Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mooneys Wildlife Programme

• 02-01-2008 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

A few weeks ago on Mooneys radio wildlife show, somebosy rang in regarding holes in their garden which were circular & the soil was disappearing. They said they were going to investigate what it was.
    However, I couldnt listen the week after. Anybody know if they found out what it was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Something very unexpected...a ventilation shaft for a Badger Set!

I think you can listen to it from here: http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/archive/index.html - show on December 21st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Something very unexpected...a ventilation shaft for a Badger Set!

I think you can listen to it from here: http://www.rte.ie/radio/mooneygoeswild/archive/index.html - show on December 21st.

Podcast wont work on my PC :(

I dont get it. How could somebody not know there was a ventilation shaft being put in their garden :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Coz the shaft is constucted from below...

Attempting to summarise from memory...the program explained that badgers add new tunnels continuously to sets, so they become very extensive over time. To keep the air fresh, they build in the odd ventilation shaft...by tunneling up to the surface from below. This one happenned to open up in the middle of a lawn. The reporter/woman were able to look down into the shaft with a torch and they could see a few metres down to the tunnel proper below.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bohemian86

Coz the shaft is constucted from below...

Attempting to summarise from memory...the program explained that badgers add new tunnels continuously to sets, so they become very extensive over time. To keep the air fresh, they build in the odd ventilation shaft...by tunneling up to the surface from below. This one happenned to open up in the middle of a lawn. The reporter/woman were able to look down into the shaft with a torch and they could see a few metres down to the tunnel proper below.

Actually heard them talking about little egrets the other day. Saw one in my back garden one morning and got the surprise of my life.

Advertisement