Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any way of making a diesel sound good?

Options
  • 01-01-2008 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

How can I make my Seat Leon Tdi sound less like a tractor to something a little bit tasty? Any chance of getting to hear the gush of the turbo ala Starlet GT/Galanza?And I wouldnt mind adding a bit of power onto its 110hp.Whats the best and least expensive way of doing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

How can I make my Seat Leon Tdi sound less like a tractor to something a little bit tasty? Any chance of getting to hear the gush of the turbo ala Starlet GT/Galanza?And I wouldnt mind adding a bit of power onto its 110hp.Whats the best and least expensive way of doing this?

You can't really make a diesel sound good unless you take out the engine and put in a V6 petrol! :)
    That gush sound from the Glanza brigade is a dump valve. You can fit it to yours but it can hinder performance as your turbo is set up by VW (before Seat take hold of it!) to release the air at the optimum point and rate that suits it's current state of tune. There are probably VAG clubs that might know of a suitable one for your engine. The cheapest and best way to increase your performance is to "chip" it or remap the ECU. There are places that do this, trackday performance are a place in Waterford I think that would do it, among plenty other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

You should go for a remap - tdi's can be tuned up to 130 - 180 bhp or even more depending on the engine type - air filters and exhausts can change the sound slightly but its on oil burner so it will alway sound like a diesel.

Try VAGdrivers.net for more advice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

vagdrivers head here.....

The 110 will remap to around 140-145 ish safely enough with buckets of torque to play with,what mileage is on your car right now? remapping when done properly will put very little strainn on engine parts such as turbos etc however a remap even when done right will put extra strain on your clutch,it all depends on the mileage of your car and how the clutch was previously treated some have experienced slight clutrch slip,i personally have only experienced it once and it never back.

As for making it sound better are you mad? theres nothing like the rattle of a turf burner in the morning :D

Joking aide you could install a Cold air induction kit,i had one for a brief period it made the car sound stupid so i took it out and iftted a K & N high flow filter - no more stupid sound and a much freer rev range.

To make a diesel sound sweet you are talking about hybrid turbos,Front mounts and straight through turbo back performnace exhausts - ive heard turf burners with a bit of work done to them and the can indeed be made to sound sweet.

As for current sound just let down your window while you floor it and listen to the turbo whistle esp after the boost has been adjusted via a decent remap,your average petrol turbo wont whistle half as sweet trust me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I had a 110 leon before and got it remapped to 141 BHP and 264 pounds of torque and by god it was fantastic!! The remap transforms the car to a beast of torque ;) it kicks you in the back, great feeling but being the nature of the diesel it only lasts a very short period of time

ando wrote: »
    but being the nature of the diesel it only lasts a very short period of time

what you mean by this ando? do you mean the power band is a narrow one? i have my TDI remapped and it has a good wide power band pulls all the way,although i never red line it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

tossy wrote: »
    vagdrivers head here.....

The 110 will remap to around 140-145 ish safely enough with buckets of torque to play with,what mileage is on your car right now? remapping when done properly will put very little strainn on engine parts such as turbos etc however a remap even when done right will put extra strain on your clutch,it all depends on the mileage of your car and how the clutch was previously treated some have experienced slight clutrch slip,i personally have only experienced it once and it never back.

As for making it sound better are you mad? theres nothing like the rattle of a turf burner in the morning :D

Joking aide you could install a Cold air induction kit,i had one for a brief period it made the car sound stupid so i took it out and iftted a K & N high flow filter - no more stupid sound and a much freer rev range.

To make a diesel sound sweet you are talking about hybrid turbos,Front mounts and straight through turbo back performnace exhausts - ive heard turf burners with a bit of work done to them and the can indeed be made to sound sweet.

As for current sound just let down your window while you floor it and listen to the turbo whistle esp after the boost has been adjusted via a decent remap,your average petrol turbo wont whistle half as sweet trust me :)

I have 85,000 miles on it. its an 01 SE model and I bought it in England so it seems to be well kept? Also lads and lassies where would the best place to get the induction kit,remap and even to get some cosmetic mods to it?

The point about the induction kit was its a bad idea unless married with a host of more expensive engine mods,but its all a matter of opinion so try it and see,i would stick with a K&N panel filter and remap

For the remap i would recommend joe at chippedire - www.chippedire.com he's done my TDI and maybe 90% of the TDIs on vagdrivers,he really knows his TDIs.

