Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image cropping question...

Options
  • 02-01-2008 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I've done my best to find out how to crop images in Gimp or mspaint, not a rectangular crop.

Say I have a soccer club crest and all I want is the image to contain is the crest only. No white borders or anything.

Thanks guys...

Something that sounds so simple but has driven me crazy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

All image files have four corners. To have an irregular shape appear transparent you'll have to create a clipping path for print files or for the web a transparent colored background in a GIF or PNG file. Where is the image going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Post up the crest and I'll do it for you pal

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

Well im just doing some crests for the football manager game that have been left out. and the images i have are grand but they look crap in the game coz of the square border around them. Thanks for the offer of doin it but, id rather know what to do myself. images need to be png. if you could just tell me which tool and or technique is simplest to do/understand. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Filipek

There are a couple ways to do that. In Photoshop: Select Pen tool and Subtract from path area option , then draw path around the crest. Go to paths tab, ctrl+left click on the thumb of the path or right click on the path layer and select make selection, set feather radius to 0 (you will have a selection), click delete -> crop if necessary and save as png. Voila.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

...or just the tragic wand to select the white bit and invert the selection.

Do png files support transparency? Can't you just change the white background to the same colour as the back ground in the game? Just like the Boards.ie logo:
    vbulletin3_logo_white_2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

5uspect wrote: »
    Can't you just change the white background to the same colour as the back ground in the game? Just like the Boards.ie logo:
    vbulletin3_logo_white_2.gif

The backround the logos will be set on are not solid colour. its is a gradual from llight to dark mostly

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

sure then just print screen it and construct a place holder to drop your new images into.

Advertisement