Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GF wrecks my head when drunk

Options
  • 01-01-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Me and my GF are constantly fighting when drunk, but when sober we get on brilliant and never fight.

She just wrecks my head when shes drunk with her pettiness and she thinks I act like an arsehole, even though i frimly beleive i dont. But when we're sober we would never fight with each other, like im with my gf 3 years and cant remember the last time we had a fight when sober.

Whats i all about? Im sick of it tbh and I know you'll suggest we just dont drink, we probably only drink 1/2 a month but just last night was the worst and thats why im bringing it up/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i tend to get a bit tetchy with my poor BF when i've had a few. We usually agree to put a row on hold until morning,by which time it seems ridiculous.From experience once you kiss and make up(literally) it's really easy to forget what you were even rowing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Have you discussed this issue when sober?

Tbh, I don't really see why the problem should persist when you've already found the solution:
    Hynethi1 wrote:
    just dont drink

It's hardly the greatest of sacrifices, is it?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is she only like this when she's had a skinful or is it after one or two drinks? If it's the former, then have one or two then stop and move to soft drinks. If it's the latter then unfortunately it's either stop drinking or put up with the fights.

I'm a pretty bad drunk myself and myself and BF always had fights when I was pissed, so I just stopped drinking. Honestly, I have to say I enjoy nights just as much, if not more now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

get ur kicks from other drugs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Tyrant^: any more off topic posting like that and you are banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Went out with a girl like that - I actually gave up drink at the time so I'd be better able to deal with her. In the end we broke up because of that reason (I couldnt deal with it when I was out supposedly having a good time!) and a few others.

Have a word with her - if she doesnt heed it then ditch her. She obviously has some underlying issues which only come out with a bit of drink taken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

OP. I have the exact same prob and was only gonna put up a post to indicate this.

My gf gets jealous when seeing me out if im talking to other people, dancing with others or basically "ignoring her". Generally if were out, she'l run off in the club and expect me to run after her. Naturally, i dont, and just stay with my other mates drinking beers and chatting. She would then accuse me of running off on her.

Anyways, in summary, the alco is the problem. I know thats a boring fact (nothing bores me more than someone with a drinking problem btw) but one that you, I and countless others on these boards must either put up with or get her to cease the alcohol intake. Perhaps an ultimatum to her? I dont know - suits some people, not others. Depends on whether your the talkative half of the couple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

it's the gf's issue.

The problem is the solution involves you sacrificing something you maybe really enjoy.

So you have to compensate for her weakness - is it fair?
    Probably not, but that's life.

Some partners don't swim because their SO has no arms and they don't want them to be jealous. Some people regard that as noble.

Not me though. I say let her deal with her problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

chump wrote: »
    it's the gf's issue.

The problem is the solution involves you sacrificing something you maybe really enjoy.

So you have to compensate for her weakness - is it fair?
    Probably not, but that's life.

Bear in mind that we're only hearing one side of the story here so it's probably a little biased in favour of the OP. Given that they fight with each other when drunk it could very well be a mutual problem - it's pretty hard to fight with someone who refuses to fight with you so the blame probably doesn't lie completely with the OP's girlfriend.
    The OP doesn't believe he acts like an arsehole when drunk, his girlfriend does. Likewise, his girlfriend may not believe herself to be acting pettily when drunk as the OP claims she is. It's difficult to judge your own behaviour without bias even when sober, much more so when under the influence of mood-altering substances. Personally I reckon the quickest and least painful solution is to cut out the booze.
    chump wrote: »
    Some partners don't swim because their SO has no arms and they don't want them to be jealous. Some people regard that as noble.

lmao, honestly. Even if this wasn't the silliest thing I've ever heard, not having arms isn't comparable to not being prevent yourself from fighting with your SO when drunk. One is a permanent physical disability, the other is a temporary (in this case, at least) alteration in behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Agree with Jack B. Badd, OP could be the problem when drunk for all we know.

OP, remember that alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes some people speak their mind. They may say things when drunk that is often at the back of their mind when sober but that they would never dream of bringing up. In other words, maybe one or both of you normally tiptoes around the other and avoids confrontation when sober, but when alcohol has been imbibed you forget to do that and let it all out. Are you sure your relationship is really all cosy and plain-sailing when sober? No hidden resentments?? You really need to have a frank discussion about this (when sober :D) and both of you give up drink or at least cut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Erm... Right... Try remember what she's been griping about and bring it up again the next day. If she keeps kicking off over nothing then... Bye bye

Advertisement