Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The beginnings of rock

• 02-01-2008 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

No one can say for sure who or where did rock exactly start. I would argue that the Kinks could have a claim to the title with the release of 'you really got me' in 1964, discuss!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvyDWGF290M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The King!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Little Richard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Elvis and Little Richard I would class as Rock n Roll, which really is a repackage of Rhythm and Blues imo. Which is all based around 12 bar blues. The kinks however have a riff, a decent solo, and is the template to the Rock sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I think it's pretty much reonised that Ike Turner had the the first Rock and Roll song. Cant think of the name of it. Ill post it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jellikit

Many people say that "rock around the clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets was the first rock song although Ike Turner, who died recently claimed that his song "rocket 88" to be the first true rock song. This was released 3 years before Bill Haleys hit. The first hit record to feature electric guitar was released in 1948 (I think) . The Kinks were probably the first to use that distorted guitar sound that evolved into modern rock and metal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rock is not rock 'n roll, the former is guitar dominated 4/4 the latter is more r 'n b influenced. The first RAWK song was proberbly said Kinks tune.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

'Rocket 88' is the Ike Turner song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Probably is the Kinks, only other I can think of before You really got me is Hards Days Night which may or may not be considered Rock as it lacks the riff but it does have a suitably baroque solo in the middle and the one essential element of rock songs so far unmentioned: Cow Bell!

But considering Satisfaction and My Generation weren't released for a year or so after You really got me I think the Kinks were the first to have all the elements in place on a release anyway. Would be great if someone could come up with an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I can remember some rock historian claiming that the first 'rock' song was Louie Louie.

I remember hearing about Link Wray and being one of the first to use distortion. Just checked this out, its quite funny

Here is Rocket 88

• Advertisement

I can remember some rock historian claiming that the first 'rock' song was Louie Louie.

Yeah, great spot. According to this Ray Davis wrote You really got me while trying to figure out Louie Louie. LL was written in 1955 but the Kingsman version, which I assume is what we're talking about, was released in 63.

Its got most rock elements, the riff, the solo, no cow bell though:( I think its a real contender. It being a cover suppose the Kinks can still claim the first original rock song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

You will find the answer in AC\DC's "Let There Be Rock"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmvTyXyOQZ4

damonjewel wrote: »
    I remember hearing about Link Wray and being one of the first to use distortion. Just checked this out, its quite funny
    Pretty funny, be great if he'd pioneered wah-wah:D
    Here is Rocket 88
    Great song, but its rock n' roll for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I remember hearing about Link Wray and being one of the first to use distortion.

Link Wray literally invented the power chord, and was hugely influential on rock music and guitarists, including Pete Townsend who said:

"He is the king; if it hadn't been for Link Wray and "'Rumble,'" I would have never picked up a guitar."

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Pretty funny, be great if he'd pioneered wah-wah:D

You swine, I now have the Blue ridge mountains of Virginia running through my mind with silly wah notes

wah wah wah wahwahwah wah wha-whaaaa:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Yap Stam

When you think of Lil' Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and others like them you begin to notice how the tail end of Jazz ran into Rock'n'Roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Would Helter Skelter by the Beatles be the first actual Metal Song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 The-Anarchist

galwayrush wrote: »
    Would Helter Skelter by the Beatles be the first actual Metal Song?
    Black Sabbath's debut was the first metal album IMO, and therefore hosted the first metal songs.... Although there was, is and always will be a fine line between peoples opinions on what is rock and metal, heavy metal, thrash etc..... So your opinion is as good as mine

Yap Stam wrote: »
    When you think of Lil' Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and others like them you begin to notice how the tail end of Jazz ran into Rock'n'Roll

Well the tail end of rhythm and blues style jazz did eventually become Rock and Roll e..g shake rattle and roll was a R&B hit before Bill Haley did it. Jazz actually changed direction immensly during the 40's and 50's into bebop jazz and then Cool jazz which bares very little resemblance to Rock and Roll.

I think that Jerry Lee and Lil Richard were probably more influenced by gospel and blues

Black Sabbath's debut was the first metal album IMO, and therefore hosted the first metal songs.... Although there was, is and always will be a fine line between peoples opinions on what is rock and metal, heavy metal, thrash etc..... So your opinion is as good as mine

I would agree that sabs absolutely define the metal sound, some people argue that Iron Butterfly were but I always think that they are a poor mans doors.

As far as the beatles go, I think the single version of Revolution is much more heavier than helter skelter. However if they were to be considered then surely anything from Are you Experienced by Jimi hendrix predates all of this, e.g. Foxy lady

make your own minds up

The beatles Revolution

Here is iron butterfly ina gada da vida(1st half)

Black Sabbath's Black sabbath with 2 minutes of classical noodling to begin with

and jimi's marvellous foxy lady

• Advertisement
Advertisement