Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on a mountain bike

Options
  • 01-01-2008 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I do a lot of cycling on a Trek 1200.
    I'd to get into mountain biking also and I've searched all the past threads for info.
    I know a good bit about racing bikes but very little about mountain bikes.

Budget is around €400 but could possibly stretch slightly over.
    I've searched around and this seems a good option, any comments? :)

Giant Yukon

products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3074&z=2429

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

micmclo wrote: »
    I do a lot of cycling on a Trek 1200.
    I'd to get into mountain biking also and I've searched all the past threads for info.
    I know a good bit about racing bikes but very little about mountain bikes.

Budget is around €400 but could possibly stretch slightly over.
    I've searched around and this seems a good option, any comments? :)

Giant Yukon

products.php?plid=m1b0s2p3074&z=2429

that bike has a very similar spec to a carrera vulcan, which was e300 the last time i saw it.
    if you could stretch a bit more id strongly reccomend a kona hoss 07 which can be picked up for around e600 at the moment.
    i think GT do a XC.2 for 450 or so too.
    spend as much now as possible, especially with sales, as you will get a great bike for little money, no point in upgrading forks etc in 3 months.

kona hoss

Carrera Vulcan

GT XC2

the 08 xc2 is a poor spec compared to the 07, the 07 has rock shox and complete deore gear system

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Would 22" (the Hoss) be too big for a 6ft rider? I'm 58cm in road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Yes, 22" would be way too big. I ride a 58" road bike too and my mtb is 19" or so.

The Kona Hoss is a very chunky bike, intended for the heavier rider. Grand if that's what you're after but a bit too heavy for an XC bike otherwise.

Consider the Specialized Hardrock too. Have a look in Cycleogical, The Cycle Superstore and Cycleways. Even if you don't buy there they have loads of bikes on display to see what you like the look of.

Advertisement