Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need an earth rod?

• 01-01-2008 10:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house, and looking at the wiring, and the earth seems to be connected to the neutral coming in from the road. Is this standard these days? I have what looks like an earth connection also, but on a 2.5mm wire, and it looks very old. was thinking of putting in a new earth rod, but is it necessary?

thanks,
    Justin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I can't really answer that as there seem to be plenty of real sparks around:D but can you clarify "new"; is that a brand new recently wired house or second user new to you;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

sorry. old house - 1930's - and it looks like the wiring is from the 1930's too. Although there's some recient additions - including the new connection from the incoming neutral to the earth connection on the board.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moved from G/DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

just get it looked at first by an electrician before you do anything

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

The earth shouldn't be sourced from the neutral inside your house as that could lead to serious problems. (In the result of a broken neutral, all your earthed devices could rise to near live potential.) So the longer the two remain seperated the better. Having said this, your situation could well have been the common practice at the time. Like davelerave said, get it checked out before doing anything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

First off, I have not seen you house, so I am making assumptions here.
    and it looks like the wiring is from the 1930's too
    If this statement is correct your house needs to be rewired. It sounds as though your cables would not even have PVC insulation.
    earth seems to be connected to the neutral coming in from the road

TNCS are the most common type of earthing system in Ireland. With this arrangement the earth is "neautralised" by connecting it to the neutral at a special point near the ESB meter.
    I have what looks like an earth connection also, but on a 2.5mm wire

It sounds like you are saying that a 2.5 is going from the earth bar to an earth rod. This was normal in the old days. Now it should be a 10 square earth cable to the earth rod.

The earth shouldn't be sourced from the neutral inside your house

You may well find that because it is an old house the ESB meter is inside the house, therefore the earth is neutralised inside the house, not in the meter box outside.

IMHO you need a qualified electrician to check the wiring for you.

I imagine you have no RCD or MCBs, the RCD in particular is very important from a safety point of view. Many cables may be undersized. If the cables have not got PVC insulation and are the old rubber type you really need a rewire.

Get a qualified opinion. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the earthrod will keep the touch voltage down if you get a break in the esb neutral or more likely a bad connection .not very likely with newer supplies underground but it happens a bit in rural areas anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

jdpl28 wrote: »
    sorry. old house - 1930's - and it looks like the wiring is from the 1930's too. Although there's some recient additions - including the new connection from the incoming neutral to the earth connection on the board.

If the wiring is that old, there's a very good chance that what ever earths are in the house are connected to your incoming water supply pipe work or even a gas pipe.

What does the earth wire look like coming up to your board? if is pre 1970s it will probably just be like a braided cable, usually with no insulation.

Many old installations (<1970) did not have earths installed, or if they did they were earthed to the nearest water pipe ect...

If you took a few pics, some of the lads here might be able to advise how much work your looking at...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Our old house - 1950 construction - had the earth connected across the neutral in a powerpoint in the kitchen that was also the main switch for the cooker !

In OP's set up would a polarity reversal in the supply - a rare event I know - make everything live that was previously earthed or thought to be earthed ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 actionman85

50% of houses in ireland have this as common procedure. Dont panic its ok,All old houses have live neutral commng into their houses with no earth! Its a neutralised earth link thats taken inside th house. But you do want rcd's and possible board upgrade. i can recommend someone if you like, got the same done in mine

• Advertisement
Advertisement