Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When must you apply the handbrake in the test?

Options
  • 02-01-2008 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Is it necessary when stopped at all junctions or just on a hill?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

DRice wrote: »
    Is it necessary when stopped at all junctions or just on a hill?

It depends, if you're going to be waiting for any amount of time at a junction you can pop on the hand brake and put the car into neutral, it gives you a chance to relax a bit. And obviously when parking and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

I know but do you lose any marks for not applying the handbrake? its much easier i think just to shift into first and leave it at that until you can move off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

My instructors always encouraged me to apply it whenever stopped for an extended period, hill or no hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

ellscurr wrote: »
    My instructors always encouraged me to apply it whenever stopped for an extended period, hill or no hill.

Same here. If you're gonna be stood still for a bit, go neutral and use the handbrake. Give your legs a break. The habit will be useful if you ever drive a car with a heavy clutch.

Just don't do it if you're first at a set of lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

I have always been told the same. Esspecially at pedestrian crossings. My instructor drilled that into me. Although brake and then nuetral I was told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

You have to apply it on a stop on a hill / unlevel ground (or you may be faulted) but otherwise you dont need to but it is wise to do it if you will be in traffic for a while and you're not first at the lights. (and even if first at the lights if they wont change for a while you can secure the car with the handbrake and look for the other lights to go red so you know you will get green soon and be ready to go into first).

I think its bad for the clutch to stay in first at every stop - you are supposed to stay in neutral to protect your clutch. (but maybe a mechanic / carperson can clarify if this is true)?? but i dont think you would get an X for not using it if youre not on a hill/steep ground. I didnt when I passed my test and I only used it where I though it was uneven ground or Id be stopped for moer than a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

cazzy wrote: »
    I think its bad for the clutch to stay in first at every stop - you are supposed to stay in neutral to protect your clutch. (but maybe a mechanic / carperson can clarify if this is true)??.

I didn't know that, I always put on the handbrake and stay in first but the foot does get awful sore :(

Will start sticking it into neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

cazzy wrote: »
    I think its bad for the clutch to stay in first at every stop - you are supposed to stay in neutral to protect your clutch. (but maybe a mechanic / carperson can clarify if this is true)?
    I'm not a mechanic but when the clutch is fully engaged, the plates are not in contact, so no wear/friction should occur.

The clutch gets worn while it is partially engaged. In this state the two plates slip on each other and wear down the friction material on their surfaces.

This is why using the clutch and accelerator to keep the car stationary on a hill is a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's better not to leave your car in gear when stopped at traffic lights because for one it's a pain if you're stuck in traffic, and 2 it weakens the cable connecting the clutch pedal to the clutch itself. When i did my test (about 2 months ago) i used the hand brake quite a lot, when stopped at stop signs and stuff like that, the examiner didn't even make me do a hill start as a result, as he could see that i let the clutch bite before releasing the handbrake. Both my instructors told me it was good practice to use the handbrake, so i'd say, yes, do use it in your test as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

the examiner didn't even make me do a hill start as a result, as he could see that i let the clutch bite before releasing the handbrake.

I would imagine that letting the clutch bite with the handbrake on when it is unnecessary to do so will definitely wear the clutch plates out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Esm

Hey all..

The only faulting guidelines regarding the use of the handbrake from the Rsa is that you must use it when stopped on any degree of incline. Rolling back incurs a definate "blue" fault under the "Vehicle Controls" heading.
    If you roll back when a car, or pedestrian is behind you this will incur a definate "Pink" (grade 3.. automatic failure).

If you over use the handbrake as regards everytime you come to a stop or in heavy traffic situations you may incur faults under progress (hesitation), this overuse of the handbrake also makes you look a little green as a driver, to which the examiners take a dislike to..

Like other posters have stated , if you want to give your legs a break if your stopped for long periods for instance.. by all means use the handbrake, but from a faulting perspective the only role the handbrake plays is to prevent the car from rolling back.
    Do not "ride" the clutch to have the same effect because you are still caught on the Vehicle Controls section!

Any other information regarding the Driving Test, Fault guidelines, Examiners test Q+A and everything else you will ever need to know folow the links below.. Any help or advice anyone needs dont hesitate to ask us!! , glad to help. Good Luck people!! :)

http://www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/
    http://www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/drivingtests.html
    http://www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/reportprint.pdf
    http://www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/drivingtestquestions.html

.. Esm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Esm wrote: »
    Hey all..

The only faulting guidelines regarding the use of the handbrake from the Rsa is that you must use it when stopped on any degree of incline.
    .. Esm

That is incorrect.

You will also be "faulted", for:-

Not applied during a prolonged stop in traffic,
    Applied before the vehicle has come to a halt
    inadequate application, or
    attempting to drive while the handbrake is still engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

In answer to original question
    When must you apply the handbrake in the test?

When you stop and you would have time to ask yourself:-
    Should I put on the Handbrake
    - you put it on.

It is a safety device and should be used whenever you are stopped for more than a few seconds. Would help to stop the car from being shunted into the junction or into another car. It is not just for hill or incline use.

Information in my previous post comes from
    Driving Fault Marking Guidelines -
    Vehicle Controls

Advertisement