Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Muddle :-(

Options
  • 01-01-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am upgrading my monitor soon and Im stuck with a decision on which avenue to take with regard to the hardware and Im hoping someone here has some feedback that might prove useful.

I am stuck deciding wether or not to get an LCD monitor with built in TV tuner or just get a standard LCD monitor and a seperate breakout box (e.g Avermedia). I will mostly use the monitor for computer stuff (no gaming) and also for watching DVD's on as it will be in my room but I was hoping I could use this to view Sky on too. Does anyone have an LCD monitor with a built in tuner? If so what are their experiences?

Does anyone know if I can even use the analogue tuner built into the LCD monitors for watching Sky? :confused:

The supported resolution specs for Avermedia and similar devices don't seem to impressive and the only advantage I can see with them is the ability to take in a signal from Co-ax and display it without needing the TV switched on.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

TV monitors have all the gubbins to connect to anything. Remember that you can't do both (watch TV and use your computer) at the same time unless you have a tuner card in your PC as well.

Watching TV as I type this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi RRPC,

Cheers for the feedback, I have a Mac Mini which from what I've been researching severely limits my options for tuner cards and Im finding it hard to turn up info on if it works with Sky and how I can connect it up so I might put it on the back burner for a while.

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

rrpc wrote: »
    TV monitors have all the gubbins to connect to anything. Remember that you can't do both (watch TV and use your computer) at the same time unless you have a tuner card in your PC as well.

Watching TV as I type this :D

What you mean you cant do both. I have and can supply monitors/TV's which you can do both, its called picture in picture (pip for short). You can watch tv either by splitting the screen in 2 and watch both side by side or else layer one on top of the other in the bottom right of screen, you can alter the sound from each input aswell.

I watch tv or a dvd on the bottom right of the screen while I'm working with programming and such.

So to answer the OPs question, what ever you're budget will allow you to stretch to, go for it. Nothing wrong with watching tv while browsing the internet, (not a good idea while you're gaming though).

Advertisement