Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis

Options
  • 01-01-2008 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Well whats your opinion? There was a thread on here a while ago about the most over rated bands and Oasis scored pretty highly on the over ratedness scale, which I suppose is understandable, if your not into that kind of music.

But I was surprised by some of the comments posted regarding them, one being something along the lines of "are Lilly Allen and Kate Nash the Oasis of the 00's" which was just a bizare comparison to make in my eyes, being in completely different leagues in terms of musical abilty. Someone else said they hated them because all their songs sounded the exact same and they were all equally terrible, which I couldn't disagree more with, I mean all their songs do have similarities and a similar kind of feel to them like with the vast majority of musicians but personal musical tastes considered I can't understand how any one could claim all their songs are terrible when judged against 90% of the music that was around in thier hayday and since.

Anyways i was just wondering if this was the general consensus amongst people on here or are the anti-oasis people just more vocal in thier opinions? So heres to obligatory poll.

Oasis. Good or Bad? 36 votes

Good
    0% 0 votes
    Bad
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

There ok when Noel sings, with the highlights being the fantasic Little by Little and there greatest song, Don't Look Back in Anger. But the Liam sung songs are unbearable- if I hear Wonderwall one more time, I swear.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

in my books they had two fairly decent albums then just turned to dirt.

much like weezer sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Yeah over-rated simply because of the massive adulation they got.

Don't get me wrong, Definitely Maybe is a great album and Supersonic is a fcuking great choon.
    They had a couple of decent songs from their subsequent albums alright but I definitely think they were over-rated for what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I like a lot of the earlier stuff. More of the later songs are **** though.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I like a lot of the earlier stuff. More of the later songs are **** though.
    I agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Have to agree again early stuff good; later stuff bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

where's the option for 'great'? ;)

i've yet to come across a greater anthems band than Oasis since those heavy days in the mid 90's, they're never going to be of the creative genius like Radiohead but they do what they do their own way better than most bands out there

sure Be Here Now, SOTSOG were, well sh!t, Heathen Chemistry was pretty underrated IMO but very few people had anything bad to say about Don't Believe The Truth which was unquestionably their best album in 10 years so there's plenty of life in the old dog yet!

roll on the summer for their new album (and hopefully a tour here)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Sh1te - always have been (IMO anyway)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

All the people, so many people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I really like Be here Now, don't understand why people hate it so much. For me,4 great albums, the first 4, 1 of the worst albums I've ever heard and the worst one I own in SOTSOG,1 bad album and 1 good album, the last 2 respectively. Therefore good

Oasis>Blur

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

As alot of people have already said.
    I think their earlier stuff was great but after that they went to ****, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Overrated maybe, but mainly because of the silly hype that surrounded them. Musically they (well, Noel) did write some good songs. Some Might Say, Supersonic, Slide Away, Live Forever, Talk Tonight, Little By Little, Champagne Supernova etc are better songs than most of the sh1te that's being peddled now by their present day equivalent, the likes of Razorlight, the crap Kaiser Chiefs and the completely overrated Franz Ferdinand. They faded away after the first 2 or 3 albums but then so do alot of bands. The hunger and drive that gives a band an edge in the first place is obviously diminished a bit when the millions start rolling in. They get rich and lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oasis were the first band I ever really got into when Definitely Maybe came out. How anyone can say they're crap is laughable.

If a band can produce an album of B sides that is better than 99% of full albums produced it shows their talent.

Oh and my favourite song would be 'Let's All Make Believe'. It was B side to 'Go Let It Out'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUeeHSmG124

If you haven't heard it then enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

great band, slipped off in over the last few albums but still have good songs here and there (recent song choices for singles have been awful though).

first 2 albums were 2 of the greatest and most important albums of the 90's.

the band helped define a generation.

i still think BHN is a fantastic album. reflects everything oasis in their earlier years represented, especially at the time it was released.

i can completely understand people not liking them.

i also love Blur and Pulp and really don't see why they're always compared, as they were very very different bands.

anyone who says "beatles tributes" or similar is talking complete and utter bollox and usually doesn' know anything past the first 2 albums and a handful of other songs.

anyone who says "all their songs sound the same" is a complete and utter moron, who clearly hasn't even heard half the oasis singles let alone the b-sides or album tracks. please nobody say this, in fact, i'll just prove you wrong right now: Headshrinker, Idlers Dream, Married With Children, Talk Tonight, I Can See It Now, Shout It Out Loud, Gas Panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Where's the 'meh' option?

They're like drinking too much.

Enjoyable and perfectly appropriate at the time; slightly embarrassing and regrettable in hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I could never stand them tbh , musically they are a garage band(noel should never attempt a guitar solo....ugh) , and i know people who met them in person and to be polite they are a bunch of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I don't know, it's obvious Noel will never be as technically gifted as some lead guitarists out there, but alot of the solos he writes and plays fit with laser point precision into the song they are played in, anything more would be overkill. Good melodic solos to go with good melodic songs, I personally can't stomach alot of the (usually metal bands) guitarists with their completely 100% interchangeable, "wow look how fast i can play a bunch of notes up and down the fretboard which may aswell be completely fukking random for all that they add to the song" solos. Always reminds me of (usually pop-RnB) singers that think they have to thrill and travel up and down the octaves on every single note they sing, it's probably technically more difficult than just sounded out a sngle note for a single word, but it sounds terrible and adds nothing. Now I'm sure that they could play any Oasis solo perfectly after hearing it once if they wanted to, but they don't, and I'm sure Van Gough could have painted a whole orchestra playing in the fore ground of Cherry Tree if he had wanted to but it wouldn't have added anything to it. Sometimes perfectly apt and suited simplicity is infinately better than showy technical butchery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

i voted good idont like all their stuff but i wouldnt class them as a bad band

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mobro5

oasis are a great band,no doubt about it.Why?Well the were an era-defining band just like nirvana,sex pistols,black sabbath,led zeppelin,the beatles,jimi hendrix,david bowie,the who,bob dylan,pink floyd etc, who came before them.Although noel gallagher isnt the best guitarist techically-he struck the same chord with the public as kurt cobain,david bowie, or john lennon did.thats what makes oasis or any band great and its called INSPIRATION.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

stovelid wrote: »
    Where's the 'meh' option?

They're like drinking too much.

Enjoyable and perfectly appropriate at the time; slightly embarrassing and regrettable in hindsight.

Lovely stuff!

Definitely Maybe was a brilliant record when it came out. The filthy feedback at the beginning of the likes of Slide Away was a wake up call to a generation. Unfortunately, some of that generation was Hard Fi.

Married With Children is just lovely. But after that album as a songwriter Noel Gallagher was spent. He hasn't produced a bit of magic since, bar a few tracks on Morning Glory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Very average band overall.

A handful of good songs, a lot of average ones and a lot of crap too.

Fortunately for them, they tapped into a mid 90s zeitgeist & they have/had a loutish, rousing appeal I suppose - but they're hugely overrated IMHO.

At their best, they're like a more sophisticated Slade with added emotion but at their worst, they sound like a 'songs by numbers' pub band with better production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

the band helped define a generation.

*PUKES*

Advertisement