As for aesthetic mods my thoughts and what ive done with my own car would be to keep it OEM so you look at the leon and you look at the flag ship model i.e the cupra R and you go from there so you have things like dash trims,steering wheels seats,front and rear splitters bumpers etc..etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

can dump valves be fitted to diesels??

The can indeed but the words "handbrake" and "canoe" spring to mind,besides ive heard a TDI passat with a DV fitted and it justy sounded wrong,it felt dirty :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

starlets make alot of noise but can be beaten by most anyone really. ( 120 hp with a blow-off valve :rolleyes: )

imo add a decent exhaust system and a new air intake/filter should make it sound a bit better.

the cupra R it can be ought anywhere and would be a nice nixer for any of the many modder's here.
    can dump valves be fitted to diesels??

if it has a turbo , ofcourse it can but you only benefit when theres Large about of boost coming from the turbo ( hence why starlets make loads of noise but don't go fast )

• Advertisement

S.I.R wrote: »
    starlets make alot of noise but can be beaten by most anyone really. ( 120 hp with a blow-off valve :rolleyes: )

imo add a decent exhaust system and a new air intake/filter should make it sound a bit better.

the cupra R it can be ought anywhere and would be a nice nixer for any of the many modder's here.

if it has a turbo , ofcourse it can but you only benefit when theres Large about of boost coming from the turbo ( hence why starlets make loads of noise but don't go fast )

The benefit of DVs is not all boost related,a decently tuned glanza will boost at 1.0 bar or around 14 odd PSI an unmodified TDI golf/leon etc with the smallest 90bhp engine will boost at anything up to 18psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Dump valves for diesels are all electronically controlled afaik.

http://www.zen19051.zen.co.uk/prod01.htm

Not worth it imo. I just like the sound of my golf eating air while thundering down rural roads, especially when cold!

Bored-Stupid, Get a remap, you will be very very happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 levin95

dont fit an exhaust to a diesel few people around where i live have done that! it looks horrible, he puts his foot down and the person behind dies with the amount of smoke! theres not much difference in sound then too...

If you fit a stupid jap stlye exhaust to a diesel it may look stupid,i have a twin tailpipe peeping out from a V6 rear splitter and i think it looks the dogs!

As above it fitted with a hybrid turbo,and the exhaust is a proper job from the turbo back it will sound tasty on a high powered Diesel have you ever heard an ibiza cupra TDI with a Milltek?

As for the smoke its most likely re-mapped badly or fitted with a tunning box,there is undetectable levels of smoke from my turf burner and a host of others i know that have been mapped properly.If i floor it in front of you-you wont be able to tell its a diesel :D

theres 2 pug dturbos and both have backbox exhausts :(
    both the same, smoke everywhere! lol its funny saw the back bumper on one of them the other day... its turning black!!

well ya if you got a full system it would be a lot better but they are expensive! €800 i paid for my one like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

what about K&N Air filters??

can an universal fitting one be fitted to a jeep for example??

GO to a decent motor factors and you should be able to get a K&N panel filter for your model,its an oil based panel filter that replaces your exisitng one,never has to be changed again once you clean and oil it every 80k or so.

Levin pug diesels - enough said! :D

tossy wrote: »

Levin pug diesels - enough said! :D

lmao!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Cheers lads for the help.

Also while im trigging my tractor up, where would I get a good deal on a set of 17" Audi RS4(new model) wheels (with tyres)?

There are a few websites that do good deals

rochford tyres now known as http://www.alloywheels.com/ are one,i would stay away from reps though my last wheels were reps and never again,try ebay.co.uk for 17" cupra/GTI/Octavia VRs wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I don't think you can put a dump valve on a diesel without seriously affecting performance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tdikeith

hey, i have a mondeo tdi. am i right in saying dump valve doesnt work on a diesel as no vaccuum on a diesel motor whereas there is on a petrol.
    i wanted that sound but most dump valve kits are electronic or work off a mechanical sensor on the throttle for diesel.
    i tried a pipercross panel filter and noticed no difference at all, waste of money.
    then i bought a K+N cone filter and it sounds gruntier and pulls ever so slightly better.
    also, plant the right foot and let it go and the boost vents to atmosphere with no air box to kill sound so you do in fact get the PSSSST sound on gear changes (just not for the same reason as the petrol ones)

Advertisement