Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 yr old Gas Boiler - expansion vessel problems, advice ?

Options
  • 01-01-2008 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a Potterton Prima F boiler, which is around 13 years old.
    I believe the lifespan of them is supposed to be around 10 year mark or so.

3 months ago I got a Bord Gais service, and they said the expansion (or is it compression) vessel was faulty. I got this replaced by an independent Gas service company and everything seemed fine. The kitchen radiators had never been right in the 3 years I had the house, and statred working perfectly really heating up like the other rads.

But last week I had the heating on a fair bit, and not sure but thought I heard a bang at one stage. I'm going to call out the company again, but it sounds like the new expansion vessel has blown. ( my guess )

Mainly because the downstairs rads are cold/luke warm, while the upstairs ones are hot. Also the boiler gauge stays at zero.
    The boiler sounded like it was boiling the water real fast, say 45 seconds, then shutting down soon after, and cycling through this behaviour every few mins.

Do ye reckon there's a simple reason for this, or should I bite the bullet and replace the boiler. I paid €300 for last expansion vessel, and really don't want to throw more money at it.

I'm hoping that the new expansion vessel is still under warrantee if that's the problem.

regards,
    Owen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

OMcGovern wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a Potterton Prima F boiler, which is around 13 years old.
    I believe the lifespan of them is supposed to be around 10 year mark or so.

3 months ago I got a Bord Gais service, and they said the expansion (or is it compression) vessel was faulty. I got this replaced by an independent Gas service company and everything seemed fine. The kitchen radiators had never been right in the 3 years I had the house, and statred working perfectly really heating up like the other rads.

But last week I had the heating on a fair bit, and not sure but thought I heard a bang at one stage. I'm going to call out the company again, but it sounds like the new expansion vessel has blown. ( my guess )

Mainly because the downstairs rads are cold/luke warm, while the upstairs ones are hot. Also the boiler gauge stays at zero.
    The boiler sounded like it was boiling the water real fast, say 45 seconds, then shutting down soon after, and cycling through this behaviour every few mins.

Do ye reckon there's a simple reason for this, or should I bite the bullet and replace the boiler. I paid €300 for last expansion vessel, and really don't want to throw more money at it.

I'm hoping that the new expansion vessel is still under warrantee if that's the problem.

regards,
    Owen

I doubt the vessel is your problem ,you should call the installer out again .
    Don't try anything yourself ,your entitled to call the plumber back.

There might be a reason for your old vessel to have gone in the first place ,but vessels don't go so soon (your new one),even if there is something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Cheers for the reply Brian, all comments are much appreciated.

I'm just trying to arm myself with information before calling the engineer back.

thanks,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

OMcGovern wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply Brian, all comments are much appreciated.

I'm just trying to arm myself with information before calling the engineer back.

thanks,
    Owen

The capacitor on the circulating pump sometimes goes with a bang and a really bad smell. See if the capacitor has blown apart and if there is a smell around the pump. That could be why you have no heat downstairs - no circulation !
    Jim.

Advertisement