Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Fortress 2

Options
  • 01-01-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Got the orange box yesterday and have spent most of my time playing this, its great! One thing that is confusing me is the scoring system. How exactly does it work ?

I know the obvious ones. i.e 1 point for a kill, 0.5 points for an assist...but how do things like healing and sentry gun kills work ? What about dispensers etc ? How much damage do you have to cause to get an assist and how does the dominator thing work ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Once you hurt someone then someone else finishes them off you get an assist
    Engies get a point for every kill a sentry makes and every time someone uses their teleport. Not sure if eng get any points for people using the dispenser.
    Medics get an assist for every kill the person they are healing gets

Dominating someone happens when you kill them so many time without them killing you. It serves no point in the scoring system but adds rivarly between players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Once you hurt someone then someone else finishes them off you get an assist
    Engies get a point for every kill a sentry makes and every time someone uses their teleport. Not sure if eng get any points for people using the dispenser.
    Medics get an assist for every kill the person they are healing gets

Dominating someone happens when you kill them so many time without them killing you. It serves no point in the scoring system but adds rivarly between players.

Wow... a point every time someone uses a teleport! That must be an easy way to get points. Someone else told me that you get extra points if you continue to kill someone you are dominating.

Also, how does the spy stuff work ? When you disguise yourself as an enemy...are you constantly disguised as them ? How can the other team spot you if thats the case ?

Ive mostly been playing as solder & sniper as they are easiest to get to grips with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Enemy spies...hmm, it's just something that you'll notice after a while...signs are...

Spies have to carry the name of someone on your team...if they have your name, shoot them, or if you know that someone with that name is somewhere else, shoot them. Harder to spot, but if they are disgused as a class that your team lacks it's pretty obvious too, just do a quick name -> class check.

They can only hold the primary weapon of the class they are disgused as; so if there is a soldier with a shovel out, it's not a spy.

Spies cannot shoot without giving up thier identity, if someone is shooting, they are not a spy.

Be on the look out for your pyros setting "friendlies" on fire; they're spies.

You'll pass through your teammates...you'll collide with spies.

I *think* some weapons will only register hits with spies too such as rockets and demoman grenades.

Mostly though, it's a behavioual thing that you'll get used to. Soldier running towards enemy but not shooting? Don't follow him, peg him in the back. Pyro just walked past an enemy? Shoot them both :). Engineer coming to your base from the far side of the map with a shotgun? Suspect. Anyone near your sentries or moving towards them? Suspect.

Also if you're in a forward position you may see spies cloak or de-cloak in puffs of smoke, or you may see a really obvious "friendly" engineer running to your base from the depths of theirs. Alert your teammates.

You can't tell if it's a spy until they are dead, so keep firing at them if you suspect, unless you see them change weapon or shoot or something.

That's about all I can think of for spy detection.

I don't think an engiee gets a point per TP, I think it's like 1 point for every 5 or something like that. I'm pretty sure they get points for healing too just like the medic but obviously they heal much slower. Healing works on a heal for xHP get a point type system I think.

Ah right, cheers for that its a great help. I always seem to get way more kills when playing as sniper...havent mastered the other classes yet. Keep getting killed by pesky spies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Give me a shout if anyone wants a rocket to the face :) Any Irish servers up?

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    Give me a shout if anyone wants a rocket to the face :) Any Irish servers up?

Whats your Steam ID ? Can play on a non-Irish server until theres one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Tusky wrote: »
    Ah right, cheers for that its a great help. I always seem to get way more kills when playing as sniper...havent mastered the other classes yet. Keep getting killed by pesky spies though.

I found playing as a medic, where you're always following other team-mates, was a great way to learn the levels and observe the tactics of other classes while still being a productive member of the team.

Got very comfortable in the medic role though, I still go back to it more often than any other class now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i remember the first TFC, good fun alright. must get around to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Was pleasantly surprised by TF2 actually. Tend to play engineer primarily then medic then spy then whatever.

Wasn't sure on the points scoring myself until now. I've played the game and seemed to kill and get assists and my score goes nowhere and then sometimes I'm top of the leaderboard which is odd when I've played solely as an engineer.

Tusky (like Smelly said) when you play as spy you can make yourself look like the enemy. I favour scout initially as it allows you to move fast (your walking speed matches the class you chose to change to).

