Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I overloading the mains' socket?

• 01-01-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I've an NTL box, TV, DVD player, Xbox 360, amplifier, modem and a router and only two sockets to power all of these devices.

There's no real scope for moving some of these appliances. What is the safest and most energy efficient way to connect up everthing to the mains' socket?

At the moment I am using two standard extension leads connected to the two sockets and I am concerned I will wake up one night to the smoke alarm going off.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Nah you'll be grand with that.

Its only dangerous if you're running multiple high wattage items off the one socket, you risk overloading the wiring which can result in fire.

In any case, if you do overload a socket, your fuses will trip to let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

What about one of those Belkin Surge Masters I see everywhere? Should I invest in one?

My modem and router have to be plugged in at the moment. Can I power them without using a plug, ie with a telephone lead, with the Belkin Surge Master?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

silvine wrote: »
    I've an NTL box, TV, DVD player, Xbox 360, amplifier, modem and a router and only two sockets to power all of these devices.

There's no real scope for moving some of these appliances. What is the safest and most energy efficient way to connect up everthing to the mains' socket?

At the moment I am using two standard extension leads connected to the two sockets and I am concerned I will wake up one night to the smoke alarm going off.

Any tips?

Ah you should be grand. Just make sure all your voltage transformers have the CE/BS mark. Don't use those multi-voltage transformers you can get in the pound shop! I'd be worried if you had 4 heaters connected to one socket.

The two biggest guzzlers would be your amplifier and your TV -- plug these into two separate 4-way adapters and plug in the remaining low-voltage devices.

If you're really that worried -- plug it out at night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Great cheers. I'm using two I got in Tesco. I'll have a look for that mark. I normally turn them off at night but it seemed like a lot of appliances to have plugged into the those sockets. It's pretty messy with all the wires at the moment!

Cheers for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Get yourself one of these and place the control unit near the door so that you can kill the power at night without the fuss...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=220687&&source=14&doy=1m1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you get 2 of those 4socket strips you'll have a socket spare.
    If you are concerned, change the 13Amp fuses for 5 or 3 Amp ones. The load from the devices will be less than this unless you have a very big and inefficient tv/amplifier.

3kW is less than 13Amps off 240V - that would be a two bar and a single bar electric fire.

Advertisement