Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant FCR 3 2008 - Could you have a look at this for me?

Options
  • 01-01-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi lads & girls,

Could you have a look at this bike spec for me?

GIANT FCR 3 2008

m6598_fcr3.jpg

I'm looking at doing a few long distance challenges (e.g. Ring of Kerry) this year and I'm after a good hybrid for less than €500.

This seems to be the one that has been recommended to me most. Before I buy it I figured I'd run it by the experts here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

its a decent spec bike for the cash, are you just using it for these runs, or will it be used more??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I have the 07 FCR 3.

It's a really great bike. Light, fast, comfortable*.

The only upgrades I done after getting it was the saddle. The giant saddle which comes with it is really uncomfortable. I got me one of THESE.
    I also got armaldo puncture resistant tyres fitted when I ordered it, works out cheaper to get the tyres with the bike rathar than buy them seperate.

Here she is in all her glory

I use it mainly for commuting but I have done a few 100k + spins on it and with the right saddle and cycling shorts it's no problem. I'll probably get a decent set of pedals for it this year but the set on it do me fine atm. I took the straps off so they're just plain strapless pedals atm. If you want to get the most out of it you will probably want to get some cleats and shoes.

Allow yourself a few quid to get a saddle bag, some lights, spare tube, cycle computer and some tyre levers. I usually just carry a few allen keys and a screwdriver in the bag too. I'll be using this bike again all this year and wont be upgrading anytime soon unless some twat in an suv kills the bike on me.
    Remember though it is a road bike and it wont take any bad surfaces or go off road but if you stick to the roads and enjoy long spins then this is the bike for you.

I highly recommend the bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A lot of people, me included, prefer drop handle bars due to the greater variety of hand positions available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I'll be doing a good bit of spinning around on it and I'd like to use it going to and from work.

Can I buy wider tyres for it? I'd like to be able to go on trails if I came across any!

Trotter wrote: »

I'll be doing a good bit of spinning around on it and I'd like to use it going to and from work.

Can I buy wider tyres for it? I'd like to be able to go on trails if I came across any!

nope!!!
    i wouldnt take that anywhere near a trail, even gravel tbh!!! its not built for it at all, just strictly road use!
    it will make a great commuter too, as sombody said avove, just keep it maintained.

• Advertisement

If you get a cyclocross bike, you could take that on trails. It wouldn't be as good on the trails as a proper mountain bike, and it wouldn't be as good on the road as a proper road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Afraid not. I do like to go off road myself but I have a couple of hardtails for that. The FCR is strictly for on road (and good surface road at that). Avoid damaged ground, potholes (even small ones) and general uneven surface. Most roads are ok (once you find out which ones to avoid) but crappy cycle paths and roads with poor surface close to the kerb can cause problems. Gravel is ok though.

It's all about compromise. You get a nice smooth long distance road ride but you compromise on trails. The bike just isn't built to take abuse. Alternatively you could get a bike suitable for road and trail but it wouldn't be as efficient on long cycles as a road bike. It's a kick in the nuts for those of us who like on and off road.

You could buy a light hardtail and put slicks on it for using on road and then put mtb tyres on for trails but it still wont be as efficient as the FCR on the road. It wouldn't be as good as a propper trail bike either so you lose on both counts really.

For what you're looking for at that price, a good commuter bike and a good long distance bike then the FCR is a good choice but if you want to take it off road too then don't buy it.

raam makes a good point, check out the kona jake.
    are you romancing with the off road idea, or are you seriously going with it??
    now my idea of a trail is, jumps, berms,drops, and all going down, now im sure others have a different idea, and i wouldnt chance some trails unless i have at least 150mm travel up front.

My idea of trails would be the likes of gravel paths in parks or just uneven roads. I still think on balance that the vast majority of the use this'll get will be on tarmac so Im still leaning towards it.

The other thing is that I'm a small enough fella.. 5'7.. so will the small frame still give me the benefit of the design?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

My idea of trails would be the likes of gravel paths in parks or just uneven roads. I still think on balance that the vast majority of the use this'll get will be on tarmac so Im still leaning towards it.

The other thing is that I'm a small enough fella.. 5'7.. so will the small frame still give me the benefit of the design?

if you're planning to do long miles on the road then that FCR looks good, for the money. road geometry and high psi tires make you go faster than any mountain bike with slicks, but no off road shenanigans i'm afraid. quick question, are you sure you want flat bars? seems like everyone who buys a hybrid (and uses it) ends up buying a road bike with drops within a couple of years. hand positions.

being smaller you'll most likely get the best out of the frame i reckon, smaller frames are stiffer and slightly lighter. and if your light too you can get away with rougher roads more easily. get a good saddle though.

if you do want to get muddy and find out exactly wtf a berm(?) is , you'd have to buy an entirely different bike.