Tips for being a spy:

Use the scout class initially, it's the fastest for running but use the relevant class for where you are. eg in 2fort only snipers are on the balcony usually. ACT like a sniper. Don't look at the other players on the balcony and just wait for your backstab. Same with being deep in the base, change to an engineer. Being a medic can be fun as enemies often run to you and so on. Just remember when you're being a spy try to be seen running backwards to your destination as it looks like you're back pedalling for ammo/health. The rest is luck really. Cos FF is always off you'll have noticed everyone fires at everyone else to kill cloaked spies.

For detecting them again like smelly said just look for team mates running in the wrong direction really. Why is a medic on his own running towards your intel etc... Personally I just shoot everyone in the face. It's easier. You'll cotton on very quickly to spotting spies. Playing successfully as the class is a different matter. I'm getting better but for the most part it's just frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Get over to the Half-Life board, we've a got a load of people from there playing TF2 now and we've got a Steam friends group for boards.ie set up so we can find each other on servers easily.

There is an Irish server up ("Irish eSports") and I get fantastic pings to it (<10) but its usually empty :/

• Advertisement

Cheers, thats a good help. I didn't know about the running speed with spies, handy.how do you do the rocket jump with the soldier ? I always end up shooting the ground and hurting myself. Also, any idea what the achievements do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

To rocket jump you jump and shoot the ground underneath you when you're at the peak of your jump. You do take damage but thats the pay off. Demo men can also nade jump with their stickies, you go alot further but take more damage.

Achievements add goals for you to achieve and enlarge your penis.

They're adding a bunch of new achievements soon, apparently.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Achievements add goals for you to achieve and enlarge your penis.

Thought so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Another MAJOR spy tell-tale sign:

Players with full health running towards you shouting 'Medic!' as soon as they see you. Or players going through the list of 'positive' commands, like a Heavy walking the wrong way shouting, 'Good times!' or 'I am really happy!'.

You'll also find n00b spies who are dressed as scouts and cannot run fast enough, or dressed as Snipers in the wrong place. Look out for Medics who are not healing people constantly. But yeah, like someone else said, it's a behaviour you'll get used to. Spies will run down the side tunnel in 2fort and move to the side when they see you. This seems to be a reflex they cannot help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Spies front on will get destroyed by normal melee weapons.
    I love when spies think I am an easy target due to my Rugged Aussie charm as a sniper, then get spanked by a machete.
    "Spies! Blardy Useless!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Stephen wrote: »
    They're adding a bunch of new achievements soon, apparently.

I cant wait for the "Accused of Cheating" achievement.

*shoots flying demoman 200ft up in the head*

"HAX!"

*popup in corner of screen*
    "You have gained the: Noob Cheat Accusation achievement"

Haha, I got accused of cheating last night. I captured the last cap point on well as a scout. That point captures quite fast normally, but when you're a scout as usual you capture points twice as fast.

OMG SPEEDH4X

Anyone want a game now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

YES! Oh wait...posted at 13:34...nm

• Advertisement

Another question : For the boards.ie group on steam, theres usually about 10 people 'in game', is there any easy way to see what game they are playing without having to click into their profile. It would be a bit silly if there wasn't.

If you go into Friends from within steam and expand the boards.ie group it'll show you what everyone's playing.

Stephen wrote: »
    If you go into Friends from within steam and expand the boards.ie group it'll show you what everyone's playing.

and how come the 'join' button is only available on some ? There are a few people playing TF2 but I cant join them. (sorry for all the questions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

That usually happens when someone is in the game but not in a server. Nice to know about that expanding the group thing, always thought it was stupid that you couldn't easily tell what everone in-game was actually playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Personally I just shoot everyone in the face. It's easier.

Ah, buta really good spy won't even react when you do! Just carry on bleeding away under his disguise, and then hunt you down...

I've seen an achievement or two pop up on my screen whilst playing but are they permanent things or like badges? Where do I view my achievements?

In the main menu of TF2 there's an achievements option. That'll tell you which ones you have and haven't got. They can also be viewed on your steam friends page too I think.

LOL. Now you mention it I remember that alright but I've never clicked on it!

Me is stoopid :) Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My steam ID is = Praetorian aka damien. I've found some good UK reasonably high skill servers with very good pings, but would love to find an Irish server with 15 ms ping ;)

• Advertisement

Ive been getting pretty steady pings of 20-30 but I always get nasty lag spikes. About one every round or two. Is there a reason for this ? Does it happen to anyone else ?

Advertisement