Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

k800i and other questions.

• 01-01-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭

I have heard this phone is excellent and has a great camera and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on it and where to buy it.

I am on meteor pay as you go and it is handy for the free texts but I have been looking at gettin rid of my 6230i as it is annoying me and I want to get somethin that has a good camera and other good features. I was lookin at the n95 as well but I dont know if I can even take advantage of the features of it due to being on meteor. If someone could let me know about that it would be greaat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I have heard this phone is excellent and has a great camera and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on it and where to buy it.

I am on meteor pay as you go and it is handy for the free texts but I have been looking at gettin rid of my 6230i as it is annoying me and I want to get somethin that has a good camera and other good features. I was lookin at the n95 as well but I dont know if I can even take advantage of the features of it due to being on meteor. If someone could let me know about that it would be greaat.

Hi dunno what that phone is like to live with but it's a nice phone and was thinking of getting it meself, found this site that rates phones and gives user reviews which might be of help to u.

http://www.yourmobilephonereviews.co.uk/mobile_phone_reviews_uk.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

hey Dave grohl :p

got the k800i just before xmas.

I like it tbh. It's quite big though...had the same nokia as you before hand. the camera rocks and the phone software supplied is pretty good too.

took me a while to get used to the menu though...but I'd recommend it.

Lemme know if you want some samples of pics I took and i'll send ye a link.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think the k800i is the best phone I've ever used ( til I got my iPhone there at xmas).

It has the easiest to use interface and the support from the SE website is pretty fantastic too, should you ever accidentally delete settings ( I have accidentally deleted settings).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have a k800i as well and I absolutely love it. As said above, very easy to figure your way around, and the camera/video capabilities are pretty good too. I've also written software that works just fine on the phone too. Get a 1Gb memory card for it and away you go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

cool, anyone know the best place to get one that I can use with meteor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

i have the phone for about a year now. I think its very good the joystick is getting a bit sticky now but other than that it is a very good phone.

the joystick is the only thing that is worrying me about this phone. I am still going to go buy tmorrow, I know a guy in o2 so im hoping he can get me an unlock code. if not i have been recommended fm mobile on georges st. he quoted me 20 euro but i know that would involve cables and stuff. a code to unlock would be a lot handier.

does unlocking void the warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

You weren't in looking for advice on how to get the k800i unlocked in a grafton street phone shop today by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Have one two - loving it.

Only flaw I've found is there seems to be a tad of a delay in phone conversations - people can't hear me for the first few seconds. Could be my phone though.

neilled wrote: »
    You weren't in looking for advice on how to get the k800i unlocked in a grafton street phone shop today by any chance?
    i might have been. am I being watched?!?! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I've had the phone for about 17 months. The joystick has given me problems 3 or 4 times (stops working properly in one direction or something). Using some compressed air on it sorts it out again. Really great phone, camera takes decent photos, crystal clear screen, good for videos/music.

Would like if the videos it takes were higher resolution, but otherwise I've no complaints

very grateful for everyones thoughts and recommendations. hopefully ill be the owner of a kcik ass new phone tomorrow.

oh one last question.... how often do you guys have to charge it? one reason Ive been put off the n95 is becuase three people I know who have it have to charge it daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

About once every 3 days or so. That takes in constant texting/camera use and using the bluetooth in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

The charge on mine is pretty brutal (1-1.5 days maybe 2 at a stretch, but i would be a heavy phone user) but i would not hold it against the phone when i go on holidays i just use the camera on it!

The joystick is a strange though randomly opens stuff when in the menus and just trying to scroll down

Still a thumbs up for the phone though :D

i might have been. am I being watched?!?! :p

I got asked the same question today in work by a chap who was wielding a 6230 or 6230i that looked like it had been in the wars. Coincidental, thats all!

Re battery life - expect two to three days for a light to average user - same with any phone with a high res screen. Having said that I used to charge every night - just plugged it in and set the relevant alarm. Switch your handset to gsm only to get better battery life. One of the things you'll find with the k800 is that using the web is quite heavy on battery life as you've the screen on all the time.

ah yea it was me. bought it in your shop today and wandered down the road to o2 and just asked could he get me an unlock code and two minuted later I was using my meteor sim in it.

