Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induction Hobs

Options
  • 02-01-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I am half thinking of getting an induction hob for our new house. Any advice on:

[a] whether this is a good idea or not, compared to a standard electric hob (I have always used gas up to now, so am a bit in the dark about electric hobs)

what is a good brand/place to buy one? I went to Harvey Normans at the weekend and they only had one type. Can't remember the brand, but it was around €550.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

As far as I know Induction hobs need their own spply via the fuse board ( separate from the current cooker supply ) because of the power rating.

Could be wrong but I was going to get one but the house had already been wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

plus be aware that you cant use any old pots and pans with the induction hobs ,they have to be a certain type and can be quite expensive -thats something that salesstaff prob wont tell you

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

We have one and it is brilliant. Didn't need a separate feed from the fusebox.
    We did need new pans but got them from Argos so weren't that expensive.

Very quick to heat up as it isn't the hob that heats but the pan heats directly.
    We got a de-dietrich one for about 700 and it is my favourite thing in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

knighted wrote: »
    plus be aware that you cant use any old pots and pans with the induction hobs ,they have to be a certain type and can be quite expensive -thats something that salesstaff prob wont tell you
    There have to be ferro magnetic afaik, so this would be alot of modern pans anyway. No glass, no copper, some steels don't work great, but alot (not all) of existing pans should work

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

we got a Bosch one for a bout a grand last year.
    Its excellent, much quicker than gas and infinitely quicker than electric ring.
    Stainless steel pots work fine, dont need to go out and buy special ones.
    If a magnet sticks to it you are fine.

The only issue we have had is finding a griddle pan, they all seem to be alu these days (except Le Creuset which are very heavy and expensive)

I put in an extra feed to the CU as the combination of hob and cooker would probably trip during Christmas etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

I am getting one installed in my new kitchen no problem getting pots etc. I just went around with a small magnet to check. The only issue is I cant find a tea pot that will work. (This is a big problem for me as I drink a lot of tea!)
    Anyone come across a teapot suitable for induction hobs.
    HJS

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

HJ Simpson wrote: »
    Anyone come across a teapot suitable for induction hobs.
    who loves ya? Google does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Woohoo,, thank you GreeBo!

Advertisement