Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max safe voltage for Dual cores ??

• 02-01-2008 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the intel specs for a E6850 and it says 1.5V is the max, however im wondering is there anyone here running their dual core on more than 1.5V for a good while?

I briefly ran my E6850 @ 1.55V and it was running fine.... still couldnt get 4ghz stable though..... it was a little bit MORE stable though, id say if i could run @ 1.6V it would be stabel, this chip seems to like the juice :)

Would a dual core burn out quickly @ say 1.6V?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I'd reckon it would still give you a good 5 years, and you would have considered replacing it by then anyway. Just make sure it's properly cooled and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Chosen wrote: »
    I'd reckon it would still give you a good 5 years, and you would have considered replacing it by then anyway. Just make sure it's properly cooled and you will be fine.

well the temps are really low with the chip @ 1.5v, like 35 idle or less
    so temperature is not the issue, however i dont know whether you can blow a c2d @ 1.6V

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

Stay under 1.75v and you'll get at least a year out of it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... at those kind of volts you are looking at electromigration maybe being an issue. What is the temperature flux between idle and load?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    hmm... at those kind of volts you are looking at electromigration maybe being an issue. What is the temperature flux between idle and load?

idles about 30-40 and load about 50-60 depends on room temp.

the cpu and case have ample cooling.

so would 1.6vcore be ok or nay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They say 1.5V for Air, 1.6V for water, but your temps sound good 4 a c2d, I'd not be too bothered.
    I ran a c2d with 1.55V for a full yr with similar temps, stil goin. I probably reduced its lifespan from 5 to 2 yrs, but whats it worth in 2 yrs anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Qft

grand, i upped it to 1.6v and all seems well, got an even higher 3dmk score :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah 3Dmark06 seems to be very weird with the CPU score. It always fluctuates a lot for me. I'd run through it once, get a score, then run through it again straight away and get a CPU score over 100 points higher.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah 3Dmark06 seems to be very weird with the CPU score. It always fluctuates a lot for me. I'd run through it once, get a score, then run through it again straight away and get a CPU score over 100 points higher.

same here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Second run will always be slightly higher as some info will be cached from 1st run. All record runs are second time runs, read an article bout it before

Advertisement