Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodent Problem

Options
  • 01-01-2008 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Any thoughts on the following diagnosis of a rodent (rat) entry into a 1950s poured concrete house in the west of Ireland according to the pest control people The person stated due to the very thin path on one side of the house the rodent was able to follow along the drainage pipe and find a weakness in the wall allowing it to move between the interior wall and the drylining into the attic. We have this as a holiday home for three years now and it is the first incident of any kind. I thought they would of had a very sound foundation but not really sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If the house is anywhere near the sea and a sandy beach there is always a good change the concrete was made with sand from the beach and of very poor quality.

On the inside walls of an unlined poured concrete house we lived in for a while in Wexford you could taste the salt in the concrete. No DPC and foundations were a massive 4 inches thick. In the roof I could have rubbed a hole in the gable end walls with my bare hands it was that bad. Oh and we had rats and mice in the roof, not sure if they cohabited but could always find droppings in the roof space and sure as hell something was rolling around the rat bait in the roof over our bed each night.

During the summer we never had much if any of a problem but as soon as it got colder in the Autum in they came.

Regular baiting kept numbers down and at times got rid of them altogher. Cats and a Jack Russell also did some damage to the numbers but we couldn't stop them getting in so were always going to have a problem.

So I guess stopping them getting in is the first task after liberal use of rat poison. IMHO they can climb the outside of walls if the surface is very rough so its always possible they are going straight up the walls and in under the sofit boards. There might also be something else attracting them in Wexford we also had wild Bees in the roof and I think rats and mice are keen on the honey.

Advertisement