Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about repeats...

Options
  • 01-01-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey,

Anybody familar with the procedure if a student fails (with a NG) a module that had no final written end of semester exam? i.e It was like continous assessment, submission of essays throughout the weeks. Can you repeat it?
    I have emailed my lecturers and the student academic admin staff but they're still on hols til jan 4th.

Eek.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Hmmm afaik it depends on the lecturer to be honest with regard to the form of re-assessment but you are entitled to a repeat. Many lecturers set the repeats at 100 per cent written exam and disregard any previous coursework, but if the coursework is 100 per cent then clearly coursework is a central part of the course so perhaps the lecturer will include something of it in the reassessment. Is is a practical subject or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Hmmm afaik it depends on the lecturer to be honest with regard to the form of re-assessment but you are entitled to a repeat.

I'm not entirely sure about this (but it probably varies by department) I did 2 modules during my time in Computer Systems that had no final exam and were non repeatable i.e. if you failed them you had to go back and do the module again on a link in basis I think or else repeat the semester...so there was no opportunity to do a repeat exam.

OP I'd say your best bet is to wait until you get an answer from the lecturer to be certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LiveThroughThis

To bluedolphin,
    The module was Language Technology, 1hr lecture and 2hr computer lab a week. I had two project based essays worth 40% each, then another smaller one at 20%. I wouldn't have considered it a practically subject though.
    Through entirely my own damn fault, I didn't hand in the work, in time or at all.
    I do really hope that they could possibly arrange something like a 100% repeat final exam for me.
    At the back of mind, I'm still half hoping that they might even accept the assigments now (considering in the grade my lateness of course) if I was to submitt them before grading results. But that's probably me acting in denial in la la land.

To rmacm,
    I'm "supposed" to be going on my co-op to Germany this month, but that's another story altogether. So doing what you mentioned, repeating the module in a link in basis, not sure if that would be suitable.
    Having to repeat the semester just for one module at 3 hours a week, is the worst possibly thing I'm dreading at the moment.

Thanks for all the 2cents guys.
    I really am just counting the days until the staff get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Yeah, you really need to speak to those involved in the module. The University is opening again tomorrow, so it might be worthwhile even trying to ring your lecturer and see what the story is with your situation. You can get extension numbers from the UL phone directory.

Best of luck. :)

Advertisement