Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good, honest, mechanic?

• 01-01-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Firstly, happy New Year to all!

I have car troubles and need a good, honest mechanic who'll do the job and won't rip me off. As specifically as I can, I've a '98 Renault Megane 1.6 and basically it's losing power and stalling. It started off weeks ago and just got progressively worse. At first it was intermittent, it was "chugging", then had spurts of being fine, then back to chugging again. As of yesterday, it's chugging constantly, is never normal, and stalls all the time.

Someone told me it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders instead of the usual 4. I don't know much about cars, but I guess that makes sense. Other people, however, have told me it's the clutch, and that's why it's also smelling so strangely. I got a new clutch sent over from England, in case that's what it is, so it's all ready to be fitted by a mechanic, assuming that's what's needed.

Anyway, as I said, I don't really know much about cars, and I'm terrified of being ripped off as I have been before. Can anyone please recommend a good, honest, reasonably priced garage or mechanic in Waterford City?

Many thanks to all.. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The garage at the top of New Street/Johns Lane, they have a good rep.

Turn left off Johns St when the pedestrianisation starts and turn left opposite the bewery depot and you will see a garage with a bodyshop just below it.
    To the right is what used to be the College Art Department.

http://www.waterfordtourism.org/maps/waterford-city.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

mike65 wrote: »
    The garage at the top of New Street/Johns Lane, they have a good rep.

Turn left off Johns St when the pedestrianisation starts and turn left opposite the bewery depot and you will see a garage with a bodyshop just below it.
    To the right is what used to be the College Art Department.

http://www.waterfordtourism.org/maps/waterford-city.jpg

Mike.

Ah, Mike to my rescue again! Cheers, mate. I'll pop up there tomorrow then, all being well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Fella out at Piltown called John Merry, will do really good job aned won't charge you an arm and a leg if you can get out towards that way. Benn going to him for years, farcheaper than any one in waterford and does just as good a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Davy duggan in Railway square.

Davys an excellent mechanic and he's a gentleman...he deffo wont rip you off or over charge ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

he's good too alright.Went to him about a radio few years back and helped alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

benifa wrote: »
    Firstly, happy New Year to all!

I have car troubles and need a good, honest mechanic who'll do the job and won't rip me off. As specifically as I can, I've a '98 Renault Megane 1.6 and basically it's losing power and stalling. It started off weeks ago and just got progressively worse. At first it was intermittent, it was "chugging", then had spurts of being fine, then back to chugging again. As of yesterday, it's chugging constantly, is never normal, and stalls all the time.

Someone told me it sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders instead of the usual 4. I don't know much about cars, but I guess that makes sense. Other people, however, have told me it's the clutch, and that's why it's also smelling so strangely. I got a new clutch sent over from England, in case that's what it is, so it's all ready to be fitted by a mechanic, assuming that's what's needed.

Anyway, as I said, I don't really know much about cars, and I'm terrified of being ripped off as I have been before. Can anyone please recommend a good, honest, reasonably priced garage or mechanic in Waterford City?

Many thanks to all.. :)

Did you go? What was the problem? I have the same issue!

Thanks for all the recommendations lads, really appreciate it. I actually took the car to O'Byrnes garage at the top of New Street/Johns Lane on Wednesday afternoon, as recommend by mike65.

I explained the problem to the mechanic and he had a quick listen to the engine and told me it sounds like it's only running on 2 cylinders, not 3. He looked under the bonnet quickly and said it's probably the ignition coil that's gone. Since it was late in the day (about 4.30pm), he recommended I bring it in to him tomorrow.

So, I left it with him yesterday morning. I asked him to have a look at the clutch as many people had advised me it might by dodgy. I also asked him to check the breaks. He agreed and advised the estimated total cost would be about €150, if what he thinks is the problem actually is.

He called me up yesterday afternoon to tell me the car was ready. He told me that on full inspection, it was indeed the ignition coil that was gone and so he replaced it. He also checked the clutch and said there was nothing wrong with it. Also, he checked the breaks and told me they were fine. Total was €150 (so didn't charge me for inspecting the breaks or clutch).

I collected the car this morning and it's purring like a pussy cat again. I wish I could remember the mechanic's name (Steve, I think), but he was a genuine chap, clearly knows his profession and didn't take advantage of my lack of motoring knowledge. I'll be going to him for all my motoring needs, going forward, and will be recommending him to everyone.

Finally, a garage I can trust. Thanks again, mike65!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No probs!

When I took my car in for a diagnosis of engine and some knocking from the drives etc he advised me not to spend any money on it as it wasn't worth the potential costs (poor oil pressure and such means the engine is on borrowed time the cars only worth a 1000-1500). He could have said different and taken plenty off me. The car is still going grand as it happens.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    No probs!

When I took my car in for a diagnosis of engine and some knocking from the drives etc he advised me not to spend any money on it as it wasn't worth the potential costs (poor oil pressure and such means the engine is on borrowed time the cars only worth a 1000-1500). He could have said different and taken plenty off me. The car is still going grand as it happens.

Mike.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. A good, honest mechanic that knows his profession, says it like it is and doesn't have euro signs in his eyes constantly. He's one of a dying breed I'd say. So long as I live in Waterford, I won't be going anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

benifa wrote: »
    Thanks for all the recommendations lads, really appreciate it. I actually took the car to O'Byrnes garage at the top of New Street/Johns Lane on Wednesday afternoon, as recommend by mike65.

I explained the problem to the mechanic and he had a quick listen to the engine and told me it sounds like it's only running on 2 cylinders, not 3. He looked under the bonnet quickly and said it's probably the ignition coil that's gone. Since it was late in the day (about 4.30pm), he recommended I bring it in to him tomorrow.

So, I left it with him yesterday morning. I asked him to have a look at the clutch as many people had advised me it might by dodgy. I also asked him to check the breaks. He agreed and advised the estimated total cost would be about €150, if what he thinks is the problem actually is.

He called me up yesterday afternoon to tell me the car was ready. He told me that on full inspection, it was indeed the ignition coil that was gone and so he replaced it. He also checked the clutch and said there was nothing wrong with it. Also, he checked the breaks and told me they were fine. Total was €150 (so didn't charge me for inspecting the breaks or clutch).

I collected the car this morning and it's purring like a pussy cat again. I wish I could remember the mechanic's name (Steve, I think), but he was a genuine chap, clearly knows his profession and didn't take advantage of my lack of motoring knowledge. I'll be going to him for all my motoring needs, going forward, and will be recommending him to everyone.

Finally, a garage I can trust. Thanks again, mike65!

I've been going to Tony O'Byrne for years, so has hubby, Tony and his son Peter are very good and whenever we change our vehicles they check them out for us. Tony is a gentleman

• Advertisement
Advertisement