Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Licence Query?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Yes, I stand corrected. :eek: :) They must have changed the FAQs since October as then it stated that the unaccompanied rule exemption only applied to those who held the 2nd licence on 30th October. I specifically remember Minister Dempsey stating that the deferral to June only applied to current 2nd provisional licence holders! :confused:

I don't understand why the exemption would be given those on their 2nd Learner Permit as they, unlike those on a 2nd provisional, could never have been legally unaccompanied anyway and therefore would have nothing to lose. :confused:

that was my understanding of it as well, the deferral was just to help those 2nd provisional holders who had applied and were waiting for the test to get it done and out the way

very suprised they've altered it as its seems very silly to let people get use to driving on their own and then have them go back to being accompanied in June. All thats going to happen is they're going to kick up a stink come june or keep driving alone and claim ignorance if stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ztoical wrote: »
    that was my understanding of it as well, the deferral was just to help those 2nd provisional holders who had applied and were waiting for the test to get it done and out the way

very suprised they've altered it as its seems very silly to let people get use to driving on their own and then have them go back to being accompanied in June. All thats going to happen is they're going to kick up a stink come june or keep driving alone and claim ignorance if stopped
    It also begs the question of what happens to the pre 12th August 1985 Provisional Licence holders as arguably they have a greater "entitlement" to continue to drive unaccompanied since they have been permitted to do so for the past 22 years and would surely suffer more hardship than 2nd Licence/Permit holders.

There is no mention of these motorist in any new regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

I think there was a lot of confusion at the time. My first provisional ran out in early November , so I assumed I wouldn't be able to drive alone on my new learner permit. But it seems they treat it exactly the same way as a provisional

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

ztoical wrote: »
    Can someone clarify if thats right - I thought it was you could ask for a different date up to two times without having to pay again as long as you do it before 10 days of your test date but you go back on the waiting list? I'm sitting mine next week come rain hail or shine but my friend just cancelled his as he has to go to london for a work thing and has to wait again [but not pay]

Not so sure if the rearranging is true. I was talking to the RSA recently to find out how long my test date was likely to be...waiting since last April ish.
    They said 10 weeks but I still havent heard. If i get a date between the end of Feb and middle of March I cant take the test and the lady from the RSA said if i cancel i go back to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If i get a date between the end of Feb and middle of March I cant take the test and the lady from the RSA said if i cancel i go back to the bottom.
    Did you let them know that in your original application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Did you let them know that in your original application?

No because I applied last April so I had no idea at the time that it wouldnt suit me. Im a trainee teacher and will be on my final placement. Cant take a day off to do the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Not so sure if the rearranging is true. I was talking to the RSA recently to find out how long my test date was likely to be...waiting since last April ish.
    They said 10 weeks but I still havent heard. If i get a date between the end of Feb and middle of March I cant take the test and the lady from the RSA said if i cancel i go back to the bottom.

I applied in Spetember, got a test date for February which I can't go to, rang SGS they have rescheduled my test and I have not gone to the bottom of the list.

Advertisement