Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of Tesco Mobile's Pricing Policy

Options
  • 01-01-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I recently swallowed the bait from Tesco Mobile with their advertised 20c per minute 24 hour rate after buying one of their prepay phones. I thought this could be cheaper than O2’s 26 cent, but I was soon in for a nasty shock after checking my credit balance.

A minimum 20c/ min charge applies, and it is only after one minute that per second billing applies. You still pay for one full minute for every fraction of the first minute. I only found this information the T&Cs and not in the nice and friendly ‘Welcome’ leaflets. Fair dues to O2 in that they always charged me by the second without these hidden catches.

I find, since I make a lot of short calls, that the effective rate, for instance, for a 20 second call will be 60 cents per minute, not 20 cents.

I have that nasty feeling of having been misled and ripped off. Something should be done about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

drednawt wrote: »
    I only found this information the T&Cs and not in the nice and friendly ‘Welcome’ leaflets. Fair dues to O2 in that they always charged me by the second without these hidden catches.

In fairness, I think that all the information was there to be read in the T&Cs, which are what you should always read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Meteor offer a near identical rate to tesco mobile without the one minute minimum charge

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone that signs up to things with reading all the T&C's deserve to be done in my books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 drednawt

dudara wrote: »
    In fairness, I think that all the information was there to be read in the T&Cs, which are what you should always read.
    Maybe I should have checked the fine print in the T&Cs in their website first. I still think it was a bit of a fast one though.

Cremo wrote: »
    anyone that signs up to things with reading all the T&C's deserve to be done in my books.
    I signed nothing

• Advertisement

Slice wrote: »
    Meteor offer a near identical rate to tesco mobile without the one minute minimum charge
    Good idea. Once I get the phone unlocked, I'll get a Meteor Sim Pack

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry signed is the wrong word.

how should i put it... entering a contract with a company.

If by contact you mean buying something over the counter on impulse in a busy shop at Christmas. We're not going so split hairs here, are we?

Dumb buy? Perhaps.

But one thing is true. Whatever the phone will be used for: paperweight, bookmark, etc. It will *not* be used to make calls over the Tesco (089) network.

So, who's the real loser here?

Not me

Advertisement