Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VFC SCAR-L MK 16 Mod 0 review.

Options
  • 01-01-2008 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

I have had this now for a few weeks so I have finally been able to fully assess it.

Well, I suppose the best place to start is with the box. This AEG does not come in a box. It comes in a strong light weight black carry case which is a nice touch.

This is the MK 16 Mod 0 version which is the US SOCOM designation for the SCAR-L, its comes with the standard and cqc barrels. VFC modeled the Gen, 3 version which is the latest production standard, unlike CA which do the Gen. 2 version. You can tell by looking at the cheek rest on the stock.

Inside is the AEG, hi-cap mag, CQC barrel, owner ID card and the manual.
    The ID card have the model type, colour and serial number of the AEG, a nice touch and can help if others in your team have on in a match.

On taking it out of the box you can feel straight away the quality and how solid this AEG is, its a little over 3kg and just 60gs lighter than the real steel empty. There is no loose parts, wobbling, flexing or rattling. The upper reciever, barrel, sights and RIS rails are all metal and of high quality, the top RIS even has laser engraved numbering so you can remember where to place sights for best eye relief. The sights have a very solid feel as they flick into position and the rear sight is fully adjustable for windage and evelation if you actually want to fully set it up. I have an EOTech 551 set up on it and I can still use the iron sights with it in place, handy for zeroing the sight.

Size wise its the same length as an M4,M15 carbine with the standard barrel fitted. With the cqc barrel installed it is the same length as a G36C and with the stock folded it is the same length as a G36C with the stock folded.

The stock has 6 extended positions and 3 cheek elevation positions as per the real thing and can be folded to the side G36 style. Now a small gripe, the stock does not lock to the side very well and can be pushed out of position by the trigger finger of a right handed shooter, also with the stock folded it is a tight squeeze to get your trigger finger to the mag release, this seems to an issue with the real seel aswell. But you can always use the left release switch with your support hand so no biggie. The fact I always leave the stock fixed makes this a non issue for me.

The AEG can only take mini style batteries and the manual says it can take up to a 12.8V, so that must be in a PEQ box. I just use the standard 8.4V 1500mah which fits very snugly in the stock so it won't rattle around and the stock still has full functionality with the battery fitted. VFC did a great job here as ther a no wires running between the stock and reciever at all, the current is carrier through two small metal breackets in the hindge which connects the the metal plate, this then touches two metal prongs in the reciever. Its a great system that allows for realistic field stripping.

Back to the reciever, the upper reciever has full and realistic trades laser ingraved. It has the FN Herstal name, MK 16 Mod 0, Cal. 5.56mm and the unique serial number.

The lower reciever, made of polymer as per the real steal has the familiar M4/15.16 layout. The mag release is on both sides, the fire selector is like a cross between the Armalite and HK one. Its marked S, 1, A and each clicks solidly and firmly into place so no doubts on where you are. There is the usual Armalite style trigger and pistol grip all very well done and great texture on the grip.

The bolt release catch actually works and releases the blot when locked back which give a very nice metalic sound, its a nice touch and make access to the hop up better than having to hold the charging handle back.
    The charging handle can be swaped to either side as per the real steel. This can't be done on the fly and needs a field strip which is quick and easy to do.

Now for what I really love this AEG for, the 95% accurate way this thing fiel strips like the real steel. The one difference is that the real steel uses a torque wrench to undo 6 captive screws that hold te barrel in place. In the VFC model, the guys have done another nice touch, they have included a special hex key that is made look like a part of the gas block. It comes off in a quarter turn and from there the whole process is a close as possible to the real thing with out having the real thing in your hand. VFC even have a fake recoil spring and bolt carrier in this!

The stripping feature make this handy to work on and upgrade, you can get to the gearbox, barrel and hopup with no extra tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSaovos6W-M

Now, on to the loading and firing. Another gripe, I was not that happy with the 300rd hi-cap that came with this. Its works perfectly 100% no mis feeds or jams but it was just the finish on it. It did not feel to me the best plus it did not fit well in the mag well. It was very loose and they was a lot of play left to right and back and foward. This did not effect how it worked at all though. I have since got two G&P mid caps, these fell far better and fit perfectly in the mag well, no play at all and they drop free.

The two barrels that come with this AEG are both 6.04mm which is nice in a stock AEG and the accuracy is great with both .2 and .23 bb. This AEG is deffinately firing at the 1J mark and it has a great rate of fire with the standard battery. I find this AEG on the quiet side when compared to my G36C. The hop up is easy to adjust and stays in place the housing seems to made of clear perspex so you can see inside it. The range on this AEG with the standard barrel is better than my Maruzen L96. The bbs just seem to keep going. I can't wait for the SV barrel to come out. This is a great AEG at a great price. VFC better hurry with that EGLM which VFC even left space for in the carry case.

