Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

engine transplant

Options
  • 01-01-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My gf has a 98 1.3 lancer glx. It really is a slow car so we are debating whether to keep it or get soneone like IVI to stick a 1.6 glxi lancer engine into it instead of going through all the crap of selling a car and buying a new one etc etc.

Do you think a garage would have much difficulty in doing this? Mounting points are the same on the 1.3 and 1.6 engine and gearbox is the same also so theres no excuse for not being able to do it really. It would be handy for us to do this..

Thanks,

Tomas

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

actually fitting the engine isnt the problem, its wiring the ECU into your car as yours is different to the 1.6 one. then theres the question of weather the drive shafts,hubs ect are the same as the 1.3., the job should cost about 250-300ish to get the engine fitted but it really depends on the other work needed before you could get an estimate on a complete price., I took one of those 1.3 engines out recently, theres nothing in them really.,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

do they share the same block???
    i mean is the 1.6 just a over bored 1.3??
    if they are different it could affect the weight balance, and put too much weight on the front which will affect handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I did a good bit of research on the net and as far as I can see the general mechanicals of the 1.3glx are identical to the 1.6glxi. It's just a larger cc. Gearbox, brakes, hubs,drive shafts have the same part numbers.

I understand the ecu would have to be changed, not to much of an issue replacing the ecu if the wiring loom is the same. I cannot imagine the wiring loom would be any differant really.

Isnt the GLXi a twin cam though? I havent seen one for a few years though i think the gearbox is on the other side of the engine too.,

1.6 is a SOHC and the gearbox is on the same side also..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You would have to declare these changes to both the VRO and also to your insucance company. I suspect your insurance company will levy it higher than an original 1.6.

kbannon wrote: »
    You would have to declare these changes to both the VRO and also to your insucance company. I suspect your insurance company will levy it higher than an original 1.6.

Ye we are prepared to follow the correct procedure..It's her car and she wants everything legit as so to speak otherwise she wont do it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

mondeo wrote: »
    Ye we are prepared to follow the correct procedure..It's her car and she wants everything legit as so to speak otherwise she wont do it at all.

buying a new car = excitement + fun..

Tell the bitch to cop on man! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'd say don't bother, and just buy a quicker car.

Propably cheaper and easier in the long run...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

ianobrien wrote: »
    I'd say don't bother, and just buy a quicker car.

Propably cheaper and easier in the long run...

QFT

Sometimes, cars are never right after that kind of surgery.

Plus, having to explain why a car doesn't have it's original engine to a prospective buyer is often an uphill struggle.

If you were determined to do this, getting a written off one and swapping everything over is what my mechanic loves doing to cars for himself, but the clue is right there- he's a mechanic who does it to his own cars.

If there's a bit of a girl-racer in her, maybe she could get a 1.6 mivec. I think there's a 1.8 4WD which might be a turbo and it might be called a GSR but I'n no expert on these.

• Advertisement

She's not a girl racer at all. She will probably sell it and she seen a 1.5dohc lancer for sale which i'm sure would be a fair bit quicker to say the least.

have to say, those 1.3s are stupidly slow though, even in the colt chassis which should make the whole thing lighter and quicker.,
    I reckon the job would cost you more than the cars value to be honest, when you think about the price of the 1.6 engine and ancillarys, ECU, Gearbox (as the ratios are likey to be different even if fitment is the same), labour costs etc, into a car thats maybe worth 1800quid?.,

Ye your probably right there.... we may just flog it and find somthing entirely differant with bigger engine.

get her a civic., more reliable, better looking and more powerful., :D

vtec wrote: »
    get her a civic., more reliable, better looking and more powerful., :D

I had 2 civics, lancer looks just aswell I think. Depends what you do to them:rolleyes:

Advertisement