Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recover deleted directory from EXT3/LVM volume

• 01-01-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Smart boy here managed to recursively delete about 100GB of information off a partition.

Ive googled but cant find anything conclusive. It was formatted EXT3 but mounted as an LVM, although there were no other volumes in the set. It running FC6.

Any ideas? Ive tried some of the windows based recovery programs, but they seem to have an issue with it being an LVM volume.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

EXT3 = no recovery. Sorry for your troubles. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As Khannie says an ext3 filesystem does not facilitate un-deletion. In order to facilitate replaying of the ext3 journal after a crash the filesystem zeros the block pointers of inodes so that unlink operations can safely continue without risking data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

As the old saying goes "Your only as good as your last backup".

Please tell me you have a recent backup?. Thats a bit of a kick in the stones alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Theoretically, if you have a small number of small files on a lightly fragmented filesystem it will be possible to use the debug utilities to find the files (or part thereof). The problem is that given the zeroing of the block pointer, the indirect block model of ext3 and the likelyhood of fragmentation it's almost impossible to reliably find anything other than the smallest files, and that's before you think about the likelihood of the blocks being re-allocated before you pulled the plug.

I once tried this with very limited success when someone accidentally deleted some important data from a server and don't think I'd bother again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

thanks for all your input guys.
    As the old saying goes "Your only as good as your last backup".

Please tell me you have a recent backup?. Thats a bit of a kick in the stones alright...

Id disagree, its as good as the least restore you tested ;). It wasnt backed up, mainly as it wasnt really THAT important but I figured it would be a good excerise in any event.

I came across this, it recovered the files in good condition, but of course the names are no longer intact. Handy all the same, can you cant argue with the price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Was actually going to suggest that one.
    TestDisk has saved my laptop many times

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File_Formats_Recovered_By_PhotoRec

Advertisement