I assume the fact im on meteor means I can use the phone's full features, ie the 3g stuff(not that I have a notion what it is). Is there anything else im missing out on?

Glad your buddy was able to sort that out for ya - they wouldn't budge for me when i worked for them! 3g features would be video calling and the ability to download and upload data at faster speeds. Being on meteor, this won't really effect you so go to the networks part of your phone and switch 3g off.

Enjoy your new phone, the k800 is a classic.

i didnt even know the guy who sorted it out. I didnt go to the shop he worked in. i went to the one beside subway and just asked was it possible to get it unlocked, he looked on the pc for about 2 minutes and BAM! It was done. I was really suprised but very grateful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

fantastic phone - had it around a year and a half now.
    The camera is brilliant, and flash works a charm. Get yourself a 1GB card, as you will use it a lot!
    Charge life was excellent during first year. Battery seems to have worn a bit, but I'd still get around 2 days out of it (heavy enough use).
    The camera will zap the battery, so make sure you have the lens cover nice n secure... sometimes in can come open in a pair of jeans.
    Overall, best phone I've ever owned.
    Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Is there any cool things/apps that i can download to my k800?

I feel like messing around

does it matter that I have not charged it yet? I turned it on after I bought it and its nearing its battery life now. is it cool to just charge it now or have I gone about it the wrong way?

i didnt even know the guy who sorted it out. I didnt go to the shop he worked in. i went to the one beside subway and just asked was it possible to get it unlocked, he looked on the pc for about 2 minutes and BAM! It was done. I was really suprised but very grateful

That an interesting deviation from the usual company policy of having to spend over a certain amount to have the handset unlocked and normally you had to call up to get the unlocking code. I'm going to have to investigate this!

Sligo - I'd suggest a number of downloads.

For checking news/headlines have a look at squace from squace.com
    for email the gmail app - gmail.com/app
    msn/aol/yahoo messengers - get.ebuddy.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Is there any cool things/apps that i can download to my k800?

I feel like messing around

http://forums.se-nse.net/index.php?showtopic=12658&st=0
    you could start by look at the above forums.

my new favourate apps are, kd player (skinable mp3 player), video maniac (video player, slightly better than built in video player), and i changed the default icons with xs++ program (bit tricky)

tequilacat nice ebook reader (need to convert books first)
    http://tequilacat.org/dev/br/index-en.html

lots of games about

good suduko game
    http://www.getjar.com/products/4320/5ud0kuaSudokuMidlet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

eolhc wrote: »
    http://forums.se-nse.net/index.php?showtopic=12658&st=0
    you could start by look at the above forums.

my new favourate apps are, kd player (skinable mp3 player), video maniac (video player, slightly better than built in video player), and i changed the default icons with xs++ program (bit tricky)

tequilacat nice ebook reader (need to convert books first)
    http://tequilacat.org/dev/br/index-en.html

lots of games about

good suduko game
    http://www.getjar.com/products/4320/5ud0kuaSudokuMidlet

Whopper!

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

does it matter that I have not charged it yet? I turned it on after I bought it and its nearing its battery life now. is it cool to just charge it now or have I gone about it the wrong way?
    Batteries these days are never supposed to be run completely flat, because that can massively reduce their capacity (ever wondered why your 4 month old phone's battery life sucks?). The phones / devices will usually power themselves off before any damage can be done but it's best to keep the batteries topped up.

I'm surprised phone manufacturers don't make a big point of this in their manuals, considering how much of a point they used to make when the batteries had to be fully discharged to avoid the "memory effect"

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I got this phone at Christmas and it is indeed a cracker. THe only drawback on it, and it is only a small one, is the lack of the "single beep" ringtone. There is one of these on Nokia phones where the phone just beeps once.....I have been searching the web for one of these for the K800i but can't find one.

Anyone here found/have one?

Advertisement