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    if you're planning to do long miles on the road then that FCR looks good, for the money. road geometry and high psi tires make you go faster than any mountain bike with slicks, but no off road shenanigans i'm afraid. quick question, are you sure you want flat bars? seems like everyone who buys a hybrid (and uses it) ends up buying a road bike with drops within a couple of years. hand positions.

being smaller you'll most likely get the best out of the frame i reckon, smaller frames are stiffer and slightly lighter. and if your light too you can get away with rougher roads more easily. get a good saddle though.

if you do want to get muddy and find out exactly wtf a berm(?) is , you'd have to buy an entirely different bike.

Interesting.. Yeah I had a racing bike before but I just felt awkward on it in traffic. The hybrid with flat bars is more what I'm after.

a berm is a raised bank around a bend, which allows you to ride/lean on it, so you can fly through twisty sections, without slowing down,it also has a slingshot effect if used right. you really only find them on dh trails.

but ye id say go for it, if your only doing trails in the park, it should be fine.
    In anyways i reckon you will get pissed off with it off road and stop, before it breaks, usualy happens with the funny ride position and geometry of hybrids.

and don go for drops unless you are really confident on a bike, they can be very un-nerving at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I too would suggest considering drops if you are planning 100k+ cycles (Ring of Kerry is 180k.) If the bike fits they should not present any issues. If you did go cyclocross you would get top-bar brake levers in any case.

The more I think about it, the better that Giant is looking.

By drops do you mean drop handlebars? I'm much more comfortable in traffic without them. I couldnt get used to them on my old road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have the FCR3 2007 model. I am 5'10 and have the medium frame. I love it. I cycle 16 round trip to work most days and around town, I wouldn't take it off road. The only thing I did was take off those horn handle bar extension things.

The 2008 looks sexier.

By drops do you mean drop handlebars? I'm much more comfortable in traffic without them. I couldnt get used to them on my old road bike.

Yup, that's what we mean. They really aren't a problem in traffic when you get used to them. I use them everyday. I spend most the time on the hoods which give good access to the brakes. When I first got them, yes, I felt nervous on them, but that disappeared very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I have a regular road bike (i.e. with drop bars) as well as an FCR 3 and I have to say I'd go for the FCR commuting every time. (That's if I didn't currently use a singlespeed instead of either of them.)

I'd even opt for the FCR touring too, by the way - have done a couple of times and will do so again next Summer. Over an extended period, I prefer the more upright riding position - something to do with the shape of me, I reckon. I also find it easier to look around and take in the scenery than I would on drops.

Also, the bar extensions on the FCR do give you that one extra riding position for when your hands get tired.

To the OP: I say go for the FCR3. As that other lad said, keep it maintained reasonably well and you'll have no regrets. (By the way, I find the saddle on the 2007 model - that's the black one - to be perfectly comfortable. Then again, I've not done more than 100km in a day on it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Actually, one negative comment I have on the FCR3: the Kenda tyres that came with mine gave me way too many punctures. I replaced them with Specialized Armadillos - 30 brick a pop but very puncture-resistant by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

The "stock tires being rubbish" complaint could be made about most bikes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It looks a fantastic bike, ive always liked the FCR and had hoped to get one sometime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Any updates on this Trotter?
    Did you go for it, and if so whats the verdict? I've pretty much convinced myself to get one, but not 100% on it yet, any reviews are helpful. Whatever happens i'm definitely buying something next week (i've been saying that for months, but i mean it this time:p).

I hope to have news on it next week! Just shopping for prices at the moment.

Could you all give me a bit of advice on this..

A local shop can do the bike for €525 but I can get it from McConveys online shop in the North for €465 including delivery.

Does anyone know whether there'd be a lot of assembly involved if I buy it from McConveys or am I better of paying the extra €60 to my local shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Could you all give me a bit of advice on this..

A local shop can do the bike for €525 but I can get it from McConveys online shop in the North for €465 including delivery.

Does anyone know whether there'd be a lot of assembly involved if I buy it from McConveys or am I better of paying the extra €60 to my local shop?

i'd go with the local bike store! usually free first service and a place to take it back anytime you have a problem! if your having trouble, posting it back up north will cost you that 60 bucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Where is your local shop?
    €525 is cheaper than most places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I would go with the local bike store too. They'll build the bike up for you and give you the first service free. CRC will just ship you the box as they received it off their supplier and you'll have to part build it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For €60 I'd go for the local bike shop. I've bought online before, but that was for a €1,000 difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I got the very similar LaPierre RCR500 to do the Wicklow 200, and a few medium (100K+) stints, and I haven't looked back. Got the kevlar tires, higher ratio chainset and some decent cycling shorts, all from cyclesuperstore.ie last year, join the 'club' and you get 5-10% off too. Buy it in a brick and mortar store if you possibly can, there's way better service (my derailleur imploded on me one day and they replaced it without a question).

Paid for and due in the shop on Friday. Thanks a lot for all the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 slurp

its an ok bike but if you love bikes and long runs and not a full road bike then the sirrus comp is a very good bike have done many 60 mile and 100 ml trips a bit more than what you are spending but why not spoil yourself

Advertisement