Quality 9.5/10
    Finish AEG 10/10. mag 7/10
    Value 9/10 €370 from Shiva for this quality piece and a carry case and extra barrel, plus I have seen it for £370 on UK sites!
    Highly recommended

Pics to follow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BlackOperative

I too own the VFC SCAR, but the US version. I have different opinions for this gun than most people. I think it is an incredible AEG... Until you find out that a 420USD gun has plastic bushings...PLASTIC BUSHINGS!! I run a 11.1 volt li-po in mine, and wow, the rpm's on that gun... Possibly 1100 rouns per minute. And that is with a systema M120 Spring, systema poly carb piston, and systema tappet plate. I replaced these right after full 68rds though it, as they were starting to melt. One bad part? Many say it is 8mm gearbox; not so, 7mm. So I am still waiting for my new bearings to show. Yes, the takedown is incredibly easy, fast, and realistic(you can just about say "real"). Gearbox removal is ABOUT like an ICS MP5, where the gearbox is held on to the handgrip. First, use an allen wrench and remove the aluminum heatsink, then the motor, and finally two phillips screws. Then the gearbox slides right out. But, make sure to first remove the mag catch assembly, and the top plate that holds those special connectors down, The one thing I didn't like about the disassembly, was that I still can't get both of the selector levers to work. There is a pin that runs through the gearbox, with two half gears on both ends, so that when you move the right hand side selector, it is supposed to go through the gearbox and move the other side. Yeah, I gave up after 2 hours. There has to be a trick to it, I just haven't had it figured out yet. I just can't get the gears to line up right.

Yes, magazines do wobble, and yes, it did dissapoint me... at first. I realized that with any airsoft gun (virtually), Mags will wobble over time. And the fact is, that the gun still works super smoothly, and It shouldn't ever wobble more than it does. So not a big prob.

At first, I was somewhat disapointed, with spending over 750 dollars overall on a gun, then having it be a little on the... whatever side. I have had it for 2 weeks, and it is already trying to be sold on the EVIKE.com forum.

MY VERDICT: Buy this gun. Yeah, I know, I did mention some things on here that will cause some of you dissappointment, and that the "awesome gun" you thought of is actually not that great. But, If you want what I think now, This gun is perfect. Nothing is better. Quite frankly, STAR sucks. Yeah, many will get mad over that statement, but consider this: my bro bought the star G36C at the same time as me, and already, the stock catch-button has broken, the mag WELL is wobbly, fore grip wobbly, motor smells burnt after a 3 second burst with a li-po, and hand grip wobbles. So, Star shouldn't sell for 720, not worth it. The nylon fiber it is constructed from? same as G36, not that great, not counting that it isn't real-steel realistic. As for CA, now as they are chinese, I wouldn't take one for free. NOT good guns at all.

SO, If you are thinking of purchasing a new scar, or any AEG for that matter, buy the scar with some bearings. It is the best AEG I have laid eyes on. I will be stopping the ad on evike shortly. This gun will most likey out last ANY other AEG on the market. IT IS PERFECT! This may sound corny, but I actually felt sorry for this gun after I even thought about selling it. It is that nice. Thanks for reading!

Taylor Morehouse
    VFC SCAR tan
    Systema poly-carb piston, Systema tappet, Systema M120 IP Spring, King arms 7mm ball bearings, matrix 6.035mm tightbore (410mm), King Arms foregrip, (3) matrix super real metal 68rd mags, (1) MAG 100rd midcap, EoTech 551 holographic sight, 1500mah 11.1v Lithium-poly battery, .23g matrix 5.98mm highest grade bb's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I just got a SCAR-L and thought I'd put up some pictures to accompany the two reviews. There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. The only thing I will comment on is the box. Whilst it's great for moving the SCAR around locally, it is not equivalent to my stormcase (for those of you who've seen it) and is not suitable for air-travel since it has no locking mechanism nor internal protective padding.

Anyway ... pictures!!!

Box.jpg

Box%20Contents.jpg

Scar%20-%20left%20side.jpg

Scar%20-%20right%20side.jpg

Top%20rail%20markings.jpg

Markings%20and%20cheek-rest.jpg

Rear%20-%20Stock%20folded.jpg

Scar%20folded%20-%20left%20side.jpg

Scar%20folded%20-%20right%20side.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement