Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Greens plan to introduce "Carbon Levy" on Motorists

Options
  • 02-01-2008 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

hi,

I saw on the news last night Gormley stating there will be a green levy introduced in the budget for 2009.

Does anyone know in what shape or form will this take to hit our pockets? Is there going to be a new and additional tax on petrol and diesel?

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If they follow the UK model it'll be extra tax on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Carbon tax my arse (Anyone remember how the millimium bug was going to destroy us and look how that turned out)

Yeah it's possibly how they are going to stab the motorist in the back again. From the 1/7/08 a lot of people will switch to diesel cos of the potential savings but I'll bet there'll be a levy put onto diesel more so than petrol to account for the loss of revenue.

I think the greens will be like the PD's come the next election ie dessimated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

carbon tax is an economy wide tax not just a motoring tax. Chippers will have to pay it on their emissions etc... households on their coal and electricity bills.

Motoring tax my arse:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

An extra tax is hardly the thing we need given that we already pay stupendous amounts of road tax, VRT etc and the economy is taking a massive downturn. If fuel tax is going up, then there had better be a reduction in VRT and road tax.

I presume this is an additional tax, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I'm sure they will sort out the public transport problems fully first so that I ( along with many others) will have a realistic way of getting to work on time other than taking the car!

The purpose of a carbon tax is to offset the €100m (approx) in fines that we face each year for exceeding our carbon limits. We can buy carbon credits, but it works out the same.

The best way (and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves) to affect human behaviour in 2008 in Ireland; is not alternatives but a hit in the wallet. I wouldn't take the bus to town if I could avoid it. It stops at the end of the road, but comes at 20 minute intervals and takes another 20 to get there with other stops. I could walk in 15 or drive and park in 5. I'd prefer to pay than wait. The bus service is fine for school runs and pensioners in no hurry. I prefer my creature comforts and being able to drop stuff back to the car as I shop rather than lug it around.

I still prefer to walk, but the rain puts paid to that!!

NO other taxes will be reduced. Economics defines a tax (among other things) as a way to disincentivise unfavourable habits, reducing other taxes would negate the whole point.

I see it more likely that it will affect home heating and industry slightly more than motorists.

That said, petrol/diesel will probably have an increase in excise of 10-15%

Polluter pays....boards members here will be delighted:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ninty9er wrote: »
    It stops at the end of the road, but comes at 20 minute intervals and takes another 20 to get there with other stops.

Well isn't that nice for you....a bus last stopped down the road from my house some time in the 1970s.....

NO other taxes will be reduced. Economics defines a tax (among other things) as a way to disincentivise unfavourable habits, reducing other taxes would negate the whole point.

So it's an extra tax then.

Economics will also tell you that taxes make markets less efficient and that means companys make less and sell for less but the consumer ends up paying more. Anyway the Enviornment is an externality as far as economics is concerned.

I think I speak for most of us here when I say that we want an additional fuel tax instead of VRT, not in addition to VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jhegarty wrote: »
    Well isn't that nice for you....a bus last stopped down the road from my house some time in the 1970s.....

Pah, 1970s... The last time there was public transport to the nearest supermarket from where my parents house is was 1953, when the Londonderry & Lough Swilly Railway closed, but that still required a 3 mile walk and a boat :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

With the economy slowing, unemployment rising, oil now over $100 a barrel, it looks like the govt will plough us straight into recession.. at times like this taxes need to be reduced...

But sure this is the Government that has "experience" and is "good at managing the economy":rolleyes:!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote: »
    With the economy slowing, unemployment rising, oil now over $100 a barrel, it looks like the govt will plough us straight into recession.. at times like this taxes need to be reduced...

Well that is pretty much what the greens want. Recession = no builidng = fewer cars sold = more people growning spuds in their back garden.

These carbon fines and kyoto stuff is a ball of smoke (pardon the pun). We don't have to pay if we don't want! Maybe George W was right when he said "sod the lot of them". And considering he did, and considering the co2 from America and China, are we not some idiots to be punishing ourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote: »
    Well that is pretty much what the greens want.
    I think it's more sinister than that. I think Gormley is witless and FF are letting him dream up extra taxes so that they can blame the greens when the economy goes boom!

I think it's more sinister than that. I think Gormley is witless and FF are letting him dream up extra taxes so that they can blame the greens when the economy goes boom!

I must say I'm inclined towards that theory too, but if those people who could switch from the Greens to FG/Labour(or if FG and Lab people just didn't transfer to the Greenies at the next General Election)then it would put the frighteners on Feel and Fail cause they were only 3 seats short the last time(and FG/Lab transfers got the Greens in in 2 constituencies instead of FG people(Dun Laoghaire and Carlow), there was a third place where these transfers got a Green in instead of a Labour person, the place where it was escapes me at the moment).

Sure FF canvessors said at the last General Election to people when asked about the health service that that was the PD's fault and nothing to do with FF.

E92 wrote: »
    I must say I'm inclined towards that theory too, but if those people who could switch from the Greens to FG/Labour(or if FG and Lab people just didn't transfer to the Greenies at the next General Election)then it would put the frighteners on Feel and Fail cause they were only 3 seats short the last time(and FG/Lab transfers got the Greens in in 2 constituencies instead of FG people(Dun Laoghaire and Carlow), there was a third place where these transfers got a Green in instead of a Labour person, the place where it was escapes me at the moment).

Sure FF canvessors said at the last General Election to people when asked about the health service that that was the PD's fault and nothing to do with FF.

Getting political and I didn't make it that way before anyone accuses me!!

Our stance on the doorstep was that we fully supported Mary Harney in the Department of Health and that the whitewash being put on matters by the Lablustre/Fine hot Gale was not going to fix it overnight anymore than anything the current government was doing at the time!

I blame the downfall of the PDs on 1 man - Michael McDowell and not on any other political party.

We're headed for recession. Hell we had one in 2000 in the midst of a spending frenzy by the public. What causes the levels of unemployment being scaremongered here is disincentive to work. High income tax causes this. Consumption taxes such as VRT, VAT and auxilliary taxes affect consumer behaviour. People seem to forget they have a choice as to what they consume. If you can't afford it or it becomes more expensive then don't buy it. You don't need a BMW. Hell nobody needs anything more than a 1.4 Focus or 1.8 Zafira. People will still spend regardless of tax, but will spend their income differently, which is what is intended with these carbon taxes.

Just because the US administration has decided to abandon it's responsibility to its people, its nation and the international community doesn't mean we have to do the same. It's the equivalent of throwing all the toys out of the pram. It has nothing to do with us, just the same as people who overtake me at 50 km/h over the speed limit have nothing to do with me; or will make me do the same! And yes it is comparable in that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

+1

A carbon tax will kill the greens in the next election (hopefully)and lets hope its sooner than later and with any luck it will be sooner because Bertie is finding it hard to remember all the lies he told!:o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its a pity they didn't think of using the polluter pays principal when designing the recent VRT & motor tax changes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Our stance on the doorstep was that we fully supported Mary Harney in the Department of Health and that the whitewash being put on matters by the Lablustre/Fine hot Gale was not going to fix it overnight anymore than anything the current government was doing at the time!

I blame the downfall of the PDs on 1 man - Michael McDowell and not on any other political party.

We're headed for recession. Hell we had one in 2000 in the midst of a spending frenzy by the public. What causes the levels of unemployment being scaremongered here is disincentive to work. High income tax causes this. Consumption taxes such as VRT, VAT and auxilliary taxes affect consumer behaviour. People seem to forget they have a choice as to what they consume. If you can't afford it or it becomes more expensive then don't buy it. You don't need a BMW. Hell nobody needs anything more than a 1.4 Focus or 1.8 Zafira. People will still spend regardless of tax, but will spend their income differently, which is what is intended with these carbon taxes.

Just because the US administration has decided to abandon it's responsibility to its people, its nation and the international community doesn't mean we have to do the same. It's the equivalent of throwing all the toys out of the pram. It has nothing to do with us, just the same as people who overtake me at 50 km/h over the speed limit have nothing to do with me; or will make me do the same! And yes it is comparable in that way!

here we go again more FF rubbish.
    :mad::mad::mad:
    this is a motors forum not a FF Stage!... get off (PUSH):eek::eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

trolling is the word you're looking for, and it is exactly what you're doing.........
    What causes the levels of unemployment being scaremongered here is disincentive to work. High income tax causes this.
    bull****. High income tax is a tool to prop a creaking behemoth FF designed public service (paradox :rolleyes:) from a shrinking working population. The success we've enjoyed til recently has been entirely on the basis of LOWERING taxes.....
    Consumption taxes such as VRT, VAT and auxilliary taxes affect consumer behaviour.
    over simplistic garbage. Turning off the lights leaves people in the dark, what does that prove? That darkness saves electricity.......?? There NOTHING you can buy - a product or service, that does not have tax, and you must consume them all. Including water to schools, remember......
    People seem to forget they have a choice as to what they consume
    No, they don't. Electricity. Car (don't even pretend that there is 'public transport' - the only public transport in this country is that which it provides for itself - cars/jeeps/motorcycles,etc.
    If you can't afford it or it becomes more expensive then don't buy it.
    You can't afford it BECAUSE it becomes more expensive......
    You don't need a BMW. Hell nobody needs anything more than a 1.4 Focus or 1.8 Zafira. People will still spend regardless of tax, but will spend their income differently, which is what is intended with these carbon taxes.
    Bull****. Speak for yourself. You may want to drive a Focus/Zafira - off you go, but don't dare to dictate to us what we should drive - do I dictate what you should eat, or where you live?
    Completely irrelevant. If this entire country drove Prii, then it would not make ONE IOTA of difference to climate change - not as long as China opens one COAL burning electricity plant per week.

This entire 'eco-friendly' thing has got out of control............what about people, and their entitlements to a decent comfortable life based on the fruits of their labours??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

BOOOOOO!!!

Leave us alone- you already have all our money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

**** news in the short term but fantastic in the long term.

This is going to bury the Green Party almost permanently. There's going to be so much resentment towards them it will be unreal.

galwaytt wrote: »
    This entire 'eco-friendly' thing has got out of control............what about people, and their entitlements to a decent comfortable life based on the fruits of their labours??

I'd wager the majority of people here are very environmentally conscious. I know I am.

Solving a 'problem' like the recent VRT changes is only a smokescreen. This is not the US- it was so expensive to drive before they did anything, we already had an overwhelming majority of small cc cars and diesels (even though they costed far too much thusfar) on the nations crappy roads.

There is no justification for further victimisation of the motorist. I have said this a thousand times before- Island nation with sparse population density, poor public transport and notoriously long commutes. If anyone needs cars it's us- nationally, we cannot change this.

It's like the government has us in a headlock and is taunting us with the old stop hitting yourself routine.

If opeople are going to refuse to vote for the Greenies because of this, then they must ALSO not vote for FF.

Has nobody ever heard of collective responsibility? The Greens may have come up with this hair brained idea, but FF haven't blocked it, so that means they think it's not bad at the very least, so if you're not going to vote for the Greens because of this, then logic dictates that you mustn't vote for FF either.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

Credit for a well-written riposte from galwaytt.

Bualadh Bos...

Credit for a well-written riposte from galwaytt.

Bualadh Bos...

Well written:confused::confused:

If ANY of you believe that

a) the Greens are behind this

or

b) A FG/Labour lead coalition wouldn't have done the exact same with VRT

then you seriously need to take wake up to reality. You are forgetting that this is not the US and it certainly isn't China, and while some of you may choose not to listen to your social conscience, if I choose to drive a polluter, which I inevitably will, then I've got to be willing to pay for the PRIVELAGE.

Driving a Punto is a necessity. Driving a 300g/km CO2 S600 is a LUXURY. Get over it. And if you can't see that then you've lost sight of the very social Mecca you yearn for so much.

I'm perfectly within my rights as a citizen, FF member and boards user to give a supportive perspective on these moves. So unless you want to stop complaining about them on the motors forum, don't expect me to stop rebutting.

Been through this already to the point of frustration. If you believe what you have just said it is just plain naiveity.

Cars don't pollute burning fossil fuels pollutes- Using said Punto for 25k a year is a lot more harmful than using the S600 for 5k a year of weekend driving.

Conclusion; draw your own- there's only one and it's bloody well obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote: »
    Cars don't pollute burning fossil fuels pollutes

QFT

The current government did want to look to be doing something, but they don't have the balls to apply the "polluter pays" principle by sticking another €0.50 excise on the price of a litre of fuel

Of course a politician can't admit being a coward, so they are trying to justify it with "you can afford luxury goods so you have to pay the price" type of rhetoric :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

From what I can see there will be no getting away from the carbon levy, motorist or not.
    The Green Party are nothing but a bunch of puppets for FF to push out more money grabbing ideas and let them take the flak for it.
    • If say for talk sake we could all depend on public transport for going to work the price of the fair would go up cause of an increase in use, more CO2 emissions, maintance costs and there would be less trips to the filling station (less money for the Bertie bunch).
    • Less trips to the garage mean increase in the price of petrol & diesel.
    • Being able to depend on public transport could result in less new car sales and less likely hood of VRT & Taxes coming down.
    • If electric cars came in electricity prices would go up.
    There's no way of getting away from it, if we all decided to use bicycles GP/FF would probably slap a carbon tax on them too cause we are breathing more :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    The current government did want to look to be doing something, but they don't have the balls to apply the "polluter pays" principle by sticking another €0.50 excise on the price of a litre of fuel

They don't have the balls to do something which could seriously hit our competitiveness and have a massive inflationary effect... God, they must be cowards!

People gave out about the PDs too, and they were all for lowering taxes. Some people I have reached the conclusion just like to give out.

It is stupid talk to go on about public transport. Yes, it is vital, and it needs major investment, but it is not the magic answer. I or my neighbours and at least a million more will never be able to go to work without a car... end of story.

Advertisement