Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the dangers of going wireless

• 01-01-2008 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    happy new year to ye all!
    i have a small business running from home at the moment, and m thinking of going wireless, however i am unsure of whether its safe to do so or not, i am not entirely confident in the securty of a wireless signal.
    Wtih confidential information being sent, is it wise for me to go wireless?
    is there securirty measures that can be taken to reduce this security risk?
    any feedback on this wood be great
    thanks for your help,ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't use WEP, use WPA at a minimum. Also ensure that you only allow your computers MAC address to access wirelessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Also, in your wireless routers configuration page, don't enable "broadcast SSID".

The SSID is the name of your wireless network, which you set up on your wireless router. Eg. you might call your wireless network "EuroTrotterNET".
    I always give mine a fairly anonymous name, ie. nothing to do with my name, address etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Most 'sniffers' don't need the SSID to be broadcast.
    Fair point about the naming scheme.

WPA - what implementation? WPA-PSK is crackable, more secure means are quite likely too complex for the OP.

MAC spoofing is simple & doesn't add that much extra security.

They're all fine suggestions for the standard home user; I wouldn't fancy passing sensitive data across the network, though.

Sorry to be rude, but I have to answer question with question: Why go wireless? What are your needs? Consider HomePlug & Powerline, etc?

</paranoia>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Karoma wrote: »
    </paranoia>
    OP, if you go wireless, remember one thing. It's like the wired setup you have now, minus the four walls.

Without proper protection, anyone can wander in, and because of this, unless you really need wireless, look into HomePlug, if you just can't afford extra through floors, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 saxo120

the_syco wrote: »
    Don't use WEP, use WPA at a minimum. Also ensure that you only allow your computers MAC address to access wirelessly.

thanks for this comment, how do i go about doing this though?
    thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement