he knew the guard and was told to get home.No charges at all.

A drunk driver crashed into my aunt and her kids, writing off her car, and totally got off. The Gardai knew he was drinking as they had been talking to him earlier when he was drinking with the winos in Carrick. Empty cans and bottles literally fell out of the car. He could barely stand. But they didn't so much as do a breathalyser test. He was a friend of one of the top cops in the area:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    A drunk driver crashed into my aunt and her kids, writing off her car, and totally got off. The Gardai knew he was drinking as they had been talking to him earlier when he was drinking with the winos in Carrick. Empty cans and bottles literally fell out of the car. He could barely stand. But they didn't so much as do a breathalyser test. He was a friend of one of the top cops in the area:rolleyes:

Why didnt you follow the matter up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i was arrested for "drink driving" last year.

I was out in Dublin but decided i had enough and returned to my van to sleep it off until my mate came back from the club.

I was asleep in the car, out like a light, and with never aany intention to drive when the cops banged on the window. They arrested me and brought me to the station.

I passed the breath test in the station.. i got a .028 limit being .030.. its some kind of miricle, considering i was loaded, but i was really annoyed and upset about the thought of loosing my licence. I was released, but i didnt take the chance.. and slept in the back of the van until 9am

Ppl that drink drive simply do it because they get brave with a few pints on them. Best thing to do, as i do.. leave the car at home.

I feel the pene;ty is not severe enough, tou can get your licence back after 6 MONTHS when on appeal to a judge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Unless your keys are in the ignition, you cant be charged with attempting to drive while drink IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sully wrote: »
    Unless your keys are in the ignition, you cant be charged with attempting to drive while drink IIRC.

they were.

It gets worse.. i d the engine on to heat up the car...

Stupid... i know.. but i learned my lesson.

Again, i reiterate, i had no intention of driving, nor did i ever.

However as far as i know, if you are in the car with keys in posession, you can get nicked.

Ah okay. Fair enough so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

snyper wrote: »
    they were.

It gets worse.. i d the engine on to heat up the car...

Stupid... i know.. but i learned my lesson.

Again, i reiterate, i had no intention of driving, nor did i ever.

However as far as i know, if you are in the car with keys in posession, you can get nicked.
    I think you are right - once they are in your possession you can be done for drink driving. Even if you are seen walking to the car with the keys in your hand I think you can be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

agreed if u have the keys its considered "attempted" drink drivin or "intention" of drink driving but u can see why i mean if ur alseep in ur car u wake up a few hrs later and think ur grand and drive home.......

i agree with the rural ireland thing.... im from Mayo and the amount ive seen up there is crazy! (altho its not much better here!) never mind the cops lettin ppl they know off what about the cops doin it themselves..... i know of 2 cops that used do it regularly.... but u cant do nethin u make a complaint and it "gets lost" somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ye the cops have that golf a while they have a 07 bmw 3 series unmarked in enniscorthy could,nt believe it when i saw it after pulling someone over! as for drink driving a lot of the culprits are being caught the next day as they think there ok to drive when in fact there still over the limit!!
    yeah that beemer pulled me over on the way back from a match for going the wrong way down a one way street, nice car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

That is all very well nad good but simple mouthwash can put you 17 times over the legal limit!!!!

If a person gets pulled for drink driving this must be taken into account

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jrad wrote: »
    That is all very well nad good but simple mouthwash can put you 17 times over the legal limit!!!!

If a person gets pulled for drink driving this must be taken into account

what that they've drank a load of mouthwash? :rolleyes:
    The 17 times over the limit sounds very very suspect and I'd go as far as to say its complete bollox, I know mythbusters tried it and it increased the limit a very small bit but no where near what your suggesting.

Certainly if you used mouthwash alone it won't put you over the limit..infact no where near, however if your one of those fools who drinks and tries to use mouthwash to cover it up it'll actually make things ever so slightly worse :)

Advertisement