Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

effectively accused of stealing and lying by rude shop assistant but I'm innocent.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sign up with somewhere like http://www.screenclick.com/ and suffer no more late fees, dodgy sales assistants etc

I'd have to agree, people are talking out there arses regarding getting solicators involved,

Speak to the manager and remain calm and don't start being abusive, but in the long run if your not happy with the service then use another company...screenclick are pretty good and are much better value for money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Let us know what you do...

my advise would be ask for a print out of your account.
    then ask which staff member was on the day and time you dropped it back.
    Get the shop to check the cctv while you are there and ask if you can go through it with them.
    you should be on it and the rest is history. after everything is resolved hand in writen complant about the abusive staff member

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Sorry, if you fail to return DVDs, you should be fined. Your Dad should have paid the €188 - thats scabby. Everyone else makes an effort to return videos on time or pay fines, why is your daddy exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Sorry, if you fail to return DVDs, you should be fined. Your Dad should have paid the €188 - thats scabby. Everyone else makes an effort to return videos on time or pay fines, why is your daddy exempt?

I agree. Fair enough if you've brought back the DVDs and are being accused of not doing so, like the OP. You shouldn't have to pay in that case. But if you just don't bother bringing them back for a month, then you should have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I am currently trying to get in touch with customer services to explain the situation. I don't care about not being able to rent from there anymore, I wouldn't rent from them again after this anyway. I simply do not want to pay for fines and replacement dvds, or get in legal trouble or a bad credit rating or something because I don't deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

bad credit rating? legal trouble? over two unreturned dvd's? get real mate.

I would just go into the store and talk to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

dellas1979 wrote: »

The fact that dvd rental companies charge extortionate prices for not returning dvd's on time. 188 euro for 30 days is roughly 3.93€ per day. That's ludicrous!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The fact that dvd rental companies charge extortionate prices for not returning dvd's on time. 188 euro for 30 days is roughly 3.93€ per day. That's ludicrous!

Well if I bring back a DVD late I'm charged the cost of a night's rental because I've had the DVD and extra night. It kind of makes sense, although I do think the price of rental is a bit expensive. (There might be a reason for this, I don't know.)

OP, I hope you complain about this Katherine one. She obviously has no concept of customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

No one is going to take legal action,when customers mention legal action it just takes away any credibility they had,you know they won't do it,you would want to be mad to pay legal fees over dvds.

Secondly,the video store will never take legal action either,not over missing dvds. It just won't happen,it is common for tapes to me misplaced by staff,or for someone else to rent on your account if the account is not cardholder only.

Complain about the one that rang you,to Xtra-Vision customer services at their H/O. The store manager will then be told about the complaint. Then go into the manager about the dvds,explain exactly what happened,that you dropped them back,that you have always returned tapes and they should sort it there for you. Beyond that nothing will happen.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

@tvnutz - good sensible points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I had a similar problem with Xtravision. Long story short, I asked them to show me the CCTV. It was a dummy camera :rolleyes:.

That was the end of that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It very well might be in your view, but you agreed to use of there products and services and as such your bound by there Terms & Conditions, if the item wasn't returned you were in the wrong....

If you don't like what the video shop charges then why did you bother using there services to start with?

3.93€ per day is still cheaper then the normal nightly fee for a new release so their actually being pretty good about it in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I thought the policy in most places is not to charge you any more than the cost of replacing the lost DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

That could actually be quite a bit, 75 or 100 euros anyhow.

the cost to the business has also been incurred in the sense that they couldn't re-rent while you had it out. This is definitely a fair point if you have an in-demand title which would be out nearly every night.

The economics of the dvd rental business are actually quite strange if you investigate them.

a.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

So the out come (since today is thursday...isnt it)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Slice wrote: »
    I thought the policy in most places is not to charge you any more than the cost of replacing the lost DVD?
    This is usually far more expensive than buying a DVD in a shop though, as the cost is around €80 afaik.

You have to see it from the shop's point of view. If you are holding onto the DVD, then you're possibly denying someone else from seeing it and therefore denying that income to the shop, particularly if it's a popular rental. So the shop charge you. Fair game. In the case of €188, it would probably make more sense to cut a deal and charge half of that or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Slice wrote: »

Rental DVDs are more expensive than the retail versions we buy. This is to cover the extra royalties and rights that are generated by numerous people viewing the film.

Advertisement