Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calories in takeaways- no wonder I was so fat!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow! The parmesan shrimp pasta one really surprised me. I wonder how many calories there'd be without the parmesan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

:eek:

That is astounding. Some of those calorie and fat intakes are colossal. I was amazed at the chicken salad as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

:eek:

That is astounding. Some of those calorie and fat intakes are colossal. I was amazed at the chicken salad as well.

Like I mentioned it is US chains. And they might have unusually large portions. I will have a look later for UK/Irish ones. I know McDonalds have info on their sites, abrakebabra have them on the sheets on the trays too.

Cakes & pizzas are VERY high. The ones in takeaways always seem way more fatty than frozen ones (why people think they taste better). But in the supermarket I always take a double take when checking pizzas, I think the calories are high, and then notice it is only quoted for a 1/2 pizza :eek:

rubadub wrote: »
    Like I mentioned it is US chains. And they might have unusually large portions. I will have a look later for UK/Irish ones. I know McDonalds have info on their sites, abrakebabra have them on the sheets on the trays too.

Cakes & pizzas are VERY high. The ones in takeaways always seem way more fatty than frozen ones (why people think they taste better). But in the supermarket I always take a double take when checking pizzas, I think the calories are high, and then notice it is only quoted for a 1/2 pizza :eek:
    Hey rubadub, I've starting taking your advice when eating Thai or japanese food (I hate chinese) and always order a side of vegetables instead of rice. Although I do love that sticky rice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I worked in a Chinese years ago and if you saw the amount of fat that goes into a curry sauce, I promise you would vomit. That fake chineese food is really really bad for you in all ways not just fattening it is dreadful for your health.

And who ever said fried rice is better than boiled has to be joking, it is full of fat, insulin or GI is not everything, I am sure pure lard has a low GI, not great for health either. I wonder what nutrition advise we will be giving when the atkins diet is less popular. In the same way people were brainwashed by low fat its now low carb, vinegar on take aways are going to make them less damaging. Some of this advise is scary. Where are you getting this? Now magazine?

you would never ever see any of the chinese cooks eating fried rice in the take-away I worked in, they would eat big heaps of veg in black bean sauce or a light pepper sauce, lean meat and some rice, they were not fat, Irish people who eat ****e like curry sauce and fried rice are fat. Fairly simple if you dont want to be fat dont eat chicken balls and chips, it really is as far from food as you can go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hey rubadub, I've starting taking your advice when eating Thai or japanese food (I hate chinese) and always order a side of vegetables instead of rice.
    Good choice if you have to eat out. Best advice would be learn to cook your own. Could still be full of MSG and other additives.

I worked in a Chinese years ago and if you saw the amount of fat that goes into a curry sauce, I promise you would vomit.
    A mate said the same about an indian place. I always knew it, I have a taste for fat, also drop some sauce on the brown bag and watch it go transparent. Some will go on about takeaway curry sauce saying it is not the same as supermarket jars, that is since they load it with fat and other crap, your body gets a hit of calories and your brain registers this as being nice. Primal recognition of the need to stay alive, basic urge for calories/fuel.

hey rubadub, I make some damn fine curries - green, red, panang, massaman. I always put tons of veg and meat in, use low fat coconut milk and really water it down so a pot can last a few days for two people. Also, Tom Yam is a favourite as is meat with chilli, garlic and basil... yum, I'm making myself hungry typing this

I'm very fussy about take aways and only go to places where I know everything is fresh. Thai food out of a chinese is just glorified chinese - loaded with salt and msg.

Advertisement