Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January - New PC

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Brando, what will you be using this 3K pc for? Nobody can advise you properly until we know what uses you'll put it to.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Another happy Dell customer here. Sure they have issues which hardcore builders and upgraders won't be happy about, but if you look in the right place you can really get a bargain. I got the following spec in the Summer of 2005:
    Dimension 8400, Pentium 4 HT, 3.6GHz, MiniTower
    Operating System: English - Win XP SP2 Home
    2048MB PC-4200 DUAL CHANNEL (2X1024mb)
    1.44MB Floppy Drive
    500 (2x250mb) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    V.92 Data Fax Modem
    Creative Labs SoundBlaster® Audigy™ 2 Sound Card
    CD/DVD RW Drive + DVD Drive
    256MB Nvidia 6800gto
    Dell 2 Button PS/2 Scroll Mouse
    Dell 2.1 speakers
    Dell Ultrasharp 17" Flatpanel 12ms
    2 Year Warrenty

All for €1,330 inc VAT + delivery

I have had my first hiccup in the last week when my graphics card decided to call it a day, but I had already decided to get a 8800gt which is arriving anyday now. Other than that it has served me very well and only recently has started to show its age in regard to new releases, however the 8800gt will sort that problem out.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

This topic has certainly generated some polarizing views. However I am tending to edge towards a bespoke setup rather than a DELL system. I had initially typed a figure of 2.5K as I assumed the dual monitors would drag me towards the 3K figure, but have since seen some (again polarizing) 22" monitors a few threads below for about 280ea so I think that perhaps 2.5K would be an okay figure for a high specced system.

Usage would be confined to AutoCAD applications with some 3D Max into the mix. Video editing from a MiniDV camcorder. Crisis naturally. Poker (hence 2 screens) and my general haven from the crying kids. I would intend for this rig to last quite some time before it shows its legs and will require dual boot as a lot of my utilities for poker run best on XP.

I currently have a extra 15" LCD which is primarily used as a TV but can double up as an 800x600 second screen when needed. I would like one of the monitors to be able to double as a TV in place of the LCD for those mooching boards moments.

As for the overclocking issue. Although it may be taken from my OP that I will not overclock, I would not be adverse to getting an overclocked system. In reading posts on this forum it appears clear that some components are in a lull and as a result, overclocking more established products give a comparable performance boost whilst saving a few bob. Indeed I have no particular need to spend all of the 2.5-3K and if going the overclocking route would save cash whilst giving a noteworthy system I would be more than happy. What I wont do is try to eek out a few extra 3Dmark points by tweaking this or that over and above the usual driver flash or bios updates. I may upgrade a video card down the line but that would be about it until like my current DELL it begins to mournfully wail with its power supply or throw up increasingly common graphics card artifacts that screams.... let me die!!!!

Advertisement