Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Media & Performance Technology

Options
  • 02-01-2008 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Having real trouble deciding whether to do this course or music technology in lit or something completely different...i mean :eek: really bothering me
    Can some of you most excellently educated ULers give me advise on why i should or shouldnt do this course?what it takes to be successful at it?and how things go when youve qualified?
    please
    and cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 corbo

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,929 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Starr, we meet again.

Basically, I'm having the same problem Starr is having...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

corbo wrote: »

Heya, I'm also in the same boat as the other 2 posters with regards to this course. Could you tell me what exactly you get at the end of the course? I've heard it described as musics equiv of an arts degree... that your options afterwards are too broad and basically you've haven't anything concrete like sound engineer anything like that!! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

deise_boi wrote: »
    Heya, I'm also in the same boat as the other 2 posters with regards to this course. Could you tell me what exactly you get at the end of the course? I've heard it described as musics equiv of an arts degree... that your options afterwards are too broad and basically you've haven't anything concrete like sound engineer anything like that!! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Well in the prospectus, it says you can become a sound engineer...That's what I wanna be...

Oh and what about Co-Op? The other tread reminded me of it.
    I would love to go to Belgium or Scandanavia or America...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

mars bar, it a pleasure

corbo, thanks a mil.hearing this stuff really really helps....

ive always wanted to so something is this line but (and you prob wont believe this but hey) after the kings of leon gig in november i met the band and hung with their roadies at their hotel- lighting guys, sound technician etc - they were really interesting and i got a lot of feedback of what its like for real on the road and stuff and basically THATS what i want to do.....sound technician for bands :D.i know obviously it wont be that easy but i'm gonna work my way up *que encouragment!* jk

starr0409 wrote: »
    mars bar, it a pleasure

corbo, thanks a mil.hearing this stuff really really helps....

ive always wanted to so something is this line but (and you prob wont believe this but hey) after the kings of leon gig in november i met the band and hung with their roadies at their hotel- lighting guys, sound technician etc - they were really interesting and i got a lot of feedback of what its like for real on the road and stuff and basically THATS what i want to do.....sound technician for bands :D.i know obviously it wont be that easy but i'm gonna work my way up *que encouragment!* jk

Wow Starr! We have so much in common, only I didn't meet Kings Of Leon...
    Thanks Corbo, that's great info!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Cheers, thanks for the help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hen-Roc

Was looking at putting this course on my CAO. I am a Hip-Hop DJ and I'm used to working with programs such as Adobe Audition, Reason and Serato as far as mixing and production go. I'm very interested in the production side of music but I don't play any instrument.
    It seems like a very interesting course but would it be mostly for people who are looking to getting into the performance side of things or could somebody with my interests gain from this course??

Any help appreciated!

• Advertisement

Ha! Deadly...can't wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i only say two things to people who are considering a course like this and they are

you will love the course if you have an interest in music and technology

you will not have a career in the industry when you finish the course like someone doing an accounting degree or an engineering degree will.

you have just as much chance if not more of becoming a sound engineer for example if you use all the money, you would spend going to and living in college, on recording gear and advertising yourself to your local(and not so local) bands and recording everything and anything you can in as many different ways as you can. i would say the same if you want to be a dj.

however as long as you dont go in with dillusions of coming out with a good job then you will not regret this course

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

best advice yet!cheers!

Thanks...I know I really want to be a sound engineer.
    There is 2-3 recording studios in my town and the guys in two of them knows what I want to do and have said they'd help me so i'm thinking of going out during the summer and have some experience before I go in to the course...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

mars bar wrote: »
    Thanks...I know I really want to be a sound engineer.
    There is 2-3 recording studios in my town and the guys in two of them knows what I want to do and have said they'd help me so i'm thinking of going out during the summer and have some experience before I go in to the course...

if they are money making studios you should jump at the chance to work with them if you can i know studio owners who get more letters asking do they need an assistant than they do asking to hire the studio

Well the studio in my town is Sun Street Studios and has a reputation because that's where the Saw Doctors started out so they get a good bit of business...

Advertisement