Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PL/SQL connumdrum

Options
  • 02-01-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

my exams are looming and just trying to do some exam papers here and have come across a question i'm having difficulty with.

i've attached an ERD schema below.

basically the question is this...

Write a PL/SQL procedure to take a borrower Id and an ISBN and issue number and add a book loan, giving the loan date as today, leaving the return date as null. Assume that there is already a ‘before insert’ trigger on the loan table to prevent the borrower from borrowing more than the maximum number of books. If the borrower or issue number doesn’t exist, write an appropriate error to the serveroutput.

right so it's easy enough to get a loan inserted into the Loan table without error checking.

here's what i've got so far
    DECLARE

--these three var's are the ones to store the input 
        --from keyboard from the user.

b_id    Loan.BorrowerId%TYPE:=b_id;
        isbn    Loan.ISBN%TYPE:=isbn;
        iss_no  Loan.IssueNo%TYPE:=iss_no;

--exceptions
        bid_not_found    exception;

BEGIN

--obviously this here is where i'd check to see if the borrower id that is
        --inputted from the user is in the borrower table, if not i would raise
        --that bid_not_fount exception which i can write no problems.

--i'd have to do the same for the issue number as well.

INSERT INTO Loan VALUES(isbn, iss_no, SYSDATE, b_id, NULL);

COMMIT;

EXCEPTION

WHEN NO_DATA_FOUND THEN
                DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('No data was found.');
                ROLLBACK WORK;

WHEN OTHERS THEN
                DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Unexpected error occurred.');
                            ROLLBACK WORK;

END;

i don't know how to effective loop through the borrowerId's in the borrower table to check it against the borrowerId that is inputted from the user's keyboard.

anyone have any hints on how i'd go about doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I know absolutely nothing about that code but since SQL isn't procedural you can just do a query to check if it exists?

Something like
    if (SELECT count(*) FROM Borrower WHERE BorrowerID = 'b_id') == 1
    then throw exception?

Obviously that code does nothing on any language, but i'am sure you can work out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I haven't looked at this in detail, but here are some minor points:

The code above is an anonymous block of PL/SQL as opposed to a procedure. Not sure if you are aware of the difference, but I would put a procedure declaration at the start, with the input parameters b_id, ISBN and issue_no.

Then you can check if b_id exists in the Borrower table. If it does, then do the insert, otherwise throw the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I know absolutely nothing about that code but since SQL isn't procedural you can just do a query to check if it exists?

Something like
    if (SELECT count(*) FROM Borrower WHERE BorrowerID = 'b_id') == 1
    then throw exception?

Obviously that code does nothing on any language, but i'am sure you can work out from there.

ahh ya legend, this has put me on to the right track.
    tom dunne wrote: »
    I haven't looked at this in detail, but here are some minor points:

The code above is an anonymous block of PL/SQL as opposed to a procedure. Not sure if you are aware of the difference, but I would put a procedure declaration at the start, with the input parameters b_id, ISBN and issue_no.

Then you can check if b_id exists in the Borrower table. If it does, then do the insert, otherwise throw the exception.

erm oops i guess when a lecturer says to always read the question fully, i guess that part didn't get through to me. didn't see that it had to be a procedure, all's changed now.

thanks guys for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

No Probs, only glad I was of some help :)

Advertisement